2023 Final Four general thread

shadow_operative

44 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I think that today was the first time I've ever watched a women's game from tip to buzzer, so maybe this is a stupid question, but are there always so few commercials? I felt like whole quarters went by with no commercial break. I'm not complaining, but it just seemed odd. Like I was watching a soccer match or something. 

The only stoppage is between quarters and the under 5 TO each quarter. They definitely don’t have as many commercial breaks as 4 mandated commercial breaks per half 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

The only stoppage is between quarters and the under 5 TO each quarter. They definitely don’t have as many commercial breaks as 4 mandated commercial breaks per half 

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I think that today was the first time I've ever watched a women's game from tip to buzzer, so maybe this is a stupid question, but are there always so few commercials? I felt like whole quarters went by with no commercial break. I'm not complaining, but it just seemed odd. Like I was watching a soccer match or something. 

Unless a team calls a timeout before you get to the under 5. If they do, that’s your tv timeout for the quarter. Women’s game is faster because of this rule and the quartets, albeit not by that much. It’s perceptively faster. 

Men’s college is still the last level to not switch to quarters

• Hook 'Em 1

Nantz's last college basketball call tonight. He's done the last 32 FF / championships and has very good at it.  Lots of color guys (Packer, Kerr, Kellogg, Raftery, others) have worked with him over the years but Nantz has been the constant.

He'll continue to do the NFL and the Masters, the latter until he’s on his death bed probably. But tonight will be the last CBB game. Ian Eagle gets Nantz's chair next year in Phoenix. Solid pxp guy and CBS is in good hands with him.

CBS tribute to Nantz from Saturday:

image.thumb.png.d24f4102b50934cda7658900a530e71e.png
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Underdog said:

Twitterverse has lost its ever loving mind over this Reese/Clark you can't see me bit. 

If you go into the comments, it's pretty hilarious. White people enraged the big bad black woman showed her up with exactly what she did against South Carolina the other night. It was all fun and games then and it was just Clark being intense. But when it's done to her, now she's a classless thug. Saw an exact comment like that made on this page about this incident. Some people are too uptight about taunting and celebrating in sports. It's a fucking game and emotions run high. Go preach sportsmanship in pee wee sports. Once you are in college, all bets are off. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Clark did it toward her own bench, not in an opponent’s face. 

Reese could have done it to her own bench, someone in the crowd, or the nacho lady and you and others still would have found a way to call her classless. 

• Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If you go into the comments, it's pretty hilarious. White people enraged the big bad black woman showed her up with exactly what she did against South Carolina the other night. It was all fun and games then and it was just Clark being intense. But when it's done to her, now she's a classless thug. Saw an exact comment like that made on this page about this incident. Some people are too uptight about taunting and celebrating in sports. It's a fucking game and emotions run high. Go preach sportsmanship in pee wee sports. Once you are in college, all bets are off. 

Some here may want to disregard what you are saying with a gesture.

It is not as flagrant but it is enough for somebody to be watching and getting upset that she is being praised for the taunting knowing full well they would not be given the same praise for the same actions. So they saw their opening and they took it.

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No one had an issue when Clark told the Louisville player “You’re down 15 points, shut up” now did they?

This Is Weird GIF by Catfish MTV

Did not watch but after reading the last few posts it looks like she had it coming. Also, Jordan did it, Bird did it and Magic did it. Magic and Bird did it to each other big time but they did not cry about it when it was not going their way. I have no problem with either side having done what they did when the emotions are hot.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

it's beyond stupid that men's cbb remains the last level of basketball that doesn't play four quarters. 

I’m honestly surprised men haven’t adopted advancing the ball yet. I thought they quarters thing was going to pass the rules committee several years ago and it didn’t. 

As I’ve mentioned before, men’s college basketball folks are purists. They really hate change. 

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’m honestly surprised men haven’t adopted advancing the ball yet. I thought they quarters thing was going to pass the rules committee several years ago and it didn’t. 

As I’ve mentioned before, men’s college basketball folks are purists. They really hate change. 

It's getting irritating that they won't adopt either rule. 

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Reese could have done it to her own bench, someone in the crowd, or the nacho lady and you and others still would have found a way to call her classless. 

Reese basically followed Clark down the court to taunt her.  Also I don't understand how Clark sagging that far off the SC player is "disrespectful."  Maybe SC should hit those wide open shots if that's what Iowa is giving them. That is gamesmanship, not taunting. 

Sorry, that's a classic Mulkey team that won yesterday.  Never forget when she grabbed one of our players in the post-game handshake to get in her face about something.  

HVL is one of, if not THE, biggest shit talkers in WCBB.   Mulkey wins, but her teams adopt her trash persona. 

• Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mulkey wins, but her teams adopt her trash persona.

This. She got run off from Baylor bc Drew was finally winning and Baylor got tired of her schtick. How bad did have to be that they tolerated Briles but kicked Mulkey to the curb as soon as they could? Well that and the money pit that women’s bball is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This. She got run off from Baylor bc Drew was finally winning and Baylor got tired of her schtick. How bad did have to be that they tolerated Briles but kicked Mulkey to the curb as soon as they could? Well that and the money pit that women’s bball is.

By all accounts, she could not STAND being second fiddle to Drew.  Once Drew won that title, she wasn't the main show in Waco anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2023 at 9:15 PM, Gil Bang said:

Pinata has Don's mom's hairstyle.

trump-mom-hair.jpg

This. This shit, just the hair alone, should disqualify anyone with this DNA from eligibility for public office. 

This fucking timeline, man. 

I'm not addressing what one person did or didn't do but general thoughts on trash talking:

Not guarding someone is a sign of disrespect in terms that no one respects your ability to shoot or drive to the basket. I can't imagine why a college basketball player is on the court if they can neither handle nor shoot the ball. I suppose you could be a defensive star but then you shouldn't have the ball in your hands on offense.

As for general disrespect, trash talking or taunting, waiting to do that when the game is over (by the clock or the score) is weak. If you are going to talk trash, it should be starting with tip off. Don't wait until it's over.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Let 'em talk shit to each other who cares

The "funny" thing is I'm sure Clark, while pissed at the time because she was about to lose, doesn't care at all and thinks it's part of the game.

Watching grown adults get upset on behalf of someone who was in the middle of the action and doesn't care is wild.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Women’s Bball is horrible. Lulz at the smack talk/gestures, gesticulation and the angst it causes on here.

This is my take. Couldn’t care less about trash talk or trash basketball. Women’s hoops is unwatchable. Middle school boys games are better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

I don’t give a shit and most probably don’t outside some boomer types.  Fuck those people anyway.  The real issue is that cunt Mulkey bumping officials and still not getting a T.  

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

No one on the planet seems to think SD State can win.

That’s what scares me.  Laying off.  Have a UConn future and that’s good enough.  No need to get greedy and lay more.  Still think they roll.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Aztecs stand a chance tonight or do Helo's Heroes finish the job?  

I would never count SDSU out. Veteran, resilient, tough as nails. But UConn has been equally good defensively, at least of late. And it's better on the other end than SDSU, quite a bit. I'm not sure SDSU will be able to contain Sanogo.

8 times out of 10, UConn wins. But the beauty of the tournament is that every game is a game 7. And maybe tonight is SDSU's night. Wouldn't be the first time.

We'll see.  

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Aztecs stand a chance tonight or do Helo's Heroes finish the job?  

I'm an old and remember watching the 1985 Men's Basketball Championship Game between Georgetown and Villanova.  The Hoyas were a 9.5 pt. favorite (UConn is a 7.5 pt. favorite vs SDSU) and no one gave 'Nova a chance. No.  One.  Soooo, the Wildcats shoot 78% from the field and win 66-64. And, hopefully, tonight's final is better officiated than the women's final.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As for general disrespect, trash talking or taunting, waiting to do that when the game is over (by the clock or the score) is weak. If you are going to talk trash, it should be starting with tip off. Don't wait until it's over.