2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

He gone. 

Oakland Athletics broadcaster Glen Kuiper was fired by NBC Sports California after using a racial slur during a telecast while describing a trip to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.

Kuiper was suspended by the network earlier this month after his slur that aired during a pregame segment of an A's game against the Kansas City Royals on May 5. Kuiper talked about a trip to the museum with colleague Dallas Braden but seemingly mispronounced the word "Negro," making it sound instead like a slur.

"Following an internal review, the decision has been made for NBC Sports California to end its relationship with Glen Kuiper, effective immediately," the network said in a statement Monday. "We thank Glen for his dedication to Bay Area baseball over the years."

A person familiar with the investigation said "the decision was based on a variety of factors, including information uncovered in the internal review." The person spoke on condition of anonymity and didn't divulge specific details because the network had not publicly disclosed the results of the investigation.

Kuiper apologized on the air later in that game without getting into specifics, saying he said something that "didn't come out quite the way I wanted it to." He later issued a statement through the network when he was suspended, saying: "I could not be more sorry and horrified by what I said. I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies." 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Welcome to 2023.

I’d still rather that than pay ~$70 for a cable/satellite package that include ls 5 channels I really care about.

MLB not offering some sort of super package that allows you to get these one off “exclusively on” games is going to be a problem though.

• Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

He gone. 

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's dumb. it was clearly an accident, and the entire world had already moved on and forgotten about it.

It was going to be tough to move on. It wasn't a close thing. 

Spoiler

Edited by Bozo_Casanova