2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

22 minutes ago, runthebone said:

If Abreu can't do anything this weekend against a AAAA team, he needs a fake injury and let Dubon and Diaz play 1B while Abreu goes to the Cuban fountain of youth that keeps their boxers going until 42.

Listen to this man, he’s pre-med. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What are the worst FA contracts ever signed? Abreu could get into the conversation.

Right now, it looks like Strasburg (7 years / $245mm) is in the driver’s seat. He’s in year 4 and has produced 0.0 fWAR. He hasn’t played at all in 2023.

Rendon also got 7/$245 at the same time. This is year 4 and he has 4.0 fWAR so far.

Abreu only got $60mm but is at -1 fWAR. I guess I’d still rather have his contract than Strasburg’s. But good lord, he’s making that money (for the next two years too) to produce worse than what you could reasonably expect from a AAA journeyman.

I am getting to the point where I’m now perversely interested to see just how bad he can be, and just how long we’ll keep trotting him out there. Chris Davis had -2.6 fWAR in 2018…I kinda want to see if Abreu can actually be worse than that. I think he can do it; i mean shit, Davis hit 16 HR that year…

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I am getting to the point where I’m now perversely interested to see just how bad he can be, and just how long we’ll keep trotting him out there. Chris Davis had -2.6 fWAR in 2018…I kinda want to see if Abreu can actually be worse than that. I think he can do it; i mean shit, Davis hit 16 HR that year…

His last contract with Baltimore was 7/$161 million.  He only made it to year 5 and had 2.2 fWAR for the first year and a total of -4.8 over the next 4.

• Drool 1

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

His last contract with Baltimore was 7/$161 million.  He only made it to year 5 and had 2.2 fWAR for the first year and a total of -4.8 over the next 4.

Holy shit. That’s gonna be hard for Abreu to “top”.

Edited by Hank Chinaski