2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I swear the man just throws darts at a wall when filling out a lineup…they just don’t seem to be based on anything…

Of course, unless Javier and company can pitch a shutout, we'll probably lose regardless of how Dusty arranges the checkerboard. (I refuse to use chessboard and Dusty in the same sentence.) 

• Haha 2

I feel about our outfielders the way I feel about quarterbacks. If you don’t know who’s first they are all last. This rotation system of nobody knowing who’s gonna be in the lineup benefits no one. But the fact is none are good enough to be everyday starters on a first place team. They are the kind of guys that play on 4th place teams and have a good game one out of series and win one game out of series and that we used to sweep or win two out of three consistently. Now we’re the ones getting beat two out of three with those kind of guys. Depending on the day our pitching is first in the league. Getting beat 3-2 day after day isn’t something good teams do. We need a legitimate starting OF with a MLB bat in either left or center and Yordan at DH and Diaz at catcher. That’s been my opinion since April 1 and I ain’t changing it lol. We’re just pissing in the wind as it is now.

14 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

But the fact is none are good enough to be everyday starters on a first place team. 

Chas averages 3.5 fWAR per 600 PAs in his career, and has a career 112 wRC+ (117 in 2023). That is plenty good enough to be an everyday starter. 

Well, it should be, but the manager doesn’t see it somehow.

For reference - there were 17 OFs in MLB last season who had 600 PAs, and only 9 of them had at least 3.5 fWAR. Guys who didn’t reach 3.5 fWAR includes Reynolds, Arozarena, Schwarber and Yelich.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Chas averages 3.5 fWAR per 600 PAs in his career, and has a career 112 wRC+ (117 in 2023). That is plenty good enough to be an everyday starter. 

For reference - there were 17 OFs in MLB last season who had 600 PAs, and only 9 of them had at least 3.5 fWAR. Guys who didn’t reach 3.5 fWAR includes Reynolds, Arozarena, Schwarber and Yelich.

True. Youre right. I get it. I didn’t mean none should be on the team and if we had a legit LF (and I don’t mean Yordan) and Chas in center, Tucker in right, that would be fine. I think Chas should be the guy. I’ve always liked the energy he brings. But Meyers and Julks do just enough that Dusty sits him 3 days a week. Rolling out all three in some sort of rotation hurts them all. And putting 2 or 3 out there at a time isn’t optimal. Trade for an everyday LF and put Chas in center and let’s roll. 
And it’s all kind of mute with the gaping, stink hole at first.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Screw it. No sense being Debbie Downers. Let’s sweep Cleveland, let the Rays sweep Texas and things will look a lot better on Monday morning! Have a good weekend! It’s 5 o’clock somewhere! 

This wouldn’t surprise me one but 

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, Chas has definitely proven he should be an everyday OF.

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

That should be an E, dumb ass Tucker 

throw to fucking 2nd 

Yeah, feels like it should be an unearned run.  If he plays that on the bounce he holds the lead runner to 2nd and the run doesn't score.  They won't give an error for trying for the diving catch though. 

44 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Diaz is the only Astro player that reads the surly thread for positive vibes  

Good at bat Diaz 

Yordan is beloved. 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Maldonado is not an MLB hitter. Astros scored a run when he got the bunt down, no runs when he swung away.

If he’s not going to bunt in that situation the next best decision would be to send him up to the plate without an actual bat.