2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

30 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I swear I saw some good swings from him in Spring Training.  What the fuck happened between West Palm Beach and Houston?  And it's not simply better pitching, because this dude is now whiffing on meatballs.

That's the one thing I'm holding out to as faint hope.  But, Yuli did the same thing last year and crushed ST and then was dogshit all year (before being good in the playoffs!) so I've seen it happen.  With the Astros.  With an old guy. Who played first base. Who hailed from Cuba.  

That's a lot of shit right there...

Every pitch to him should be an inner half fastball.  He has no chance at those.  There was a game a few weeks ago where he was getting pitched inside constantly and he was wildly flying open trying to get around on them because he was starting to get desperate.  That's when I knew it was over.

Edited by kevwun

Pulled a single through the left side yesterday.
Yeah day game didn't get to see it but if thats the case then thats good because he hasn't pulled a ball in forever it seemed like. Mostly all his doubles and homers in spring were pulled.

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I swear I saw some good swings from him in Spring Training.  What the fuck happened between West Palm Beach and Houston?  And it's not simply better pitching, because this dude is now whiffing on meatballs.

What happened is pitchers started pitching for real.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Every pitch to him should be an inner half fastball.  He has no chance at those.  There was a game a few weeks ago where he was getting pitched inside constantly and he was wildly flying open trying to get around on them because he was starting to get desperate.  That's when I knew it was over.

At some point you have to stop swinging at them. He had his best BB% the past 2 seasons, but it has dropped 2% this year, while his K% is the worst of his career along with his ISO. He's pressing and swinging at bad pitches he knows he can't hit, but he's also done.

His plate discipline is absolute garbage for a guy who has been damn good as a hitter over his career.  He can't catch up, but guys are still throwing him tons of breaking balls.  Just sit on those period.  Get yourself out of the funk and then try for a fastball here and there.  

I saw him hit 95+ fastballs in Spring Training.  It makes zero sense for him not to be able to do it now.  Maybe he's just pressing horribly, but seems like he just sucks now.  

24 minutes ago, runthebone said:

They should check his vision, too.  Maybe have the guys in front of him take out the back line of the batter's box so he can stand back by the catcher.

after jr Richards, entire team should take a spring training physical with heart checks, vision and dental. 

57 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Should have never drafted him is more like it

Pete Alonso, Bo bichette or Brian McReynolds, Corbin burnes, Bieber all taken after numb nuts 🥺🥺🥺

Numb nuts would have been there in the 2nd or 3rd 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

Pete Alonso, Bo bichette or Brian McReynolds, Corbin burnes, Bieber all taken after numb nuts 
Numb nuts would have been there in the 2nd or 3rd 

dane dunning
gavin lux
will smith (LAD)
brian reynolds
pete alonso
bo bichette
sean murphy
dustin may
zac gallen
corbin burnes
shane bieber

were all taken in the next 105 picks after whitley
  • Rage+1 2

That wasn’t a bad pick. At one time you could have traded him for anyone in baseball. I’ve officially given up. The day I officially gave up on Jake Meyers was the day he had that conference about putting his foot down or something like that and took off. Hopefully this will be the same. 

I've seen Brown and Whitley pitch in AAA the last two years.  There was no comparison.  Whitley was like that once upon a time before his attitude and injuries got in the way.  He fixed his attitude, but he just can't stay healthy and his stuff isn't as good as it was.

Edited by kevwun

10 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

dane dunning
gavin lux
will smith (LAD)
brian reynolds
pete alonso
bo bichette
sean murphy
dustin may
zac gallen
corbin burnes
shane bieber

MLB draft, man. But hey, this team won a couple WS since that pick was made.

More depressing is the fact that in 1991 the club had Bagwell, Biggio, Schilling (fuck him but he was really good), Lofton, Finley and Gonzalez (who both posted 5-win seasons with the Astros), plus Kyle and all those other pitchers that came up. Good lord we shipped off some serious talent.

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

dane dunning
gavin lux
will smith (LAD)
brian reynolds
pete alonso
bo bichette
sean murphy
dustin may
zac gallen
corbin burnes
shane bieber

May is more injury prone than Whitley. Now, the last 3 pitchers on that list, yikes.

53 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Having Alonso instead of Abreu right now would be incredible. 

Every club in the MLB (and NFL, NBA, ect) could play this game all day. That being said, I think we owe it to Whitley to give him a shot somewhere else. Its just not panning out. 

22 minutes ago, texashorne said:

That being said, I think we owe it to Whitley to give him a shot somewhere else. Its just not panning out. 

What exactly do we owe Whitley for?  Seems like he owes us the 3 million dollars he got in signing bonus. 

• Hook 'Em 2

He would have bee called up years ago if he had come in to the organization with his head on straight and not in a pile of cocaine.  There's no way to know what would have happened with his injury problems, but him still being in the minors at this point is his own fault.