Texas @ Oklahoma State Series Thread

Horny Bull

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It's pretty simple, AFAIK.  The fielder cannot make contact with the baserunner while going to make a play on the ball.  But once the fielder has the ball, there is no interference.  Otherwise, the baserunner would win every rundown in history.

I don’t think this is correct. The runner is supposed to yield to the fielder if he’s making a play on the ball 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I don’t think this is correct. The runner is supposed to yield to the fielder if he’s making a play on the ball 

Right. The fielder always has a right to a clear path to the ball. The old Okie State color guy calling for 'obstruction' by the fielder is just talking out of his ass. That was a DP, all the way. What's amazing is the fact that that wasn't immediately clear to all the umpires.

Obstruction is when a fielder, who is not in possession of the ball or in the process of fielding it impedes the baserunner's progress.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Seems that way, if the fielder and runner make contact, it's almost always called interference. 

It’s usually only obstruction if the fielder without the ball makes contact with the runner. Also, it’s not a dead ball play. It continues and the runner gets whatever base they would have gotten without the obstruction in the umpire’s judgment 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

Right. The fielder always has a right to a clear path to the ball. The old Okie State color guy calling for 'obstruction' by the fielder is just talking out of his ass. That was a DP, all the way. What's amazing is the fact that that wasn't immediately clear to all the umpires.

Yes exactly. What was the 1st base ump even looking at?

4 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

It’s usually only obstruction if the fielder without the ball makes contact with the runner. Also, it’s not a dead ball play. It continues and the runner gets whatever base they would have gotten without the obstruction in the umpire’s judgment 

Right. Without the ball, or not in the act of fielding the ball. 2B was in the act of fielding the ball, thus, no obstruction. 

Edited by wood

4 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Exactly. Which is why I still can’t understand how they made the original call

They suck.

Also, baseball's a fucking hard game, and umpiring it well is probably damn near as hard as playing it. The problem is that not enough umps put in the homework to stay on top of the rules. My buddy is a D1 ump now and knows the rulebook backward, forward, in his sleep, etc. I've never ever seen him get a rule wrong. He does the work to be good at it.

He wants me to ump, too, but I don't wanna do the homework & I don't wanna have to deal with dipshit coaches that also don't know the rules.

Edited by wood