2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

16 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Most of this board is understandably AL-focused. Let’s throw out an NL team that you will be watching. 

I’ll go with the Rockies just to be different. 

I root for the Padres because I once dated this girl from there and she was a huge fan.

17 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Most of this board is understandably AL-focused. Let’s throw out an NL team that you will be watching. 

D-Backs should be interesting with their high-end young talent, though I can’t say I’ll be “watching” them because they’re blacked out on mlb tv where I live.

Padres will be fun because of the possibility of getting the Soto/Tatis of 2019-2021, which would be incredible. Plus they have another future HOFer in his prime.

• Like 1

This ain't ideal. 

San Diego Padres third-base coach Matt Williams has been diagnosed with colon cancer and will be away from the team for an undisclosed period of time.

The news was revealed by Padres manager Bob Melvin on Wednesday afternoon, roughly 24 hours before the team begins its highly anticipated season. Williams will be with the Padres for Opening Day festivities when they host the Colorado Rockies on Thursday, then will undergo surgery to remove a growth near his colon on Friday.

Williams, 57, learned about his condition roughly three weeks ago, when a standard physical revealed a low red-blood-cell count that prompted additional testing. He said he feels "as good as I've felt in 20 years."

"I don't have any symptoms, I don't have any issues," Williams said. "At this point it's important now to get it out of there. That's the plan for Friday, and we'll see how it goes from there. They'll test, and they'll do all the pathology and all of that at that point.

"But the initial scans were positive in that on the initial cat scan they didn't see any spread anywhere else. That's a good thing. We'll see where it goes from there."

There is no timetable for Williams' return to the team. Mike Shildt, the former St. Louis Cardinals manager who is with the Padres as a senior advisor, will coach third base in his absence. 

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Do they have a regional TV network in your area? Never know who's on what these days. 

I live in Albuquerque, and honestly I have no idea. I’ve purchased the mlb.tv package every year since I’ve lived here and I’ve never had traditional cable here. The D-Backs and Rockies are blacked out on mlb.tv. That hasn’t been much of a problem but AZ looks to be interesting this season.

Ironically, I’d probably have legit interest in the Rockies by now because their AAA team is here and I go to a fair number of games every season, but since they’re blacked out, I’ve really never developed that interest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Lulz at 45 year old Pete Rose ph himself over Eric Davis

Gotta break that record.  "NO ONE WANTED TO WIN MORE THAN PETE ROSE!!!"

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that Ray Knight was also a shithead of the highest order.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Gotta break that record.  "NO ONE WANTED TO WIN MORE THAN PETE ROSE!!!"

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that Ray Knight was also a shithead of the highest order.

Two of the biggest tools in a pro sports shed filled with them. Let's throw Dykstra in there, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:36 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Padres. Son lives in SD. We went to Padres- Dodgers last season.  I loved the atmosphere/ culture of the fans and area around stadium. They have some players I don’t necessarily like in Machado and Soto, but the team is pretty damned likable.

Obviously not my favorite team, but I’d like to see them win the pennant.

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lulz at all this “who’s your NL team” beta energy nonsense. My heart only beats for one team, forever & always. It’s opening day time fools

You want to do an avatar bet on the season? Yankees vs Astros. Whoever goes farther in the playoffs gets to chose the other’s avatar for a month. In the off-chance neither make the playoffs or both get knocked off in the same round, then best regular season record wins. 

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lulz at all this “who’s your NL team” beta energy nonsense. My heart only beats for one team, forever & always. It’s opening day time fools

The question was “what NL team will you be watching.” That doesn’t imply that your “heart beats for” them. It implies that you have some degree of interest in watching them for some reason. 

Phillies check in. I'm always a pessimist at the beginning, expecting injuries to cause the bottom to fall out. We already have major injuries (Harper, Hoskins, Ranger Suarez, Andrew Painter) so at least there's been some time to prepare. Some unheralded guys need to break out, at least for a few weeks at a time.

NL East is so tough at the top. Braves should win it basically wire to wire. I think the Mets are a bit overrated (gasp) and won't wreck shop like last season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You want to do an avatar bet on the season? Yankees vs Astros. Whoever goes farther in the playoffs gets to chose the other’s avatar for a month. In the off-chance neither make the playoffs or both get knocked off in the same round, then best regular season record wins. 

Low stakes, I like it. You’re on. Mathematically I’ve got the advantage, no way Astros can make 7 straight ALCS. Only variable is how good the Yankees can do

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Low stakes, I like it. You’re on. Mathematically I’ve got the advantage, no way Astros can make 7 straight ALCS. Only variable is how good the Yankees can do

It’s a bet. As for the low stakes, I wouldn’t wager anything of real value because you have previously shown a tendency to welch. 

12 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s a bet. As for the low stakes, I wouldn’t wager anything of real value because you have previously shown a tendency to welch. 

I welched once, on a bet I made to myself in a fit of rage. No one took me up on it. I was never going to post again if Edwin Encarnacion got a hit in the entire ALCS. Useless fucker lucked into exactly 1 hit. 

I never have bet money on sports. Which I actually regret now because I completely nailed the UConn national champion pick in March madness.

Edited by Helobious

49 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I was in high school when UCLA played Memphis State for the 1973 basketball title. A few hours beforehand, as we were heading back home on the bus from a baseball game, our coach asked us which team we thought would take the title. At the time, UCLA had won 74 straight games. 

"Memphis State," I said. 

"Why?" he asked. 

"Because UCLA can't keep winning forever," I replied. 

"Why not?" he asked. 

I didn't offer an answer, because I didn't have one. We all knew UCLA had the better team. My contrarian prediction had been based only on the law of averages.

Unfortunately, that law is often violated in terms of single event outcomes. And so it was that night, as Bill Walton scored 44 points to lead the Bruins to their 75th straight win, a 21-point blowout. 

Mathematically, no baseball team should make the CS even two straight years, much less seven. Similarly, math says the Yankees shouldn't have racked up 40 pennants in their history. But if any team is good enough, the law of averages means nada. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I LOVE the Astros, but I also thoroughly enjoy baseball in general.  There are certainly other teams who are fun to watch also.  I even watch the evil empire( I don’t hate most of their players) for informed banter with my DIL and her family.

If that’s wrong… Ok, I guess.