2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

11 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Zero chance I’m watching this Dusty led bums today. Rather watch a team with heart 

Was telling @Wulaw Horn yesterday…Dusty has managed to make watching the Astros akin to watching the Strong/Herman horns teams, right down to the asinine, irrational personnel decisions. Never thought a baseball manager could actually pull that off, but here we are.

(The obvious difference is that Dusty isn’t responsible for the roster, beyond having some input.)

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m starting to lose a wee bit of faith in this team. 
my faith that Dusty is an incompetent shit bird and Maldy is a vortex of suck is trucking along.

Lineup if I wanted actually win a game with Yordan out…

altuve

pena

bregman

tucker

diaz- C

chas- LF

Jake-CF

Dubon- 1B

Julks-DH 

that’s it. That’s our best lineup. Then when Yordan comes back he bumps Julks as the DH and slides in front of Bregman. 
that’s a 100 win team if we choose to use it (and the pitching stays as good as it’s been- we still 1st or close to it?). 
Give 100 monkeys 100 typewriters and they can bang that out in a couple days. Bet we don’t see that one time while Yordan is gone. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

what took you so long seinfeld GIF

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

altuve

pena

bregman

tucker

diaz- C

chas- LF

Jake-CF

Dubon- 1B

Julks-DH 

that’s it. That’s our best lineup. Then when Yordan comes back he bumps Julks as the DH and slides in front of Bregman. 
that’s a 100 win team if we choose to use it (and the pitching stays as good as it’s been- we still 1st or close to it?). 
Give 100 monkeys 100 typewriters and they can bang that out in a couple days. Bet we don’t see that one time while Yordan is gone. 

Yup, no idea why the concept of playing your best players is lost on Dusty (or, why he can’t figure out who his best players are, or why the front office can’t tell him). I can’t tell if he manages the team like they have a 12-game division lead or like they’re 10 year-olds in little league where everyone gets to play the same amount. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in my frustration last night.  How many days a week do we optimize the lineup and bullpen usage to win that night's game?

And clearly all of the off days are doing a bang up job at preventing injuries!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in my frustration last night.  How many days a week do we optimize the lineup and bullpen usage to win that night's game?

And clearly all of the off days are doing a bang up job at preventing injuries!

Dusty doesn’t have anything to do with bullpen usage is my understanding. I don’t mind not going 3 nights in a row. 

13 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

We’re not snakebit, we are just shitty.

Correct we are a collection of shitty old players that should retire, a bunch of AAAA guys, and some very good stars that are all underperforming. On top of that, we get absolutely nothing from the manager's role and our GM is neutered because the manager reports directly to the owner, who took it upon himself to set up the current shitty organizational hierarchy while attempting to go Jerry Jones the past offseason.

Crane needs to go back to pre-2020 Crane, let Dana do his job, and get rid of Abreu, Maldonado, and Dusty.

I just laugh at the fact that we currently have 2 players on our 26-man active roster, that would literally not be on any other team in the Majors, and we are supposed to be contending for a World Series.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Black Widow Avengers GIF

Jose Abreu by month:
April .231/.259/.269
May .180/.286/.247
June .269/.286/.308

2 Multi hit games this month

Hit safely in 7 of the 8 games he’s played in this month in June.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Hope that he’s just regular shitty instead of super-duper-shitty?

I mean, it’s something, I guess.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Correct we are a collection of shitty old players that should retire, a bunch of AAAA guys, and some very good stars that are all underperforming. On top of that, we get absolutely nothing from the manager's role and our GM is neutered because the manager reports directly to the owner, who took it upon himself to set up the current shitty organizational hierarchy while attempting to go Jerry Jones the past offseason.

Crane needs to go back to pre-2020 Crane, let Dana do his job, and get rid of Abreu, Maldonado, and Dusty.

I just laugh at the fact that we currently have 2 players on our 26-man active roster, that would literally not be on any other team in the Majors, and we are supposed to be contending for a World Series.

This. The shitshow started in November with the GM fiasco and hasn’t let up. The hope is that Crane realizes he fucked up and course-corrects after this shit-static season mercifully ends, by firing Dusty, turning operations over to Brown and staying the fuck out of the way when it comes to roster management. Trust the numbers, not your HOF buddies’ “expertise.”

You know - do what you did before to build the best version of the Astros the franchise has ever known. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Hope that he’s just regular shitty instead of super-duper-shitty?

I mean, it’s something, I guess.

we’re in a horrible position with Abreu, getting excited about one 3 run home run 

🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

hell yea it is 

It should be, and if it's not that falls entirely on Dusty and Crane. The problem is you have stars, but they are injury prone and you have shown no ability to add MLB quality veterans instead of have to rely on Hensley, Meyers, Julks, Salazar, and Kessinger. Then you spent $43M for -2.1 WAR so far. On top of it all, your manager thinks the best way to win individual games is to have a new lineup every game.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, David Dennison said:

Because you think a team with the Astros' record, one of the best in baseball, is out of the playoff hunt on June 10.

Oh ok. I don’t think they’re out of the playoff hunt (the above comment was mostly a joke, intended to highlight how incredibly crappy the lineup is today), particularly since the playoffs have been expanded. 

And their record isn’t the concerning part. If they had this record, but didn’t have massive lineup holes at 1B, C, and an OF spot, their best player on the shelf, a manager who allocates playing time irrationally, a rotation with 2 replacement-ish players and a rookie, and a farm system devoid of difference makers…I’d be more optimistic about their playoff odds.

And yeah, I’m aware that a handful of teams with mediocre records deep into the season have ended up making deep playoff runs and occasionally winning the WS. There are many, many more who end up doing jack shit. It’s not the record; it’s the roster. Of course it’s possible; but from where I sit, all I see is a franchise that had an off-season of really bad decisions, a rash of injuries, a lack of depth, and no urgency. Could they turn it all around? Sure. But why would anyone expect that? Because they’re the Astros?

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

my faith that Dusty is an incompetent shit bird and Maldy is a vortex of suck is trucking along.

altuve

pena

bregman

tucker

diaz- C

chas- LF

Jake-CF

Dubon- 1B

Julks-DH 

Abreu translated those posts, printed them out and taped them to his locker today 

Edited by tx 3 putt