2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Cool.  Baseball doesn't have a clock for a reason.  Walks and strikeouts due to a clock are abominable.

Oh, you're one of those goofballs. 

Yes, there was no clock for a reason, that reason was that for over a century the players would just play the game without stupid routines before every pitch and so games didn't last too long with too little actual action filling the time.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Oh, you're one of those goofballs. 

Yes, there was no clock for a reason, that reason was that for over a century the players would just play the game without stupid routines before every pitch and so games didn't last too long with too little actual action filling the time.

Yes, one of those goofballs.  I don't see you complaining about how the last 15 seconds of basketball takes an hour to play, but whatever.

jack-black-middle-finger-fuck-you.gif

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes, one of those goofballs.  I don't see you complaining about how the last 15 seconds of basketball takes an hour to play, but whatever.

jack-black-middle-finger-fuck-you.gif

Sort of covered already but for the record I'm a big fan of the Elam Ending. 

The reason baseball didn't have a clock is because it didn't need one because of how it was played. Now it does. Those olden days you're misremembering frequently had games under 3 hours. 

You're not going to like how this goes. It's only kind of popular now. Wait until east coast media and fans realize they can watch a weeknight road game in California with a 6:05 local / 9:05 Eastern first pitch and still be in bed by midnight. 

I like the pitch clock. A nine inning baseball game should take three hours, Back before every game was on TV they would often be done in two and a half hours.

JP Howell was one of my favorite UT pitchers because he fired it up there like a machine gun. The catcher would barely get it out of his hand before it would be flying back at him.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The reason baseball didn't have a clock is because it didn't need one because of how it was played. Now it does. Those olden days you're misremembering frequently had games under 3 hours. 

I still am not seeing a reason why games need to have a time limit.  You know going into it that it's going to be at least 3 hours and could go all fucking night.  That's the beauty of it.  You are free to leave at any time, but the game will conclude on its own volition, or a word like that.

Edited by Biff Tannen

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I like the pitch clock. A nine inning baseball game should take three hours, Back before every game was on TV they would often be done in two and a half hours.

JP Howell was one of my favorite UT pitchers because he fired it up there like a machine gun. The catcher would barely get it out of his hand before it would be flying back at him.

As a batter, that sucks ass.  And as a pitcher, good for him, I guess, but you damn well know the massive mental component of the game.  The clock fucks with that and there's no reason for it.  Anyway, I'll stop derailing this thread.  

And get off my lawn.

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

megan the stallion had no clue where to throw the first pitch and was just standing on the mound facing center field for what faker like an eternity before she finally said, "who k throw it to?". lol

Hall of Fame ass 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

Yeah, per PA. 

Pickoffs are one version of a "disengagement," which consists of any time the pitcher makes a pickoff attempt, fakes a pickoff, or simply steps off the rubber for any reason, as well as when the defense requests time. Pitchers are allowed two disengagements per plate appearance without penalty. The disengagements rule resets if a runner or runners advance a base within the same plate appearance.

You actually get a third one, but only if you get the runner. May see that work a couple times when the runner relaxes after two. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

megan the stallion had no clue where to throw the first pitch and was just standing on the mound facing center field for what faker like an eternity before she finally said, "who k throw it to?". lol
Dude she was showing off the donk....i thought you of all people would get this

1 minute ago, Scraps said:
30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's exactly what i thought at first until she audibly said, "who i throw it to?" and had to be pointed towards home plate.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:
35 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

• Drool 1

49 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Same. And the only 2 pickoff attempts per at bat. Well 3 if you throw it over there and get him. Nothing worse than a pitcher tossing it over there 8x an at bat. Pace of play is great. Rangers finished a game in just about 3 hours that had a ton of runs and pitching changes. Increase in game time was not the commercials. It was all the little shit that added up, which is exactly what they fixed. They recognized you can't have a 162 game regular season with the pace of play they were having. Good for them to fix it. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

Didn't watch a single pitch of spring training ball, so tonight was my first exposure to the new rules. Fucking awesome that we no longer have to watch some of these guys step out of the batters box to adjust their batting gloves after every fucking pitch.

They did such a good job of mostly eliminating one of my biggest sports pet peeves, now I think we need a similar approach with basketball free throws. No fucking reason to slap hands with every teammate after every free throw, make or miss. Just shoot the damn ball and let's get on with it.

get-off-my-lawn-clint-eastwood.gif.b15836bfa11976f791359f4a8a7556ef.gif

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Didn't watch a single pitch of spring training ball, so tonight was my first exposure to the new rules. Fucking awesome that we no longer have to watch some of these guys step out of the batters box to adjust their batting gloves after every fucking pitch.

They did such a good job of mostly eliminating one of my biggest sports pet peeves, now I think we need a similar approach with basketball free throws. No fucking reason to slap hands with every teammate after every free throw, make or miss. Just shoot the damn ball and let's get on with it.

get-off-my-lawn-clint-eastwood.gif.b15836bfa11976f791359f4a8a7556ef.gif

giphy.gif

Yeah it’s a losing argument @Biff Tannen. There’s more actual baseball action now, in a shorter amount of time. Look at average game times back in the day, they weren’t anything like the slogfests they turned into in recent years. 

And for today… they truly are the Lastros again. Fucking awesome opening day for the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

The disengagement rule was one I wasn’t aware of.  After 2 pickoff attempts, you have to get him with the third or it’s a balk.  Interesting 

Interesting.  Horrifying.  Whatever it takes.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Yeah it’s a losing argument @Biff Tannen. There’s more actual baseball action now, in a shorter amount of time. Look at average game times back in the day, they weren’t anything like the slogfests they turned into in recent years. 

And for today… they truly are the Lastros again. Fucking awesome opening day for the game.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT HOW LONG THE GAMES ARE.  I JUST WANT BASEBALL TO BE BASEBALL AND YOU PEOPLE ARE DESTROYING WORLDS.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Interesting.  Horrifying.  Whatever it takes.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT HOW LONG THE GAMES ARE.  I JUST WANT BASEBALL TO BE BASEBALL AND YOU PEOPLE ARE DESTROYING WORLDS.

these new rules are making the game be more like the way it used to be, so i have no idea what you're upset about, other than just a straight up fear of change. i mean what are you even losing out on with these new rules? 

• Hook 'Em 1