2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

10 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm an Angels fan, so I expect Joyce to suffer a career-ending injury any day now.

But he's a bad motherfucker.

he struck out.

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

foul tip, strike out 

I obviously missed that important aspect. 😆 

12 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I keep forgetting Anaheim has arguably the two best players in baseball not named Yordan on their team.

You'd never know it from their W-L records, but there it is.

are you fucking kidding me?  Shohei is the greatest player in the game, and will likely go down as the greatest ever. 

35 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

are you fucking kidding me?  Shohei is the greatest player in the game, and will likely go down as the greatest ever. 

Too bad he'll never play in or pitch a playoff game for the Angels.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I keep forgetting Anaheim has arguably the two best players in baseball not named Yordan on their team.

You'd never know it from their W-L records, but there it is.

Pregame Dontrelle Willis or Dexter Fowler was saying that the Ohtani would likely be on a different team if the Angels have a losing record in June. He's obviously leaving after this season, so it comes down to how bad the Angels fuck this up.

For a similar talented player, the Nationals got 4 prospects for Soto.

Abrams and Gore have contributed 1.9 WAR this year, while Soto is at 2 WAR.

11 hours ago, Scraps said:
11 hours ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Good thing Trout has shit the bed tonight in big spots lol

Compared to the rest of the league we tend to keep him in pretty good check normally

Yeah, he's just an AS against Houston pitching as opposed to a 1st ballot HOF against almost everyone else.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

For a similar talented player, the Nationals got 4 prospects for Soto.

Not really comparable. The Padres traded for a player with 2 1/3 seasons still under control in. Whoever trades for Ohtani will only be guaranteed to have him for 1/3 of the year. 

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

His career will be fascinating. There’s nobody to compare him to, really, which makes it difficult to quantify his place in history. For example, he’s a great hitter but not yet anything like an all-time great hitter. Same as a pitcher. But of course, he does both. It’s bananas. 

I think WAR gives us something, but that doesn’t really capture the essence of the value of getting all of what he does with a single roster spot. (I think his free agency will also be fascinating this coming offseason; hope he doesn’t go to the dodgers or Yankees, but he almost certainly will.)

Edited by Hank Chinaski

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

His career will be fascinating. There’s nobody to compare him to, really, which makes it difficult to quantify his place in history. For example, he’s a great hitter but not yet anything like an all-time great hitter. Same as a pitcher. But of course, he does both. It’s bananas. 

I think WAR gives us something, but that doesn’t really capture the essence of the value of getting all of what he does with a single roster spot. (I think his free agency will also be fascinating this coming offseason; hope he doesn’t go to the dodgers or Yankees, but he almost certainly will.)

I actually do hope he goes to the Dodgers or Yankees.  He’s about to be the most expensive player in baseball and what I see is a player who’s twice as likely to be injured.  

• Like 1