2023 Final Four general thread

shadow_operative

I know it’s been discussed before but, I think a win tonight solidly puts UConn into Blue Blood status. That would be five titles in less than 25 years, would tie them with Duke and Indiana, put them one in front of Kansas and one behind UNC. UCLA has won one title since 1975’s title. Indiana hasn’t won since 1987. And Kentucky has won one since it’s title in 1998. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I know it’s been discussed before but, I think a win tonight solidly puts UConn into Blue Blood status. That would be five titles in less than 25 years, would tie them with Duke and Indiana, put them one in front of Kansas and one behind UNC. UCLA has won one title since 1975’s title. Indiana hasn’t won since 1987. And Kentucky has won one since it’s title in 1998. 

Absolutely would be a blue blood. They have been a really good program since I was in middle school in 1998/99 when they beat Duke. They average one title every 5 years. Damn good.

And about this game, this seems it is going to get away from San Diego St really fast.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

If they finish this off they'll have won every time they appeared in the title game. 

Wow.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

IIRC, Wooden never lost a Finals game also... 10-0, can only recall the double OT loss to NCSU in the semis the season before his last. 

Yeah, that was that Boston Celtics, New York Yankees and Montreal Canadiens level of domination. We’ll never see that again in North American professional & major collegiate sports.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think Hurley can be a bit of a bore but, I also think he is in the perfect situation for his mentality and temperament. The Big East is a perfect spot for him.

There's 350 D-1 teams and multiple pro teams that would love a bore like him. Multiple pro teams. He'll be there in 2 or 3 years.

26 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I already have them as a blue blood for all the reasons you listed to the younger crowd they definitely are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

suffocating defense and maybe just 1 NBA talent, superbly coached, they'll be a force for years. 

On another question -- where are the freak 6'10+ college players? I'm talking about dominant inside players which dominated college ball for decades, they've gone extinct. 

It is a lot cooler to be skinny and shoot 3s now. Everyone wants to be like Kevin Durant or Steph Curry.

9 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

suffocating defense and maybe just 1 NBA talent, superbly coached, they'll be a force for years. 

On another question -- where are the freak 6'10+ college players? I'm talking about dominant inside players which dominated college ball for decades, they've gone extinct. 

The 6’6” to 6’8” power forwards are now, and have been for 25 years, playing offensive tackle.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wright is just doing this desk thing for another year or so. Still young, looks invigorated and so damn insightful. Like Klatt, I look for guys in this type position to educate on another level about the game. Wright doesn't disappoint.

He's going to do more good things as a coach.

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Wright is just doing this desk thing for another year or so. Still young, looks invigorated and so damn insightful. Like Klatt, I look for guys in this type position to educate on another level about the game. Wright doesn't disappoint.

He's going to do more good things as a coach.

You may be right, but I suspect he's waiting on an NBA gig.  Not much for him to prove in the college game, and I'm not sure what college gig would be better for him than what he left behind.  Maybe an SEC or B1G school offers him a boatload.

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You may be right, but I suspect he's waiting on an NBA gig.  Not much for him to prove in the college game, and I'm not sure what college gig would be better for him than what he left behind.  Maybe an SEC or B1G school offers him a boatload.

Yep, would make sense on the NBA front. Nothing wrong with some R&R doing the TV thing waiting on a plush job.

Again, he's still so young relatively speaking.