2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

We’ll be paying a lot of money for Abreu and McCullers to produce nothing the next couple of years. That’s going to be problematic (it already is and will continue to be).

And the guy who isn’t playing at all is actually a better value than the one who is.

I would write something like “this is exactly how windows close and dynasties end” but I don’t want to be too negative for a Friday. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

We’ll be paying a lot of money for Abreu and McCullers to produce nothing the next couple of years. That’s going to be problematic (it already is and will continue to be).

And the guy who isn’t playing at all is actually a better value than the one who is.

I would write something like “this is exactly how windows close and dynasties end” but I don’t want to be too negative for a Friday. 

we can only hope the best 

34 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Forest Whitley and dipshit from Tennessee hitting their ceilings are how they are extended. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. 
just a reminder- we faded 2 years of JV making 33M and giving us nothing and had an ALCS and WS berth to show for it. This isn’t any more onerous than that- but yeah- not great Bob. 

38 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

we can only hope the best 

You can hope in one hand and shit in the other…

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Forest Whitley and dipshit from Tennessee hitting their ceilings are how they are extended. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

My man, the Whitley dream is dead…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

You can hope in one hand and shit in the other…

My man, the Whitley dream is dead…

I mean- we also have 25M in straight cash honey going directly into the owners pockets so those two contracts aren’t going to be what kills the dynasty though I get your point. 
Also- LMJ could have had an insured contract for at least some of it on the front side. I’d have probably wanted insurance on that before I made that extension. If it’s insured (like JV’s was), then even less reason to give Crane a pass for keeping the payroll artificially low when the team is in a period of contention. 
3M fans, $15 beers and $24 cocktails and lots and lots of Astros merch getting moved (plus that sweet sweet extra 25 Millie a year every time you run through a World Series) says he can light the money of Abreu on fire and not have it matter one bit for competitive purposes. 
Now- he won’t do any of that unless he feels the status of contenders is being threatened so, yeah… it’s not great but it doesn’t have to be fatal either. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- we also have 25M in straight cash honey going directly into the owners pockets so those two contracts aren’t going to be what kills the dynasty though I get your point. 
Also- LMJ could have had an insured contract for at least some of it on the front side. I’d have probably wanted insurance on that before I made that extension. If it’s insured (like JV’s was), then even less reason to give Crane a pass for keeping the payroll artificially low when the team is in a period of contention. 
3M fans, $15 beers and $24 cocktails and lots and lots of Astros merch getting moved (plus that sweet sweet extra 25 Millie a year every time you run through a World Series) says he can light the money of Abreu on fire and not have it matter one bit for competitive purposes. 
Now- he won’t do any of that unless he feels the status of contenders is being threatened so, yeah… it’s not great but it doesn’t have to be fatal either. 

Lance's deal is almost definitely covered by insurance.  As was Verlander's.  If a guy is in the first 3 years of a deal it is very likely, from everything I've ever seen and heard that, it has an insurance policy.  Maybe not to cover the whole amount, but likely with McCullers being young it does.  So the time he's on the DL they are likely getting insurance payments.  

Insurance payments don't count against the cap either, so unless it's hugely prohibitive they have them.  It's part of the reason that the Giants and Mets wanted to renegotiate with Correa.  They couldn't get insurance at rates that made sense unless they took money from his contract to do it.  

The Astros have made money hand over fist.  Abreu and McCullers deals will not effect winning in any shape or form based on money.  They will hurt because they are two previously good players that aren't contributing. The Astros could easily afford to pay into the top tier of the luxury tax, and I think they've been managing money accordingly the last few years because on the outer end of the window they know they will have to.  Crane is not going to allow this team to not be playoff competitive unless he has absolutely no choice

• Hook 'Em 1

Yikes!  I think the only free agent I wanted to make a run at that would’ve helped the team was Eovaldi and he’s due for some regression.  To @Wulaw Horn’s point, the main issue going forward is we don’t have depth to replace an Abreu or LMJ so it’s not about the total budget or cap, it’s that we lost WAR and haven’t replaced it elsewhere 

Oh I’m not saying the window is closing or that nothing can be done to keep it open; just that the more albatross contracts teams have, the less well positioned they are for sustained success. The Astros have been great at avoiding those until now.

Certainly Crane has the money, it’s more about his willingness to spend it (which he seems willing to do). The bigger problem with Abreu is the opportunity cost, in that he takes up a roster spot and there are no real alternatives to him right now, and with his contract he’ll continue to get every chance to turn it around (probably at the cost of not acquiring alternatives). But there’s a decent chance he is done as a productive MLB player despite being compensated like one (and getting the playing time of one).

But point taken on McCullers - not sure how the insurance thing kicks in or affects luxury tax, etc. That could be helpful. 

• Hook 'Em 2