2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

21 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Guess you missed the “minimum 3.1 plate appearances per game” qualifier. The total number of ABs is irrelevant.

So if a guy went 3-for-4 with 2 singles and a double on opening day, that should get him and his 1.750 OPS on the top of that chart?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Baseball, man. 

Incredibly, that was the third time a run had scored on a wild pitch in that game. And because the score was 2-1, that means every run in this game was scored on a wild pitch. Per Elias Sports Bureau via Beck, it's the first game in MLB history to see three run-scoring wild pitches and no runs scored anywhere else. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

So if a guy went 3-for-4 with 2 singles and a double on opening day, that should get him and his 1.750 OPS on the top of that chart?

Ok I didn’t think it all the way through

Well it’s still an impressive stat for judge. Dude can clearly mash anywhere.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

while everyone is shitting all over alek manoah, why is michael harris getting a free pass? he might be the worst hitter in baseball. just an unspeakably bad season for the "rookie of the year". #stillnotoverit

Michael Harris hitting like Gary Pettis still means you have a guy who plays D like Gary Pettis in CF, which makes him not a terribly un-useful player (his WAR is barely negative).  With Manoah, there's nothing else to fall back on; he's just 100% dogshit.  I traded Manoah for Dustin May in my fantasy league earlier this week, and I think I made a pretty good deal.  You can't even look at xFIP and say "Oh, he has been unlucky" and his BABIP isn't even sky-high.  He's just dogshit.

image.png.a4be3a667a0c2fcdd42c20d84d2421d8.png

34 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Look, Jose Abreu is the worst player in MLB and it isn’t close. A -3 WAR season is almost impossible to pull off, but if anyone can do it, it’s Abreu.

Harris, Manoah, and everyone else is just vying for second place here. 

image.png.bba1ad9dea30ad0b87f785cf37f0a797.png

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Michael Harris hitting like Gary Pettis still means you have a guy who plays D like Gary Pettis in CF, which makes him not a terribly un-useful player (his WAR is barely negative).  With Manoah, there's nothing else to fall back on; he's just 100% dogshit.  I traded Manoah for Dustin May in my fantasy league earlier this week, and I think I made a pretty good deal.  You can't even look at xFIP and say "Oh, he has been unlucky" and his BABIP isn't even sky-high.  He's just dogshit.

image.png.a4be3a667a0c2fcdd42c20d84d2421d8.png

He might be walking everyone and striking out nobody, but at least people are hitting the ball hard off him. 

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

while everyone is shitting all over alek manoah, why is michael harris getting a free pass? he might be the worst hitter in baseball. just an unspeakably bad season for the "rookie of the year". #stillnotoverit

jose Abreu says ‘hi’ 

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't expect it to happen, but it's honestly time for MLB to do a forced sale of the A's like they did with the Expos.  

MLB can operate it out of Oakland through 2024, and let things simmer down and then try again.  

Yep, Fisher is terrible and he's going to fleece the shit out of Vegas while the A's continue to suck.

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

only 7 teams from 1900 and only 2 teams post WW2 have 1,000 runs in a season (1950 Boston , 1999 Cleveland) and the Rangers are on pace for it.   Put some money on them 16-1 to win it all. 

Lulz.

TASTTR.  Remember that.

They Are Still The Texas Rangers.   

12 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

only 7 teams from 1900 and only 2 teams post WW2 have 1,000 runs in a season (1950 Boston , 1999 Cleveland) and the Rangers are on pace for it.   Put some money on them 16-1 to win it all. 

Did 1950 Boston & 1999 Cleveland win the World Series? Wanna take a guess at who won both those years?