2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

JC, I just figured out that this Bally Sports+ streaming service not only doesn't include Rangers' games in San Marvelous, it doesn't even offer them if you live in DFW.  So they're expecting people to continue paying $20/month after the NHL regular season is over...why?

image.png.ee9c8cfdd981f0b3bf51c22c32a19f24.pngimage.png.5809eebae275b3265399d3d2039390dd.png

I really wonder how Bally's parent company has managed to go bankrupt?  It's a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal mystery...

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

JC, I just figured out that this Bally Sports+ streaming service not only doesn't include Rangers' games in San Marvelous, it doesn't even offer them if you live in DFW.  So they're expecting people to continue paying $20/month after the NHL regular season is over...why?

image.png.ee9c8cfdd981f0b3bf51c22c32a19f24.pngimage.png.5809eebae275b3265399d3d2039390dd.png

I really wonder how Bally's parent company has managed to go bankrupt?  It's a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal mystery...

mlb blackout rules are whack  

Tom Tango:

Watch it with me, and fact-check me...

Play 1: It's not clear how the pinch hitter works here, the machinations required to make it official, and when Gibson has 30 seconds to get in the box. At the 0:55 second mark, you see the umpire still walking. At the 1:17 mark, the umpire points to Eck, meaning the ball is now live. Don't forget, there's a runner on base, so, the ball is live only when the umpire says so.

Play 2: It's at the 1:20 mark, so clear compliance. It's a foul ball, so the batter will get some leeway here. Runner has to get back to the base at a quicker-than-Panda pace.

Play 3: At the 1:41 mark, the umpire again signals a live ball. But even if the ball was live back at the 1:30 mark, Gibson is alert by 1:42. Pickoff attempt at 1:45. We're in compliance.

Note: Eck will have ALOT of pickoffs. So, eventually he will be out of compliance here. But since Davis will end up stealing anyway, then stolen base or forced balk, you get the same result!

Play 4: At the 1:49 mark, we'll presume Eck gets the ball back. Gibson has stepped out and will step out after EVERY play, whether a foul ball or pickoff or stolen base. Every time. Every single time. Gibson is alert at 2:03. That's 14 seconds, rather than 12. Given a non-existent timer, I think we can probably say Gibson would have been in compliance had he known that 35 years later, the internet would exist and be doing this. Eck delivers in compliance, and we get a foul ball at 2:07.

Play 5: Eck gets the ball at 2:13, but we need the runner to get back to retouch the bag. Let's say that's at 2:20. Gibson is alert at 2:28. Eck another pickoff at 2:33.

Play 6: Eck gets the ball at 2:37. Like I said, Gibson is always stepping out. There will be no exception. So just remember that. He's alert at 2:50. That's 13 seconds, but let's assume that's compliance again. Another pickoff at 2:55.

Play 7: Eck gets the ball at 3:00. Gibson alert at 3:09. Just rewatch that. He had stepped out. He slowly comes in. He digs his foot in, because he is injured and he needs to set himself perfectly. He does all that in 9 seconds. Eck delivers in time. This is the little foul ball down the line that Gibson had to start running.

Play 8: The umpire gets a new set of balls at the 3:42 mark, so obviously, play is not live yet. No timer is running. Gibson is alert and in the box before the umpire puts on his mask. A catcher pickoff now happens.

Play 9: Eck gets the ball at 4:02. It's at 4:19 now when we come back from a replay and Gibson is already alert in the box. Unclear when he become alert. Let's say he was at, or close to, compliance. Eck in compliance, DAvis tries to steal, and we have a foul ball. We need time for Davis to get back to first.

Play 10: Davis is back at 4:41. Gibson is alert at 4:46. Eck in compliance.

Play 11: Eck gets the ball at 4:55. Gibson is alert at around 5:08. Hard to tell. But close enough to compliance. Eck another pickoff.

Play 12: Eck gets the ball at 5:16. Gibson alert at 5:29. Again, 13 seconds, close enough for what we're doing here. Gibson I should note not only walked out of the box, but also tapped his shoes with his bat to get rid of dirt. Gibson does a heckavu in the 12 or so seconds he didn't know we are alloting him 35 years later. Eck in compliance, Davis steals. Finally, all those Eck pickoffs come to an end.

Play 13: Eck gets the ball at 5:39. Runner has dirt on his pants, not sure how much time he gets to clean himself up. Doesn't matter because Hassey calls for a timeout for a mound visit. At 6:14 umpire puts his mask back on. Gibson is alert at 6:19. Doesn't matter, because now it's Gibson's turn to call for time. Batters can call one timeout in 2023, and this is it. Even though it's 1988. Gibson is ahead of his time.

Play 14: At 6:37, the umpire signals for the pitch, making the ball now live. Everyone in compliance. Spoiler alert.... spoiler alert.... Home run.

And for 7 glorious minutes, we have what is for many people the greatest baseball event ever. And those 14 plays in 7 minutes was in full compliance of the non-existent pitch timer.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 3:39 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

Kulpa on the ejection so it could be bitchassedness from either party.

Maybe don't call the ump a fucking douche 

Maybe don't touch him either.

Maybe get in the box and swing the bat.

I LOVE the clock. No more fucking around trying to slow down the game. The Human Game Delay as a strategy needs to die.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Tom Tango:

Mookie Wilson's at-bat against Bob Stanley on the infamous Bill Buckner play is another good one.  Time between most pitches was about 9-11 seconds.  There were a shitload of foul balls and a wild pitch but once Stanley got the ball he was going to work and Mookie wasn't phased in the least.

15 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Maybe don't call the ump a fucking douche 

Maybe don't touch him either.

Maybe get in the box and swing the bat.

I LOVE the clock. No more fucking around trying to slow down the game. The Human Game Delay as a strategy needs to die.

Agreed. Games are so much fun to watch now. Absolutely nothing is being taken away from the game. They didn't decrease the innings played. They did away with the useless shit players did between every single pitch. And that in turn sped up the time it takes to complete a game. 

T-Mobile formally announced today that it re-upped its sponsorship deal with MLB for 5 years through 2028, and this detail in the press release stuck out: "MLB will test its automated ball-strike (ABS) system over a T-Mobile 5G Private Mobile Network at select MiLB games this season – ensuring ultra-reliable, low latency communications as players and officials review, challenge and analyze calls."