2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

I will never get over 2019.

I mean yeah, same, because the Astros will never have a better team than that one.

But that WS wasn’t really some massive upset. WAS had the best record in baseball over the last 2/3 of that season, had very high-end offensive players (Soto, an actually healthy Rendon, Turner, etc.), and a HOF starter plus Strasburg healthy and pitching up to his potential for the only time in his career (don’t forget how elite he was as a prospect). Corbin was actually good at that point too. The rotations were basically a wash in 2019. 

If those teams played 100 times, I’d guess the Astros would have won a few more than 50, but probably not that many more.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

I will never get over 2019.

15 of our 25 players on that World Series roster had/have an All-Star game on their resume.

Of the other 10, 3 have Gold Gloves and one has a batting title. 

There's a case to be made that it is the most talented roster in baseball history.  Still can't believe we didn't win.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Same.

Last year's redemptive WS title was as meaningful to me as 2017. I'm done crying about coulda/shoulda 2019..

Last years team was very very worthy and deserving of a world series title. 

2019 was one of the 10 greatest teams ever, in my opinion, if they'd have finished with a world series title. I loved that team. 

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The 2019 team's bullpen was complete trash and blew up in the playoffs specifically the WS.

False.  ERA+ for our relievers that year:

Osuna- 176

Devo- 96

Rondon- 125

Harris- 309 !!!!!

Presley 200

Josh James- 99

Joe Smith- 260

Collin McHugh- 99

Those were the guys that got 28 or more appearances out of the bullpen.  The top 6 guys on that all got 49 games or more, and then Smith got 28 out of the bullpen and Mchugh got 27 out of the bullpen.  That's 3 guys who are average, 1 guy who is good and 4 guys who are at insane production.  Now, they did sort of shit the bed in the playoffs.  

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

As a lifelong Houston sports fan, 2022 erased the pain of 2019 with a quickness. 

2022 was huge on multiple levels.

Fuck you, Manfred.

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

Hard to overstate how good of a piece of hitting Kendrick's HR was.  Harris absolutely hit his spot and Kendrick just beat him.  Sigh.

Devenski - 9.00 era in 3 IP

Harris - 4.50 era in 4 IP

James - 10.80 era in 1.2 IP

Osuna - 3.86 era in 2.1 IP

Peacock - 3.00 in 3 IP

Pressly - 3.86 in 3 IP

Rondon - 0 in 1 IP

Smith - 5.40 in 3.1 IP

The bullpen was a fucking disaster in that series and tied with Verlander for the biggest reason the Astros lost it.

Trying to get 7 out of Bielak just seems greedy

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Devenski - 9.00 era in 3 IP

Harris - 4.50 era in 4 IP

James - 10.80 era in 1.2 IP

Osuna - 3.86 era in 2.1 IP

Peacock - 3.00 in 3 IP

Pressly - 3.86 in 3 IP

Rondon - 0 in 1 IP

Smith - 5.40 in 3.1 IP

The bullpen was a fucking disaster in that series and tied with Verlander for the biggest reason the Astros lost it.

Ok, cool.  It's a 7 game series.

This team is completely dependent on 2 bats to carry 7 other players. Hopefully Bregman and Altuve can somehow make it 4 carrying 5.

It's fucking ridiculous Crane with all the money he is printing decided to roll with this team.

Dubon, Meyers, Maldonado fucking suck. Their careers have proven they fucking suck. Abreu's last season was a great indicator that he was done.

8 hits with 2 EBs against the shitty Milwaukee pitchers is embarrassing. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This team is completely dependent on 2 bats to carry 7 other players. Hopefully Bregman and Altuve can somehow make it 4 carrying 5.

It's fucking ridiculous Crane with all the money he is printing decided to roll with this team.

Dubon, Meyers, Maldonado fucking suck. Their careers have proven they fucking suck. Abreu's last season was a great indicator that he was done.

8 hits with 2 EBs against the shitty Milwaukee pitchers is embarrassing. 

Who should he have signed?