Dumb Ways to Die: Personal Edition

texasdago

Yeah, so i accidentally put coffee machine descaler solution in the rinse-aid dispenser of our dishwashing machine.  Kind of clueless what to do so I'm running a load right now with the dispenser open and I'm not going to dry the load.  Will probably run it again because I don't know what the F to.

"Real smooth, Cliff" - name the movie and I'll put you in my will.

Yeah, so, uh it was nice knowing y'all.  You were like a big dysfunctional family to me.  Just remember, it will always be spelled idoit.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, so i accidentally put coffee machine descaler solution in the rinse-aid dispenser of our dishwashing machine.  Kind of clueless what to do so I'm running a load right now with the dispenser open and I'm not going to dry the load.  Will probably run it again because I don't know what the F to.

"Real smooth, Cliff" - name the movie and I'll put you in my will.

Yeah, so, uh it was nice knowing y'all.  You were like a big dysfunctional family to me.  Just remember, it will always be spelled idoit.

Descaler may be vinegar. If the main ingredient is acetic acid, you will be fine. Remember a coffee machine is used to make coffee so a descaler for a coffee machine will use safe materials in case residue remains. And a weak acid such as vinegar works well as a descaler.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

We ran out of dishwasher soap once in college.  Decided to use laundry soap instead.  Five inches of foam in the kitchen.

I did this with concentrated dish soap once. Took like 2 hours to get the foam down. 

32 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

I don’t see a problem. So your dishwasher is getting descaled and may work better? Unless you meant you poured descaler down your wife’s throat. Then this is a totally different situation.

This. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We ran out of dishwasher soap once in college.  Decided to use laundry soap instead.  Five inches of foam in the kitchen.

Several years ago in Germany, we were attempting to wash clothes at our VRBO flat and under the sink were two bags of pods…one for the washer and one for the dishwasher. Both were in German and there was no graphic to hint at what each was. Decided to guess and guessed wrong. I don’t know what’s so different about dishwasher detergent but it caused all the colors to bleed and the entire load of clothes was ruined.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Several years ago in Germany, we were attempting to wash clothes at our VRBO flat and under the sink were two bags of pods…one for the washer and one for the dishwasher. Both were in German and there was no graphic to hint at what each was. Decided to guess and guessed wrong. I don’t know what’s so different about dishwasher detergent but it caused all the colors to bleed and the entire load of clothes was ruined.

I had to use a laundrymat in Italy.  The detergent came in sheets, similar to the softener sheets that we put in the dryer.

Looks like maybe this...

image.thumb.png.f3e90448bfc5e6b4db206a708f5bbdd8.png

Of course, comes with a million warnings...

• Warnings

Hazard Statements
    Warning
    May be corrosive to metals.
    Causes serious eye irritation.
    Causes skin irritation.
    Precautionary statements
    General
    Read label before use. Keep out of reach of children. If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand.
    Prevention
    Wear protective gloves. Wear eye or face protection. Keep only in original container. Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
    Response
    Absorb spillage to prevent material damage.
    IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water. Take off contaminated clothing. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. If skin irritation occurs: Get medical attention.
    IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. If eye irritation persists: Get medical attention.
    Storage
    Store in corrosive resistant container with a resistant inner liner. 
    Disposal
    Not applicable.

•  

Y’all are some domesticated mini van driving cargo shorts wearing bed bath and beyond weekend going madmax thunderdome hosses I tell ya. Living dangerously and on the edge with your cavalier approach to laundry and dishwashing pods. 

• Haha 5

Some of you guys really slept through chemistry in high school, huh?  Descaler, as previously pointed out, is an acidic solution designed to remove deposits left behind by your water, which for you guys living in the Edwards Aquifer means a metric fuck ton of calcium carbonate (I.e. limestone) 

Coffee descaler is vinegar based.  Dishwasher cleaner is citric acid based. Both are acids designed to desolve and wash away gunk in the tubes of your respective appliances. The poor man’s version of dishwasher cleaner is an upright cup of vinegar run on the sani-cycle.

Tl:Dr- it’s fine. 

As to the type of dish soap: it’s all about the sudsing effect, which is added to Dawn so people feel like their hand washing is getting shit clean.  Shit gets bubbly when over aerated in a dishwasher splashing around. You can get rid of the suds by dumping a 1/4 cup of neutral cooking oil in the dishwasher to reduce the soapiness and then run the dishwasher empty.

For all the chest thumping about Cockrell, I’m a humanities major from Bates fucking College. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Some of you guys really slept through chemistry in high school, huh?  Descaler, as previously pointed out, is an acidic solution designed to remove deposits left behind by your water, which for you guys living in the Edwards Aquifer means a metric fuck ton of calcium carbonate (I.e. limestone) 

Coffee descaler is vinegar based.  Dishwasher cleaner is citric acid based. Both are acids designed to desolve and wash away gunk in the tubes of your respective appliances. The poor man’s version of dishwasher cleaner is an upright cup of vinegar run on the sani-cycle.

As to the type of dish soap: it’s all about the sudsing effect, which is added to Dawn so people feel like their hand washing is getting shit clean.  Shit gets bubbly when over aerated in a dishwasher splashing around. You can get rid of the suds by dumping a 1/4 cup of neutral cooking oil in the dishwasher to reduce the soapiness and then run the dishwasher empty.

For all the chest thumping about Cockrell, I’m a humanities major from Bates fucking College. 

Bates fucking College sounds fun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Not exactly a surprise that a humanities major provides an excellent foundation in the dishwashing arts. Now get off the internet and get back to work, the lunch rush will be hitting soon. 

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Not exactly a surprise that a humanities major provides an excellent foundation in the dishwashing arts. Now get off the internet and get back to work, the lunch rush will be hitting soon. 

It's true, your mom does appreciate some afternoon delight. 

Well, it was Lime-Away brand so I was thinking, "oh man, all my plates and silverware are covered with CLR"... except it wasn't CLR, it was Lime Away so we're all good and I'm still alive, allegedly.  As for the will, I'll be sure to put your names in.  My family has good genetics and routinely lives into their 90s so maybe you hit payday, maybe you don't.  

Christian Bale Idk GIF

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

explain why adding baking soda works when I definitely not me but instead my wife is trying to get stubborn burnt on shit off of baking sheets, pans, etc.

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

*dissolve

I would think both a humanities major from Bates College as well as a high school chemistry student would know that.

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

Looks like maybe this...

image.thumb.png.f3e90448bfc5e6b4db206a708f5bbdd8.png

Of course, comes with a million warnings...

• Warnings

Hazard Statements
    Warning
    May be corrosive to metals.
    Causes serious eye irritation.
    Causes skin irritation.
    Precautionary statements
    General
    Read label before use. Keep out of reach of children. If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand.
    Prevention
    Wear protective gloves. Wear eye or face protection. Keep only in original container. Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
    Response
    Absorb spillage to prevent material damage.
    IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water. Take off contaminated clothing. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. If skin irritation occurs: Get medical attention.
    IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. If eye irritation persists: Get medical attention.
    Storage
    Store in corrosive resistant container with a resistant inner liner. 
    Disposal
    Not applicable.

•  

Sulfamic acid is relatively low toxicity and is a precursor to lots of drugs. Vinegar and citric acid is pretty good in fruits and on salads. The other ingredient is a low toxicity colorant. All are water soluble. You should be safe.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Sulfamic acid is relatively low toxicity and is a precursor to lots of drugs. Vinegar and citric acid is pretty good in fruits and on salads. The other ingredient is a low toxicity colorant. All are water soluble. You should be safe.

I guess I could have goggled sulfamic acid

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

explain why adding baking soda works when I definitely not me but instead my wife is trying to get stubborn burnt on shit off of baking sheets, pans, etc.

Baking soda is basic (alkaline). It’s why any cleaning idea that  involves combining it with vinegar (unless you want the foaming action of the reaction) is sorta dumb. 

But I’d recommend Oxyclean Free.  Leave it to soak overnight.  Works like a charm. 

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Baking soda is basic (alkaline). It’s why any cleaning idea that  involves combining it with vinegar (unless you want the foaming action of the reaction) is sorta dumb. 

But I’d recommend Oxyclean Free.  Leave it to soak overnight.  Works like a charm. 

calling-all.gif

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve had 2 cups of coffee in my life (not Mormon- tastes gross) so I’m not exactly an expert, but what the fuck is a descaler?  My parents and wife both drink plenty of coffee and I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard that word before. 

Any machine that uses tap water develops scale - The harder the water, the more calcium carbonate, the more white deposit called scale or limescale is deposited on surfaces. The tubes and such on a coffee machine build-up this scale and the machine starts to work improperly. A safe acid is used to dissolve the calcium carbonate deposit which increases the life of the coffee machine.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve had 2 cups of coffee in my life (not Mormon- tastes gross)

So you spit out your first sip of beer and that was that? Nice humble brag. I dipped Copenhagen for 20 years and I'm pretty sure all 7,300 cans tasted pretty nasty.

Needless to say I drink a fuckton of coffee. And tequila.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve had 2 cups of coffee in my life (not Mormon- tastes gross) so I’m not exactly an expert, but what the fuck is a descaler?  My parents and wife both drink plenty of coffee and I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard that word before. 

Yeah, I'm not a coffee expert by any stretch---make it cheap and black, like my men. /airplane

But I've never heard that word nor knew about that process.  my SiL is here right now visiting and brought her espresso machine with her and said something about this process to clean it.  I guess my shitty, regular coffee machine has not met a descaler yet.  I dunno, I've been smoking quaaludes since 12 hours ago.  

Fun fact, speaking of "not Mormon", I had a standing quarterly meetup with a Mormon here in Austin for a few years.  But he suggested Starbucks initially and I was terribly confused why he'd pick that.  But he'd order hot cocoa and we kept that up for years.  And his name?  You guessed it.  Donny Osmond, Jr. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

So you spit out your first sip of beer and that was that? Nice humble brag. I dipped Copenhagen for 20 years and I'm pretty sure all 7,300 cans tasted pretty nasty.

Needless to say I drink a fuckton of coffee. And tequila.

Skoal brother. And I loved every damn can of it from the first one. 
I’ve always liked the taste of beer. The beer I like anyway. I wouldn’t drink Stella or something like that if you paid me. Nor any kind of pale ale. But the first time I had a Miller lite or a Coors light when I was a kid (first beers) I thought it tasted just fine.