Need Help

UT_OB1

be aware that if the person needing help indicates they may harm themselves they can be held involuntarily for 48 hours. or maybe 72? can't remember exactly... but we went thru this exact thing with my niece a couple years ago when she was a college freshman, and it was more traumatic than the original issue.

luckily the doctor at the hospital they took her to first (for a physical exam prior to admittance) figured out that if she was that hysterical (which she was, absolute panic) about missing class that afternoon and not being able to turn in some assignments, she wasn't actually going to off herself and he vacated the order.

hope whoever it is gets the appropriate help they need, good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

be aware that if the person needing help indicates they may harm themselves they can be held involuntarily for 48 hours. or maybe 72? can't remember exactly... but we went thru this exact thing with my niece a couple years ago when she was a college freshman, and it was more traumatic than the original issue.

luckily the doctor at the hospital they took her to first (for a physical exam prior to admittance) figured out that if she was that hysterical (which she was, absolute panic) about missing class that afternoon and not being able to turn in some assignments, she wasn't actually going to off herself and he vacated the order.

hope whoever it is gets the appropriate help they need, good luck. 

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. We vowed never to seek that kind of help again after they snagged our daughter for a week. They magically stopped fighting the release once insurance stopped paying. 

3 hours ago, George said:

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. We vowed never to seek that kind of help again after they snagged our daughter for a week. They magically stopped fighting the release once insurance stopped paying. 

This is the third episode. During the first, 15 years ago, I didn’t really know what was going on and the hospital convinced me to sign her up for 3 days. That was not a good experience.  About the only positive thing is that at least she started meds. Promised I wouldn’t do that again unless it was life/death 

Her 2nd one was 8 years ago. She got past it and went on some low dose baseline and has been good. Until tonight. Couldn’t find walk in psychiatric help that doesn’t involve them taking her and maybe letting her go after 3 days. Finally found an urgent care that a least agreed to prescribe lorazepam so she might get some sleep. Found an online doc that she can talk to tomorrow. Hopefully they can get her back on the antipsychotics that seemed to help last time, and then we can get on someone’s waiting list local. Still would take any recs if someone knows someone. 

eta - she finally just feel asleep. She’s otherwise been up around 60 hours. Thought I was going to need an elephant tranquilizer.  Kids are quite a bit older than last time, which is good and bad. They don’t even remember last time (good, was hoping they’d never see this), but it was hell taking care of her, a 3 year old, and a 6 month old. This time they can at least take care of themselves pretty well. 

• Like 7

Sorry to hear that you’re going through this. It’s a real bitch. Good luck to y’all. 

I should also clarify what I said above. If someone is dealing with life/death situation they shouldn’t avoid seeking help. I just know we were having a hell of a time with our kid and needed some help, but she was nowhere near harming herself and they used some reference she made to a long-past feeling. They made things worse by admitting her in and making it a bitch to get her out. 

5 hours ago, George said:

Sorry to hear that you’re going through this. It’s a real bitch. Good luck to y’all. 

I should also clarify what I said above. If someone is dealing with life/death situation they shouldn’t avoid seeking help. I just know we were having a hell of a time with our kid and needed some help, but she was nowhere near harming herself and they used some reference she made to a long-past feeling. They made things worse by admitting her in and making it a bitch to get her out. 

Understood what you meant and feel the same way. 

sleep only lasted until 145am. Been up since. She was nice crazy for the first couple hours. Now she’s just mean crazy. This is the worst part. 

Getting in quick vs getting involuntarily locked up is a fine line. Mention suicidal ideation, any local psychiatrist will find a spot on their calendar that day. Mention they tried to kill/harm themselves, they will refer you to the ER and from there it’s the guys in the white uniforms and a state hospital.
Good luck OP. This is probably a good place to start if you haven’t already connected with a psychiatrist .

https://doctorfinder.ama-assn.org/doctorfinder/disclaimer.do