2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

It takes that long to put on your home plate umpire gear ?

I’ll never understand that.

baffles me every time it happens.

But still faster than the time it takes for Odorizzi to get warmed up coming in for an injured pitcher, amirite? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Bregman joined J.D. Martinez and Bobby Bonds -- Barry’s father -- as the only players since 1974 to have a grand slam and four walks in a game. And Bregman is the only player in the modern era to draw at least four walks while hitting a grand slam in his only official at-bat, according to OptaSTATS. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I feel the same way about JD being a constant reminder of how shit goes in player evaluation.  Then I think of the optimism and hope we have every time that former Dodger outfielder from Cuba comes to the plate for our heroes; and I am OK again.

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Bregman joined J.D. Martinez and Bobby Bonds -- Barry’s father -- as the only players since 1974 to have a grand slam and four walks in a game. And Bregman is the only player in the modern era to draw at least four walks while hitting a grand slam in his only official at-bat, according to OptaSTATS. 

game OBP 1.000 and slugging 4.000 right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Last 10 

Rangers 8-2

Stros 7-3

No one else in the AL over 6-4

Last 20

Rangers 14-6

Astros 15-5

Last 30

Rangers 21-9

Astros 20-10

That stupid fuckin loss on Monday to the Twins is the difference.

Gaining ground on Arlington almost feels Sisyphean right now. But yeah it's a long season, and they're not going away. 

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Must be how the Mariners felt last year 

exactly what i've been saying to my friend (M's fan) for the last two weeks

28 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

and getting healthy 

this is the x-factor that makes me so uneasy about this season vs last

50 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

no Altuve again

ugh.

Jose Altuve is out of the lineup today managing his oblique issue but ran and threw on the field. He did not hit. Astros manager Dusty Baker said Altuve is day-to-day. When asked if that means Altuve could play Monday in Toronto, Baker said “Tomorrow’s a long ways off.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Is this Tuckers first game back since his injury?  Feels like it's been a few weeks. 

Diaz at first is an interesting sub. Hopefully they can help Abreu figure his shit out as they got 3 more years of him to go.  

JP France has been pretty good so far, retired the first 6 in a row. 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Diaz can crush the ball

Yep. Pretty sure he could solve one of our two offensive holes if Dusty could ever bring himself to allow him to play more than 2X a week. 

really good news- 7 of the guys who should play every day are now hitting better than league average (Altuve, Yordan, Tucker, Peña, Bregman, Chas and Jake). 
we are likely down to two black holes offensively. Dusty could probably fix both of those if need be. He makes it 3 by playing Julks more than he should- but this team who has been really pretty bad offensively should be better than average going forward. I still maintain it’s a 100+ win team and what I’m seeing lately from Bregman, Altuve, Diaz (small sample size) and Peña is very heartening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Not sure why Diaz retreated back to 3rd base on Maldy's ground ball contact I thought he would  have sprinted home

My guess is he didn’t know where the 3B was, didn’t know it was that tough a play for him. And the ball was hit hard. In retrospect if the contact play was on he likely would have scored.