2023 Final Four general thread

shadow_operative

13 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Once the NCAA opened up entire stadiums to the FF quite a few years ago it became a beating to watch the game in person. It was bad enough when the stadiums were cut in half.  Entire stadium? That's a bad, very bad, in-person experience. NRG is no exception. There are 70,000 or so seats available for sale, 2,500 of which are okay seats and go to the schools, NABC and sponsors. The remainder of the seats are distant views, and worse. I made the mistake of going to the semis in NRG in 2016.  Never again, and we were "lower level".

These tickets in the 600s should be given away, all games or otherwise, regardless of the matchups. Buy them and you may as well be watching the game from a neighboring highway. 

Seeing some between $50-$60. Going to wait a couple more hours and see what else opens up. Going to take my son. I mean how often is he going to get a chance to attend a FF. And at 9 y/o he better not complain about the cheap seats.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Does college still do the 3pt and dunk contest stuff at the end of the year, where the men's and women's 3pt champs face off? Because Clark is going to roast the men.

Clark versus Antoine Davis would be SICK

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

One of the great NCAAT games... 

Yes, it was. That was a nasty, and really good, Georgetown team. Villanova had no fear after playing them close (twice) during the regular season.

Nova shot 78% for the game. From the floor. Shots taken were at a minimum. Every one mattered.  McClain (D) and Pinckney were big but Harold Jensen just as much if not more. Hit some clutch shots when they needed to be made. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Liar. I bet you have money on it. You degenerate 

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood, sir.  

25 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yes, it was. That was a nasty, and really good, Georgetown team. Villanova had no fear after playing them close (twice) during the regular season.

Nova shot 78% for the game. From the floor. Shots taken were at a minimum. Every one mattered.  McClain (D) and Pinckney were big but Harold Jensen just as much if not more. Hit some clutch shots when they needed to be made. 

Yeah.  It was going to take Nova to play a perfect game and they damn near did.  This game and an errant pass prevented JTII from having 3 titles, no idea what happened to them in '83. 

Pioneers!!!!!! 

Edited by Underdog
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Does college still do the 3pt and dunk contest stuff at the end of the year, where the men's and women's 3pt champs face off? Because Clark is going to roast the men.

they do, but it's during FF weekend, so nobody who's in the FF can compete. i caught the final two dunks of the first test last night, and they were as bad as anything you've seen from the nba contest in recent years. i couldn't believe it was the finals. the college dunk contest is usually great. 

fun story: i messages kerwin roach one year about participating in the dunk contest, assuming Texas was wasn't in the FF. he replied that he would definitely do it if we weren't in the FF. well, we weren't in the FF...because we were in the NIT. 😑

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Agree.  This is one of the few Championship games I remember where I was.  I believe 'nova shot better from the field than they did the free throw line.  I believe it was as close to a perfect game as possible.  And Georgetown did not have an off night, if I remember correctly.  

On 3/31/2023 at 1:44 AM, shadow_operative said:

Politely, those are dogshit seats. I might go to the national championship game just to say I went. 

I feel bad for the city. The way they waste money, they could have used every single penny the blue bloods would have brought to town. Pretty weird year where none of the college basketball blue bloods were in contention. 

Blah Rodeo and now this shitty Final Four. 2023 isn't going to be my year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Politely, those are dogshit seats. I might go to the national championship game just to say I went. 

You can probably move to better seats easily. I recall doing that at the Houston regional in 2010

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

I was a freshman at Pitt for that game. In our dorm, Tower B, there were TV lounges on every other floor. So we had about 80-100 people all watching on a 25-inch console TV. As a Big East school this was huge. The Final Four was huge.

Randy Dixon, an offensive guard from Florida who played eight or nine years for the Colts was a huge St. John's fan. He loved Chris Mullen. He called Mullen "the White Marvel". All Saturday leading up to the Final Four game he just kept saying, White Marvel is gonna get 'em. Well, as we all know, St. John's did not make the championship game.

The lounge was absolutely packed for the championship game and Randy was rooting for Villanova. We had a lot of kids from the east coast and it seemed at that time pretty much every black guy was a Georgetown fan, except for Randy. Before the game Randy started again saying, White Marvel is gonna get 'em. This time though he was talking about Harold Jenson. In the final game of the regular season we destroyed Villanova, 82-65. It was a CBS Sports game. It was big and that dropped Villanova to 18-9 overall, 9-7 in Big East play as they stumbled down the stretch.

They were not a lock for the NCAA. In the first round of the Big East Tournament Villanova beat us, 61-69. I think that win got them into the NCAA, even though they lost to #1 seed St. John's the next day. And then they entered as a #8 or #9 seed. They ripped through Dayton, Michigan, Maryland, UNC, and Memphis. I used ripped jokingly because they didn't even score 60 points in the NCAA until the Georgetown game. 

That night the TV lounge was just nuts. There were so many guys who felt there was no way in hell the Hoyas could lose to Villanova. Georgetown beat Villanova twice during the season, though the games were very competitive.

At the end of the game Randy stood up and turned to the crowd and said, White Marvel got 'em.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I was a freshman at Pitt for that game. In our dorm, Tower B, there were TV lounges on every other floor. So we had about 80-100 people all watching on a 25-inch console TV. As a Big East school this was huge. The Final Four was huge.

Randy Dixon, an offensive guard from Florida who played eight or nine years for the Colts was a huge St. John's fan. He loved Chris Mullen. He called Mullen "the White Marvel". All Saturday leading up to the Final Four game he just kept saying, White Marvel is gonna get 'em. Well, as we all know, St. John's did not make the championship game.

The lounge was absolutely packed for the championship game and Randy was rooting for Villanova. We had a lot of kids from the east coast and it seemed at that time pretty much every black guy was a Georgetown fan, except for Randy. Before the game Randy started again saying, White Marvel is gonna get 'em. This time though he was talking about Harold Jenson. In the final game of the regular season we destroyed Villanova, 82-65. It was a CBS Sports game. It was big and that dropped Villanova to 18-9 overall, 9-7 in Big East play as they stumbled down the stretch.

They were not a lock for the NCAA. In the first round of the Big East Tournament Villanova beat us, 61-69. I think that win got them into the NCAA, even though they lost to #1 seed St. John's the next day. And then they entered as a #8 or #9 seed. They ripped through Dayton, Michigan, Maryland, UNC, and Memphis. I used ripped jokingly because they didn't even score 60 points in the NCAA until the Georgetown game. 

That night the TV lounge was just nuts. There were so many guys who felt there was no way in hell the Hoyas could lose to Villanova. Georgetown beat Villanova twice during the season, though the games were very competitive.

At the end of the game Randy stood up and turned to the crowd and said, White Marvel got 'em.

Did chatgpt write that? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, texastroubadour said:

Looks like pitiful attendance 

I was at the final four there in 2012 or whenever it was. Absolutely horrible venue to watch a basketball game. Outside of the first 10 rows on either sideline,  there is no point in even being there. 

2 minutes ago, pops said:

I was at the final four there in 2012 or whenever it was. Absolutely horrible venue to watch a basketball game. Outside of the first 10 rows on either sideline,  there is no point in even being there. 

It's not that NRG is a bad venue for a basketball game rather its's ALL of the football stadiums they convert to arenas are terrible. 

I went to Jerryworld when we played Nawf Carolina in 2009 and it was terribad.

15 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

that sounds like a magical evening

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

It's not that NRG is a bad venue for a basketball game rather its's ALL of the football stadiums they convert to arenas are terrible. 

Oh I agree. It's all of them and it's stupid. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

yup, i was there. pound for pound one of the most fun and exciting Texas games since the BMW years. we won the home something like 102-92, it was just a track meet (as per usual whenever we played against Roy), but if you weren't sitting right near the court you were probably breaking your neck to look up at the jumbotron the entire game. a basketball court is essentially 30 yards long. playing these games in giant football stadiums is terrible. 

• Like 1

Dusty May has done a hell of a job at FAU. I read the story about how he got hired (knew both the FAU AD and the FAU AD’s brother) and it was his first HC opportunity and he basically signed site unseen bc of his relationship with the AD. Then he toured the facilities (locker room, gym, arena—-all of which were in his words very bad/subpar) and immediately had buyer’s remorse. Went back to his hotel and basically was doubled over feeling awful—nearly cried—thinking he wasn’t good enough and that there was absolutely no way he’d turn the team around. No way he’d get them where they needed to be. And his wife gave him a pep talk and pumped him up and the rest is history. 

Great game so far. 

• Haha 1