2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Somebody in the FO is going to have to force Dusty's hand.

This has to happen at some point. You can’t just keep penciling in the literal worst everyday player in baseball into a critical spot just because he used to be good. We’re almost 30% of the way through the season; this isn’t a “slump,” there is something fundamentally wrong with him and there is no rationale for batting him 4th while he figures out how to fix it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There's no fixing father time.

Right. But he’s going to get time to try to adjust to it. I’m just saying it is professional malpractice to bat him cleanup while there is no reason to believe he’s going to be productive any time soon. It’s not Dusty’s fault that Abreu has completely fallen off a cliff; it is Dusty’s fault that he continues to bat in one of the most important lineup slots every day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Right. But he’s going to get time to try to adjust to it. I’m just saying it is professional malpractice to bat him cleanup while there is no reason to believe he’s going to be productive any time soon. It’s not Dusty’s fault that Abreu has completely fallen off a cliff; it is Dusty’s fault that he continues to bat in one of the most important lineup slots every day.

Whose fault is it maldy plays 90% of the time?  3 putt. That’s who. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Judging by this thread, one would think the Astros were on a 7 game losing streak, not a winning one. SMH

keep Abreu at 4 or 5, we need his bat for a long playoff run. We’re stuck with  him and that contract 

I thought Diaz should have caught yesterday. Keep bringing him along. Maldy’s bat is heating up. 

Fingers crossed for all 3 of our rookie starters. Scouting will soon catch up to them. We’ll see how they react 

keep healing up

we are in the thick of it, with a wounded squad. Dusty and the staff are doing a great job. Remember people being upset when Strom left ?

I think blanco is the next man up to get spot start 

2 hours ago, WBT said:

I already christened .150 as the Maldonado line last year but maybe it didn't take

To be fair, Mendoza hit below .200 in 4 of his full seasons to merit the line being named for him, while Maldonado has never hit below .150. Yet. But .190 would be pretty accurate.

Fun fact: Mendoza has the higher career batting average.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

keep Abreu at 4 or 5, we need his bat for a long playoff run. We’re stuck with  him and that contract 

fans GIF

I don’t follow the logic. Because we’re overpaying him and because we hope he’s not useless in the playoffs, we should continue to put him in the middle of the order now? He’s been worse than Maldy at the plate. It’s not bad luck: his expected stats are worse than Maldy’s.

There is not a single reasonable explanation for slotting Abreu higher in the order than Tucker. In what universe would anyone want Abreu to come to bat more frequently than Tucker? Hell, he should probably bat behind Pena and Chas too, but that is less egregious.

If Dusty insists, flip Yordan and Bregman and move Tucker to cleanup to get your r-l-r-l in the order. But for the love of god, stop deliberately handicapping your lineup every day. The FO needs to intervene if Dusty is truly too stubborn to see it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I haven’t watched sports center in years. Looooot wnba highlights / talk, zero Astros highlights or even the score 

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

fans GIF

I don’t follow the logic. Because we’re overpaying him and because we hope he’s not useless in the playoffs, we should continue to put him in the middle of the order now? He’s been worse than Maldy at the plate. It’s not bad luck: his expected stats are worse than Maldy’s.

There is not a single reasonable explanation for slotting Abreu higher in the order than Tucker. In what universe would anyone want Abreu to come to bat more frequently than Tucker? Hell, he should probably bat behind Pena and Chas too, but that is less egregious.

If Dusty insists, flip Yordan and Bregman and move Tucker to cleanup to get your r-l-r-l in the order. But for the love of god, stop deliberately handicapping your lineup every day. The FO needs to intervene if Dusty is truly too stubborn to see it. 

we’re winning 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Ride it out until it needs to be changed. Have to hope for the best here 

when it happened, I knew it was the better move but I would have been much happier with yuli and a rookie Diaz backing him up. Wish we would have followed the heart strings on this one. 

Edited by tx 3 putt