Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

Got on this topic with a buddy of mine.  

Is she the best women’s player of all time? 

Over a 3 year career at Iowa
27.0 PPG
7.1 RPG
8.0 APG
1.4 SPG
46/38/86 % Splits 

1000+ points in one season. 2,687 (and counting) for her career. 

74-24 since she’s been on campus.  3 tourney appearances, 2 sweet 16s, 1 E8, 1 F4, 1 NC game appearance. 

The 5 years before she was there 
115-50, 1 S16, 1 E8, missed the tourney 3 of 5 years.  

Only player to ever have back to back 40 point tourney games in women’s history.

Most points scored in a Final Four game in women’s history. 

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Really didn't want to warm up to her because I can't stand Iowa athletics at all, but she's a stone cold killer.  She talks shit and backs it up.  Watching her torch that Louisville twat and telling her to STFU was gold and I'm hoping she slaps the smug off of white trash grandma's face tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 4

44 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Really didn't want to warm up to her because I can't stand Iowa athletics at all, but she's a stone cold killer.  She talks shit and backs it up.  Watching her torch that Louisville twat and telling her to STFU was gold and I'm hoping she slaps the smug off of white trash grandma's face tomorrow.

Haley Van Lith?  Sounds like she's a mouthy one.

9 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Is she the best women’s player of all time? 

The sport has evolved a good deal over the last 40 years and I don’t want to go looking up or posting stats from a bunch of people, but for this to be true she would have to be better than people like Cheryl Miller, Nancy Lieberman(-Kline), and the endless list of greats from Tennessee and uconn over the past 20 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

She’s got the running three and the scooping layup down. 

I think it was last weekend, she was over 50% on threes from 3 feet behind the women’s 3 point line. Like Jesus Christ 

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The sport has evolved a good deal over the last 40 years and I don’t want to go looking up or posting stats from a bunch of people, but for this to be true she would have to be better than people like Cheryl Miller, Nancy Lieberman(-Kline), and the endless list of greats from Tennessee and uconn over the past 20 years. 

Pure stats, really only Miller and Swoopes and Lieberman (that I’ve seen) match up.   Better stats than Parker, Taurasi, Bird, Stewart, Moore etc.  The greats from the 80s-90s of Tennessee I’m not as familiar with so I’m sure I’m missing some players there.  

Definitely more stat driven now a days but there was talent all over those UConn and Tennessee teams every year. Iowa really only has one other player that’s decent.  Clark commands a ton of attention for obvious reasons

I don’t know enough to have a true arguement for or against it.  Just straight stat searching shows another level with Clark but I’m sure there are greats that have close to her stats that I don’t know about. 

58 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Pure stats, really only Miller and Swoopes and Lieberman (that I’ve seen) match up.   Better stats than Parker, Taurasi, Bird, Stewart, Moore etc.  The greats from the 80s-90s of Tennessee I’m not as familiar with so I’m sure I’m missing some players there.  

Definitely more stat driven now a days but there was talent all over those UConn and Tennessee teams every year. Iowa really only has one other player that’s decent.  Clark commands a ton of attention for obvious reasons

I don’t know enough to have a true arguement for or against it.  Just straight stat searching shows another level with Clark but I’m sure there are greats that have close to her stats that I don’t know about. 

Her stats aren't better than Stewart's (who is the women's GOAT afaic) they're just different. And Stewart posted better advanced metrics. Her last year at UCONN she shot .625 from 2, .426 from 3, .836 from the stripe on ~20 ppg and chipped in 1.8 steals and 3.4 blocks per game. That's retarded.

Clark's advanced/efficiency numbers would probably be better if she had better teammates, but Breanna would have put up bigger numbers if she wasn't on a juggernaut. Her WNBA numbers are ridiculous. 

You can talk about CC in the context of best college players ever (she's obviously on a short list) but GOAT claims when she hasn't played a WNBA game are silly. She may set the WNBA on fire she may just wind up being really good. Kelsey Plum (the all time leading NCAA scorer) scored 32 a game on 53/43/88 splits her senior season (in the pac12) and she just made her first all star team 5 seasons into her WNBA career. Women's college teams just aren't very good. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

She's got another year or eligibility left. In today's NIL world and her lacking team support I wonder if someone might pry her away for her last season?

She had $2 million plus in NIL deals before the season started including a Nike shoe contract and deals with Buick and Goldman Sachs among others.  The top salary in the  WNBA is about $232000.  Just stay at Iowa for two more years and rake in the cash. 

• Haha 1

She stands to make more money at Iowa. Plus i think everyone would like to see how it goes in the tourney for them next year. A rematch with SC would be almost as good as one with LSU. And i think Kim Mulkey is trash, but it's also compelling when there is a heel. I hope they lean into that.

I respect the hell out of Clark, but I deleted social media off my phone about 6PM on Sunday because I want nothing to do with the endless and frequently stunningly racist post-game conversation.  It's become absurd in both directions, with people dropping some completely unveiled racism towards the LSU players, to the people calling fucking Jill Biden of all people a racist for an off-handed suggestion that the second place team come to the White House.

It does feel that we're at a point where women's basketball (at least collegiate level) is getting some serious mainstream interest, and Clark is the Michael Jordan/Wayne Gretzky of the sport.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

14 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I like how we're ignoring the fact that people don't like LSU because their white head coach is a piece of dogshit.

Oh, I hate Kim Mulkey's guts and thought that the LSU players acted like shit heads.

But it isn't because they're black.  They likely learned it, or were at least encouraged in it by their shit head rape enabling narcissist white coach.  People of all racial backgrounds have proven to be awful.

There are tons of people on the internet attributing the LSU behavior to being "thugs" or "hood" or "ghetto" and even people straight up tossing the N word out there.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

LOL Jill Biden actually wants to invite Iowa to the WH? 

That isn't racist - but it is an extension of moronic trophy culture. LSU has a right to call her out on that shit. 

I think it was an off-handed remark and not a serious idea.

The Iowa HC very politely declined when a reporter asked her about it and then invited the Bidens to a game in Iowa City.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah pretty sure she was just being nice and not serious. The LSU girl said something about calling the Obama's and she'd go meet with them. I bet Michelle would tell her to pull that stick out of her ass and quit talking shit about her girl Jill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 10 months later...

Watching Iowa/Nebraska right now. 

Iowa has some other pretty good players. This Martin girl can fucking stroke it. 

I feel like they have enough to potentially win the tourney. 

Clark's ball-handling and passing is so damn good - forget her shooting. She's like a female Bird.

I do think the size and athleticism at the next level is going to give her problems for a little bit, though. 

Disclaimer: I watch zero women's college basketball. I watch very, very little men's college basketball. I watch zero NBA basketball.

I watched a little less than half of the Iowa/Nebraska game just because I wanted to see what the buzz was about. It was crystal clear she is the best player on the floor. Everyone else looked like they were playing in six inches of water. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

On 4/1/2023 at 9:47 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Cheryl Miller was the GOAT in women's basketball.  She was so much further ahead of anyone else on the court when she played.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2024 at 8:32 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Clark is 8 points away from the NCAA scoring record, and so as few people see the record as possible her next game will be aired exclusively on Peacock!

image.png.24167e6e18a17a647006f25bc453d8ad.png

Had a discussion a couple of days ago with my brother - he follows this way more than me, as he was a HS girls coach, and we both agreed that Iowa, while not trying to lose to Nebraska on Sunday, tried not to have Clark score the points in the Sunday game but rather when they were playing a home game.

14 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

And in the most Clark way, it was a pull up from well back of the 3 point line. I’d watch a collegiate 3 point shooting contests with her and Abmas 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And in the most Clark way, it was a pull up from well back of the 3 point line. I’d watch a collegiate 3 point shooting contests with her and Abmas 

In a somewhat related note, this weekend is the inaugural NBA vs WNBA 3 point challenge. Steph vs Sabrina.

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nba/2024-nba-all-star-odds-sabrina-ionescu-steph-curry-to-face-off-in-3-point-contest

”Ionescu challenged Curry to a 3-point contest after she recorded 37 out of a possible 40 points in the final round in the WNBA 3-Point Contest last year, setting a WNBA and NBA single-round event record.  

Curry mentioned taking on Ionescu when he was mic’d up during a recent game. Ionescu accepted the challenge.”

On 2/16/2024 at 11:38 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

They shooting from nba line or wnba line (I assume it’s different but don’t know). Don’t know if curry shooting a wnba ball would help or hurt him because of different feel.

They both shot from the NBA line, but each used the ball they normally play

On 4/2/2023 at 2:44 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

She's got another year or eligibility left. In today's NIL world and her lacking team support I wonder if someone might pry her away for her last season?

Per Sheryl swoopes she’s already played 8 years.  That’s the only way she broke scoring record

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2024 at 2:44 PM, closetohumping said:

Per Sheryl swoopes she’s already played 8 years.  That’s the only way she broke scoring record

Swoopes is so jealous that a white, Catholic, straight woman going to do more for the WNBA than her 4 chamopionships every did.