45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Apparently what happened was this:

• Trump was "invited" by Bragg to testify to the grand jury
  • Trump was advised that this meant his indictment was imminent
  • Trump flooded the channel with bullshit
  • Although Trump did not testify, his attorneys apparently offered up Costello to talk shit on Cohen
  • Grand jury hears from Costello and adjourns
  • Trumpco thought he had avoided indictment
  • Bragg brings other witnesses to bolster/corroborate Cohen
  • Grand jury indicts

I think Trumpco legit thought they'd dodged the bullet.  Trump himself no doubt as a result of his bullshit campaign.

In my dotage, if I need a bedtime story, tell me this one over and over.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Thrawn said:

I'm up 6.5% YTD and down .4% the last 12 months. I blame Biden for the YTD numbers and Trump for the shitty numbers last year. Do I have any logical reason to do so? No. That is just how this works, right?

This is a very interesting topic.  Economic policy is such a lag indicator.  So many Presidents inherit the policies of the prior administration and are blamed for the consequences.  OL’ 45 shockingly benefited from, surprise, the policies of Hussein Obama.  He was a moderate dem who understood you don’t choke off the spigot of capitalism.  Moderates on both sides kept things moving forward.  Social media allowed everyone to retreat to their individual bunkers and look at anyone who differed with them as the enemy.  Spurred by a President who embraced divisiveness.  And I don’t know how we ever move back to center left or center right, which is where politics resided for decades.  In the words of @Brisketexan, we’re kinda fucked (although he would say the Union is doomed and Armageddon is here).

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We can all see what it is. Are you just now discovering this guy? He’s been around for years

Why the veiled insults What the Buck? I am glad you can see Trump for what he is, a blatant fascist and enabler of theocracy (among many other things). 

As for me, you don't know a damn thing. I have faced "witty" comments like yours for decades in cities/states where I lived. Same old story: I am alarmist, too paranoid, etc. I am new on this site, yet I have spoken/written/published (in print) on these topics at times over the past 3-4 decades. I post here while taking a break from other formal projects.... and for the peerless Surly humor!  And as a proud UT alum disgusted by Bush-Perry-Abbott-Trump-MAGA Texas.

Buck: I've been warning friends and others (liberals, libertarians, and conservatives I knew) about the threat of theocracy since Reagan/Religious Right in the 1980s, while I was at UT. Every freaking conservative/libertarian I knew at UT was in 100,000% denial. Every last one! "Free markets and religious freedom, that's America, dude!" That was the mantra. 

And I warned about the fascist tendencies of Perot (the proto-Trump) and his "United We Stand," then Bush 2 and "Tea Party" theocracy/fascism, and now Trump and MAGA. Always met with good ole American Exceptionalism and denialism about threat of religious rule and the ongoing intellectual collapse across a huge swath of America. No matter the facts or elegance of my assertion, it was too paranoid, too cynical, too anti-American, I was told.

And, yet here we are.... yes, the "Pod People" you mentioned are coming. Waving flags, bearing crosses, carrying AR-15s, driving SUVs or F-150s!

Adios, Buck. With all due respect, this will my last comment to you on this.

I no longer argue/debate/attempt to persuade anyone of anything—all pointless, as I have learned over the decades. I just put out ideas/concepts and let people do what they want with them. Surly seems like a good place for that!

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Why the veiled insults What the Buck? I am glad you can see Trump for what he is, a blatant fascist and enabler of theocracy (among many other things). 

As for me, you don't know a damn thing. I have faced "witty" comments like yours for decades in cities/states where I lived. Same old story: I am alarmist, too paranoid, etc. I am new on this site, yet I have spoken/written/published (in print) on these topics at times over the past 3-4 decades. I post here while taking a break from other formal projects.... and for the peerless Surly humor!  And as a proud UT alum disgusted by Bush-Perry-Abbott-Trump-MAGA Texas.

Buck: I've been warning friends and others (liberals, libertarians, and conservatives I knew) about the threat of theocracy since Reagan/Religious Right in the 1980s, while I was at UT. Every freaking conservative/libertarian I knew at UT was in 100,000% denial. Every last one! "Free markets and religious freedom, that's America, dude!" That was the mantra. 

And I warned about the fascist tendencies of Perot (the proto-Trump) and his "United We Stand," then Bush 2 and "Tea Party" theocracy/fascism, and now Trump and MAGA. Always met with good ole American Exceptionalism and denialism about threat of religious rule and the ongoing intellectual collapse across a huge swath of America. No matter the facts or elegance of my assertion, it was too paranoid, too cynical, too anti-American, I was told.

And, yet here we are.... yes, the "Pod People" you mentioned are coming. Waving flags, bearing crosses, carrying AR-15s, driving SUVs or F-150s!

Adios, Buck. With all due respect, this will my last comment to you on this.

I no longer argue/debate/attempt to persuade anyone of anything—all pointless, as I have learned over the decades. I just put out ideas/concepts and let people do what they want with them. Surly seems like a good place for that!

Man, I don't know what your preference is on the ledge, but feel free to indulge. WTB is on your side, not to speak for him. Maybe you made an implacable enemy!

Maybe tone it down a little. You don't have to crank it up to 11 on every note.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol wut?  Once again, the ability read and differentiate posters by different names jams up the brain trust.  Or, just out and out liars. Who could really know. All I know is there is never any receipts. Crazy, I know. 

Lol. Never any receipts? You were provided receipts in the Mass Shooter thread and then quietly disappeared into the night. Complete piece of canine excrement. 

8 minutes ago, royiv said:

Lol. Never any receipts? You were provided receipts in the Mass Shooter thread and then quietly disappeared into the night. Complete piece of canine excrement. 

Oh yeah?  Must have missed that.  Nice to be in your head in every thread.  It’s like I made a brand new bestie.  

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh yeah?  Must have missed that.  Nice to be in your head in every thread.  It’s like I made a brand new bestie.  

Cool, bud. Just go back and respond to when you were provided receipts. 

You don’t get to grift off of this! Only we get to grift off of this! 

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/31/trump-plans-to-turn-himself-in-00090037

In a sign of Trump’s successful appeals, his campaign announced on Friday that it raised $4 million in the first 24 hours following news of the indictment. A press release from the campaign noted that “25% of donations came from first-time donors” and the average contribution was only $34. 

The Trump campaign is also keeping tabs of others who are trying to financially benefit off of the indictment. Chris LaCivita, a senior Trump campaign adviser, has been calling candidates and campaigns raising money off the news and telling them to stop, according to a person familiar with campaign discussions.

• Haha 2

I stopped capitalizing trump's name months ago just as a small sign that I have had no respect for this SOB for at least forty years.  Then a few days ago some commentator turned me on to this, which I shall be using in the future at least until I am dead or he goes to prison.  "donald JAIL trump"     rot in Hell, you POS

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Next time steal the whole line.  :)

I only drink some of the milkshake.

Seriously tho, ever since I did a factory reset on my phone, auto-fill is nuts. My 6 month old phone is not doing what I want it to do in brand new ways. It's an innovator. I'm one-thumbing it thru a post and the phone is just furiously trying to guess what I wanna type like some coked-up contestant on Name That Tune ignoring the repeated buzzers while it fires off a torrent of song titles, half-titles, emojis, gifs... while my Unfrozen Caveman ass keeps plodding along with the keyboard freezing and auto-shifting.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think that McNaughton is just in on the grift and having a good time.  He can’t be real. 

image.thumb.jpeg.af7232b2477a8ff701317bde208efffc.jpeg

I think he’s a believer. He was doing this shit back during the Obama presidency. But I also think he’s in on the grift. Trump world definitely provides a better market for his, um, “talents.”

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

So he’d only be able to campaign and go to donor events in red states to avoid extradition? But not any red states with a Dem governor, like Kansas, Kentucky or Louisiana. So he couldn’t go raise money or campaign in swing states NC, Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania or the big money states of New York and California. 

Love this plan 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

55 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It's Palm Sunday tomorrow, Christ began his walk to his known death.  I am attending services with my family tomorrow and then volunteering at church afterwards.  

That this fucking guy ended up retiring to the state where his only viable opponent for the 2024 primary nomination happens to govern is absolutely proof we are living in a simulation.  The Showdown in Flowdown is on.  The War on the Shore.  This is gonna be absolutely fantastic.  

Don's getting extradited and Ronnie is gonna pull a Joliet Jake when  he's getting hauled off and DeSantis is like Oh Shit, I was gonna protect you but......

Honest, I ran outta gas, I had a flat tire, I didn't have enough money for cab fare, my tux didn't come back from the cleaners, an old friend came in from outta town, someone stole my car, there was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts, it wasn't my fault, I swear to GOD! 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I’m not a lawyer, but from some reading, it takes a unanimous jury to convict someone right? What is the likelihood that he gets convicted? 

A whole lot will depend on jury selection, as usual.

I think it's reasonable to expect a magat-free jury.  As I have said, I don't think they're capable of hiding their bias and a check of social media would probably reveal it in spades.

It's fairly common to get a highly biased juror and rehabilitate them by asking "Can you put aside your bias for this case and listen to the evidence and follow the jury instructions"?  A yes answer to that question will often get a bad juror on a jury.  A judge pretty much has to take the juror's word for that.

However, I think everyone knows that the nature of magats is such that any such statement would be blatantly false because their bias is so irrational.  That's less true of anti-Trumpers, whose statement to that effect can be taken more or less at face value.

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated