Texas @ Oklahoma State Series Thread

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

It's not that deep. Pierce is always playing for May and June. He always has. And it always costs us games during the regular season.  

Today it likely didn't affect the outcome at all. So why not let Zane build some character? Whether he closes or not there will be more situations down the road like that where we need him. 

You play to win the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

Good series guys....oSu and UT should be the two teams at the top of the league at the end of the season.

Not sure why Pierce didn't walk Shubart to load the bases at the end, but I'm glad he didn't.

Yeah. Great atmosphere and great pitching by both teams.

Too soon to talk about that ninth inning though. Still on suicide watch and shit.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:09 PM, Go Pokes said:

Wait. We’re shitting the bed against a quality opponent? No way! Typical OSU baseball team. Fatten up on the scrubs, get highly ranked, then show your true mettle when the spotlight is on. KU in 3 weeks! Can’t wait!

I see what you did there with your reverse jinx by the way.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean - y'all realize Zane struggled to start the 8th inning against atm, most of you wanted Pierce to pull him - but he left him in and Zane closed it.

Zane also had issues on Friday and closed it out. I just expect it to be stressful and you know fair enough if it works. Didn't today though.

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's easy to sit here and say "we don't need the starting SS" in the bottom of the 9th of a close game until a groundball is hit to his replacement.=

In retrospect, we needed his replacement backing up the catcher. 

This loss was more frustrating than yesterday's softball heartbreaker. There we had to play our very best and hope for a miracle. Today we just needed to make some basic baseball plays any ranked D1 team should make. 

Thought it was a great series between two really good teams that still have flaws. Both teams seem capable of a CWS run or getting swept in a regional. Still early, we really needed to win 2 at home. Just glad Tech is already behind us.

• Hook 'Em 2

That’s was a great meltdown in the 9th.

In retrospect, we should leave Hurley. But you have to test Morehouse if you think he’s the closer.

Riggio down 0-2? Woody decided to call pitches hoping for strikes rather than attack. He should know Morehouse struggles a bit with control.

Yeah, Dalys groundout was a killer, but Thomas may have been worse. He could have fouled off 100 pitches. It still was a terrible AB. A bases loaded no outs K. Took the most hittable pitch. Took a little pressure off the pitcher.

OSU has the makings of a really good team. How we rebound is now more critical than losing this one.

Kennedy and Powell must produce. They didn’t. Also reasons we lost.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

Not sure why Pierce didn't walk Shubart to load the bases at the end, but I'm glad he didn't.

Because despite the fact that overall DP is a good coach, he still does brain-dead shit.  

There was zero reason not to put Schubart on 1st.  None.

Zippo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah ok. I heard this stuff after series losses in 2021 and 2022 as well. 

We are replacing a ton of talent with...not as good talent(or at least not as seasoned talent).  Pierce has only one bad year.  I think he can get them to a regional host but gonna need to find a couple of guys he can count on in the late innings because it appears this team isn't going to mash their way to victories often.

Getting these guys to Omaha would be NCAA coach of the year type stuff.

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Because despite the fact that overall DP is a good coach, he still does brain-dead shit.  

There was zero reason not to put Schubart on 1st.  None.

Zippo.

there is only one possible reason and it isn't pretty.

• Hook 'Em 1

While Zane has closed out games, he also has made them tighter than it should have been. It was eventually going to bite him in the ass. I think you stick with Hurley and if it goes south then you bring in Zane. 

Tough loss but we’ll manage. 

35 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah, Dalys groundout was a killer, but Thomas may have been worse.

Thomas almost hit a grand slam out of left. 

I'm not sure in what universe Daly predictably grounding out into a double play on an early pitch is better. I could have gone up there and struck out and done less damage. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure in what universe Daly predictably grounding out into a double play on an early pitch is better. I could have gone up there and struck out and done less damage. 

Huh? Wasn’t close to a damn grand slam lol come on man

Almost whatever didn’t help us. Thomas had several elevated pitches that could have resulted in sac flies. He took the first pitch right down the middle. His out meant the double play was possible to end the inning. From a pitchers perspective the first out is critical.

Stebens pitched 3.2 innings. Daly got 1 of the 2 hits versus him. Walked another time. Unfortunately Daly lost the 3rd battle. He got 9 other outs against other guys while allowing 2 guys to get on. Daly killed the inning, but there isn’t much to say that our next hitter would have done anything.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hello unranked

goodbye postseason

pierce gone by 2025

worst choke job in the last decade of UT baseball

Jesus fuck…I’m a Poke, often a ‘sky is falling’ one at that…and even I cringed at this shit. 
image.gif.1f26c09f51031bad18110e01143a1ea4.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

His out meant the double play was possible to end the inning.

Dude give me a fucking break. The double play was possible as soon as we got 2 guys on base. 

Daly does not hit worth a shit in big moments or when we have RISP. He doesn't battle, either. He does shit like hit into DPs and hit routine fly outs and has done it for two seasons now. 

Do you think we don't score a run if you let JT hit again instead of Daly?

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

That’s was a great meltdown in the 9th.

Yeah, Dalys groundout was a killer, but Thomas may have been worse. He could have fouled off 100 pitches. It still was a terrible AB. A bases loaded no outs K. Took the most hittable pitch. Took a little pressure off the pitcher.

Daly has a ton more experience than Thomas, so I think his AB was worse. Not even competitive.

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

With the bases loaded and no outs, your job should be to put the ball in play and give the guys on base a chance to score. Hitting a ball next to a foul pole or striking out doesn’t do that. They both had shitty results but at least one guy put it in play. 

1 minute ago, Levi said:

With the bases loaded and no outs, your job should be to put the ball in play and give the guys on base a chance to score. Hitting a ball next to a foul pole or striking out doesn’t do that. They both had shitty results but at least one guy put it in play. 

What is your job with the bases loaded and one out? 

If JT doesn't swing on the last pitch (and he beat himself up for swinging) he gets walked and Texas is up 4-2. Daly didn't even entertain that possibility. 

Y'all are acting like JT couldn't have hit into a DP. 

Dude give me a fucking break. The double play was possible as soon as we got 2 guys on base. 
Daly does not hit worth a shit in big moments or when we have RISP. He doesn't battle, either. He does shit like hit into DPs and hit routine fly outs and has done it for two seasons now. 
Do you think we don't score a run if you let JT hit again instead of Daly?

Thomas was 0-3 against the dude this very weekend. Two strikeouts. A groundout. Two inning enders including a game ender.

Thomas was 2-11 on the weekend. 4 strikeouts including one on a hit and run. Walked once. 4 groundouts. 1 fly out. His two hits were lead off singles. As best I can tell, he had no productive outs.

Thomas average, slugging %, on base percentage are all lower.

Do I have faith Thomas knocks in a run? No. He does hit quite a few ground balls and a decent number of his hits are through the infield.

Both those ABs were the final straws of an unproductive weekend for the entire offense. Outside of the homers, we were terrible.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What is your job with the bases loaded and one out? 

If JT doesn't swing on the last pitch (and he beat himself up for swinging) he gets walked and Texas is up 4-2. Daly didn't even entertain that possibility. 

Y'all are acting like JT couldn't have hit into a DP. 

I don’t thing bringing up what if’s is going to solve anything. But I also don’t think anyone is acting like Thomas couldn’t hit into a double play either. But he would have at least put the ball in play, which is something he actually didn’t do. And yeah, Daly should be thinking to avoid a double play ball result but it’s a lot better than swinging at ball 4. 

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Thomas was 0-3 against the dude this very weekend. Two strikeouts. A groundout. Two inning enders including a game ender.

Thomas was 2-11 on the weekend. 4 strikeouts including one on a hit and run. Walked once. 4 groundouts. 1 fly out. His two hits were lead off singles. As best I can tell, he had no productive outs.

Thomas average, slugging %, on base percentage are all lower.

What does any of this have to do with the discussion? We are talking about two very specific ABs. 

I didn't know you were Mitch Daly's uncle. One of them is a frosh one of them has been here 3 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

I don’t thing bringing up what if’s is going to solve anything. But I also don’t think anyone is acting like Thomas couldn’t hit into a double play either. But he would have at least put the ball in play, which is something he actually didn’t do. And yeah, Daly should be thinking to avoid a double play ball result but it’s a lot better than swinging at ball 4. 

I mean whatever man. Agree to disagree. Daly is having another pathetic fucking season. Shifting the blame to a guy that's getting his first ever run in a Texas uniform seems lame to me but I'm sure y'all know more about baseball than I do. 

Daly has a ton more experience than Thomas, so I think his AB was worse. Not even competitive.

Fine. I was not definitive in my statement.

In combination, they were inning killers. But that’s baseball. Sunday (maybe Saturday) against TT, GG killed the inning with a huge inning ending bases loaded DP. Then guess what he did next time up?

We can’t rely on no runs from the 2nd thru the 8th then rely on our 7-8-9 guys to get them across home.
  • Hook 'Em 1

What does any of this have to do with the discussion? We are talking about two very specific ABs. 
I didn't know you were Mitch Daly's uncle. One of them is a frosh one of them has been here 3 seasons. 

Did you not ask if I thought Thomas would get the run in if he was batting rather than Daly?

All that shit I quoted you supports my answer. You’ve showed nothing to support your dislike of one over another other than emotion.

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Did you not ask if I thought Thomas would get the run in if he was batting rather than Daly?

Yes I asked you that. After JT made the pitcher work hard for an out and Daly did literally the worst thing possible. The hypothetical is what would happen during the game being played.

Either way - I think there's a lot more to be positive about with this team than to be negative about and I think you agree. Sorry if I'm being a dick - I think we just disagree.

Yes I asked you that. After JT made the pitcher work hard for an out and Daly did literally the worst thing possible. The hypothetical is what would happen during the game being played.
Either way - I think there's a lot more to be positive about with this team than to be negative about and I think you agree. Sorry if I'm being a dick - I think we just disagree.

It’s cool. The team is fun to watch. Sometimes crappy baseball being mixed in is more entertaining. We’ll see how mentally strong we are now.

Thomas goes deep in the count a fair amount it seems, but he’s not always finishing. Doesn’t strike out a ton, but hits it on the ground quite a bit. Pulls it too much. I don’t it’s a talent issue. It’s just requiring patience.

Generally speaking I think Daly gets too much hell. He probably knows he’s not a natural SS. But if I were to speculate, I’d think he’s a team leader and there’s value in that. He was pretty damn good defensively this weekend - the play at home, taking the lead guy on a hit and run when O’Dowd dropped the transfer, seemed like a soft hit that he easily made the play on too.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Daly and Thomas both are putting a little extra energy into their defense which may impact their offense. They both show some good stuff at times offensively.

Daly has had several relatively hard outs throughout the season. He had one this weekend right at the right fielder, which was not the warning track fly ball. He legit had one caught that was going out earlier at home. He has multiple warning track fly balls that I’m hoping warmer weather carry a bit better. If he can get on about 35% of the time, play consistently in the field, then that’s productive in my opinion.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

It’s cool. The team is fun to watch. Sometimes crappy baseball being mixed in is more entertaining. We’ll see how mentally strong we are now.

Thomas goes deep in the count a fair amount it seems, but he’s not always finishing. Doesn’t strike out a ton, but hits it on the ground quite a bit. Pulls it too much. I don’t it’s a talent issue. It’s just requiring patience.

Generally speaking I think Daly gets too much hell. He probably knows he’s not a natural SS. But if I were to speculate, I’d think he’s a team leader and there’s value in that. He was pretty damn good defensively this weekend - the play at home, taking the lead guy on a hit and run when O’Dowd dropped the transfer, seemed like a soft hit that he easily made the play on too.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Daly and Thomas both are putting a little extra energy into their defense which may impact their offense. They both show some good stuff at times offensively.

Daly has had several relatively hard outs throughout the season. He had one this weekend right at the right fielder, which was not the warning track fly ball. He legit had one caught that was going out earlier at home. He has multiple warning track fly balls that I’m hoping warmer weather carry a bit better. If he can get on about 35% of the time, play consistently in the field, then that’s productive in my opinion.

Good comment. Certainly put it into better words than I have. Have a nice start to your week my friend. 

Hook em. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Great series from two really good teams.

Man - I have to say that OSU/Texas baseball may be the series I missed the most when y’all go to the SEC. 

Two really great programs and it always seems practically every game is a close nail-biter.

Yeah it was a good series. You guys have a great crowd and I enjoyed it a lot.

I will miss the series but I am sure we will be matched up in the post season plenty once we are in different leagues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah it was a good series. You guys have a great crowd and I enjoyed it a lot.

I will miss the series but I am sure we will be matched up in the post season plenty once we are in different leagues. 

Yeah and hopefully we’ll start playing a non-conference series as well.

13 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah and hopefully we’ll start playing a non-conference series as well.

I don't know man. Maybe once we get the hang of a full SEC season. We don't need a murderers row in our OOC as well.

But maybe if we get something easy like an annual conference series against OU we can squeeze you in.

• Haha 2

That’s one of the sickest feelings after a Texas baseball game I’ve had in I don’t know how long. I usually shake a loss off and get on with my day, the Virginia tech sugar bowl I figured out how to shake a loss off pretty quickly and man this one still stings. Such a shitty loss. Fuck. 

10 minutes ago, troph said:

That’s one of the sickest feelings after a Texas baseball game I’ve had in I don’t know how long. I usually shake a loss off and get on with my day, the Virginia tech sugar bowl I figured out how to shake a loss off pretty quickly and man this one still stings. Such a shitty loss. Fuck. 

I hate to bring this up...but this is nothing compared to game 1 of the LSU Championship series in 2009. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I hate to bring this up...but this is nothing compared to game 1 of the LSU Championship series in 2009. 

Same with the CSF championship. Those were harder but first they were championships and you never know and second those are both 14+ years ago. This was today and it suuuuuucked.

On 4/2/2023 at 10:28 PM, troph said:

Last years Sunday game where they scored 10 fucking runs in the 7th was way worse.

• Rage+1 1

On 4/2/2023 at 8:41 PM, troph said:

Same with the CSF championship. Those were harder but first they were championships and you never know and second those are both 14+ years ago. This was today and it suuuuuucked.

I still have nightmares from sad curtis thigpen on the TV late in the afternoon of that final game...

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

Last years Sunday game where they scored 10 fucking runs in the 7th was way worse.

I don't get to watch or listen to all the games to that might have been one I missed. that or I completely blocked it out of my mind.