Texas @ Oklahoma State Series Thread

Horny Bull

7 minutes ago, wood said:

I'd love to hear his reasoning for pitching to that last batter instead of putting him on and at least having the DP in play.

What in the actual fuck? That runner meant nothing.

I said the same thing. 

Winning run was already at 3rd. Put the guy on and play for a DP or at least an out.

Just DUMB coaching there.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

We lost this one in the top of the 9th when we didn’t score any insurance runs and then Pierce bringing in Moorhouse. If you keep on bringing in new arms, you will eventually find on that doesn’t have it (especially with our erratic arms). 

Lost it when we couldn't score more than 3 against their average at best Sunday starter.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

it is pretty sad that Pierce allows Mitchell Daly to ride his outlier one half of his freshman year.

We don't have enough infield D to not play him. It's on Pierce from a roster management perspective, not really a game management perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, wood said:

I'd love to hear his reasoning for pitching to that last batter instead of putting him on and at least having the DP in play.

What in the actual fuck? That runner meant nothing.

He had just walked the previous two batters and had zero semblance of where the strike zone was.  

• Hook 'Em 2

What a pathetic 9th inning….from our no offense in the top with bags loaded and no outs, to just flat having out “best” relief pitcher unable to even get close to getting us out of the inning in the bottom of the inning.  OSU’s relief pitching is much better than ours, an their team is better….hate saying that.  Our youth showed, but that’s no excuse.

2 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Lost it when we couldn't score more than 3 against their average at best Sunday starter.

I disagree. We lost it in both halves of the 9th inning. We put a crooked number up there in the top of the 9th...Morehouse has a good inning...we win.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

And we lost. 

We suddenly look like that 4-7 team again who couldn't get out of its own way.

We had the bases loaded with nobody out and tripped over our dicks. We had our top closer up and he have away the lead on walks and wild pitches.

Is this Oklahoma State just being amazing or is this us regressing? 

Big week coming up against Air Force and K State. Have to get it together and figure out what sort of team this is. Obviously winning one in Stillwater isn't that big of a deal. But how it went down is concerning.

We did, overall, pitch well enough to sweep this series. So that's a good thing.

if Morehouse is anywhere near being our closer we are in trouble as it relates to postseason.  time to find someone else.

• Hook 'Em 2

Okay, before we all lose our freaking minds, let's remember that we're still 16-2 in our last 18, and 4-2 against ranked opponents in that stretch.

I mean, this week is disappointing, but it's not a disaster.  One of three on the road against a ranked team plus a win over a decent aggy team is not a disaster.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

if Morehouse is anywhere near being our closer we are in trouble as it relates to postseason.  time to find someone else.

Morehouse is almost unhittable when he is on. But yeah if you are the closer you can't have days where you are walking the bases loaded and throwing wild pitches.

Just now, TexArcher said:

Okay, before we all lose our freaking minds, let's remember that we're still 16-2 in our last 18, and 4-2 against ranked opponents in that stretch.

I mean, this week is disappointing, but it's not a disaster.  One of three on the road against a ranked team plus a win over a decent aggy team is not a disaster.

No no I was told by two cunts that we were done now after this lose. No reason to watch anymore

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

He had just walked the previous two batters and had zero semblance of where the strike zone was.  

this.  Pierce didn't want the pressure on him, which is not a good thing for a closer.  game was over as soon as the first runner got on.

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That loss showed the holes that this team has (no real shortstop, lack of quality starters and a true closer). It's why it's a little disconcerting.

This team isn't missing the postseason or anything - I think some of us are just trying to figure out what the ceiling actually is. Seems a bit lower after today. 

Edited by ztejas

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Charlie Hurley is the closer on this team.

Zane Morehouse is a pitcher with good stuff when he's on.

Big difference between the two.

They better figure out that Morehouse is not a closer.  Dude needs to be a starter, preferably on Tuesdays.

SS is the other major issue, but as stated above is a roster issue.  Won't be fixed this year.

Edited by cochamps

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

That loss showed the holes that this team has. It's why it's a little disconcerting.

This team isn't missing the postseason or anything - I think some of us are just trying to figure out what the ceiling actually is. Seems a bit lower after today. 

hosting a regional would be a good season for this bunch.  too many holes.  Super Regional is likely the ceiling.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

That loss showed the holes that this team has. It's why it's a little disconcerting.

I feel like making a Regional is par.  Anything beyond that and I'm happy.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

hosting a regional would be a good season for this bunch.  too many holes.  Super Regional is likely the ceiling.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah ok. I heard this stuff after series losses in 2021 and 2022 as well. 

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

I will say this - this team has gotten better not worse. Pierce isn't done tinkering, although like I commented there's a few things limiting his options. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, TexArcher said:

Really? We go out somewhere as a #3 and go 0-2 and you will be happy with that?

I don't believe you.

But let's beat Kansas State and Air Force before we start worrying about June. How I feel about the Regional totally depends on how the rest of the season goes.

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Really? We go out somewhere as a #3 and go 0-2 and you will be happy with that?

I don't believe you.

But let's beat Kansas State and Air Force before we start worrying about June. How I feel about the Regional totally depends on how the rest of the season goes.

I didn't say I'd be happy with it.  When I say it's par, I mean if we miss the tournament, it's a disaster, and if we win a regional, I'm happy.

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Morehouse is almost unhittable when he is on. But yeah if you are the closer you can't have days where you are walking the bases loaded and throwing wild pitches.

He's like this consistently. Which = NOT the closer.

Pierce fucked up the bottom of the 9th. Keep Charley until there is a problem. 

And put the leading hitter on 1st when it is OPEN. What was he playing there for? A strikeout is only thing that you are hoping for there. ANY ball in play has to come to the plate. 

Any little league manager/coach puts the hitter on 1st. Just dumb.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Let's also clarify, we have an offensive SS issue. I've seen nothing from Daly the last 3-4 weeks to suggest he is in over his head defensively. Is he Trey Faltine? No. Is he better than what we've seen from every other option at SS? Very much so.

He's passable on D at short. He's a good fielder but he's slow. The problem is we don't have anyone else on the roster that's passable. Daly should have been pinch hit for in the 9th inning - but there isn't really anyone that you can trust B9 to defend there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

We held a really good hitting team to 11 runs in a three game series on the road. That seems good and promising.

My one overall concern with Pierce is his teams don't seem to be able to hit good/great pitching. Texas has tons of games where they can only score in one or two innings, like today. Even with great pitching, that's not a recipe for success in the postseason/Omaha. 

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

My one overall concern with Pierce is his teams don't seem to be able to hit good/great pitching. Texas has tons of games where they can only score in one or two innings, like today. Even with great pitching, that's not a recipe for success in the postseason/Omaha. 

Yeah but most teams can't do that. Sometimes you have to win 2-0.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's passable on D at short. He's a good fielder but he's slow. The problem is we don't have anyone else on the roster that's passable. Daly should have been pinch hit for in the 9th inning - but there isn't really anyone that you can trust B9 to defend there.

Couple of insurance runs in T9 and we don't need the starting SS there.

I think he should have been pinched hit  (just needed a fly ball there) to score at least one instead of his DP to end the inning (again). Dude is slow as shit and that is why he has no range. 

There are plenty of other issues with GIVING AWAY this game, but he is becoming a liability (or already is) at the plate. 

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

we don't need the starting SS there.

Literally the 2 games we tried to give other guys a chance at SS, we had to insert Daly back in during the game because it was so bad.

It's easy to sit here and say "we don't need the starting SS" in the bottom of the 9th of a close game until a groundball is hit to his replacement.=

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That's what I was looking for.  Makes more sense now.  Nobody in the bullpen either.  I still think he should have walked him.

3 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

That's what I was looking for.  Makes more sense now.  Nobody in the bullpen either.  I still think he should have walked him.

It wouldn't have mattered. We were not winning that game.

The baseball gods do not reward teams who put the leadoff runner on in 6 of 9 innings, walk 8 and do not score with the bases loaded and nobody out

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Then put the guy on and get our 'closer' the fuck out of the game for a new pitcher. He clearly didn't have anything, but he left him in there anyway. Stupid baseball coaching there. Just throwing your hands up and saying "Welp, he can't fucking throwing a strike, so no point in making the right move here, and let's just roll with him on the mound anyway" is the opposite of good coaching. We probably lose the game anyway even if he does the right thing, but at least if you put the guy on, & put a pitcvher on the mound who knows what a strike looks like, you have a chance at a DP. He might as well have just forfeited right then and there.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Then put the guy on and get our 'closer' the fuck out of the game for a new pitcher. He clearly didn't have anything, but he left him in there anyway. Stupid baseball coaching there. Just throwing your hands up and saying "Welp, he can't fucking throwing a strike, so no point in making the right move here" is the opposite of good coaching. We probably lose the game anyway even if he does the right thing, but at least if you put the guy on, you have a chance at a DP. He might as well have just forfeited right then and there.

It's not that deep. Pierce is always playing for May and June. He always has. And it always costs us games during the regular season.  

Today it likely didn't affect the outcome at all. So why not let Zane build some character? Whether he closes or not there will be more situations down the road like that where we need him. 

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Literally the 2 games we tried to give other guys a chance at SS, we had to insert Daly back in during the game because it was so bad.

It's easy to sit here and say "we don't need the starting SS" in the bottom of the 9th of a close game until a groundball is hit to his replacement.=

If you read my post, I said he's not needed there with an insurance run or two. I know I'm not the only one here ( it was posted multiple x's throughout today's game) that his offensive production this year (9 RBIs in a 100 PA) is pretty abysmal (and I like the kid). But in that situation, we needed runs and not another DP (which he hit into). 

I's also a mute point needing him for the 9th for his defense when your closer doesn't throw strikes and walks the opposing hitters.