2023 Boston Red Sox Thread

txhorns

Didn’t see a thread for the Sox which is surprising.  We’ve started out average which is good considering our starting pitching has sucked so far.  Don’t think my boy Brasier will be with the team for much longer.  I’m excited, though, as I get to go to Fenway for a few games in about 9 days!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Fuck yeah! Hope you have a great time. Drink a beer for all of us! 

I shall drink plenty for all of you.  Wife is running in the Boston Marathon so will be there the weekend before and a few days after.  The Angels are in town so hoping to see Ohtani pitch.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Good win today. Brasier scares me. 

He had a lazy eye in high school and rarely pitched.  When he did pitch he was looking at home plate and third base simultaneously.  Since he barely pitched he was pretty wild, but throw in the 90s.  You should have faced him then.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So how was it? 

Just got back and have been swamped with work so haven’t had time to post.  Fenway was awesome!  Won all 3 games I was able to make it to.  Got to eat at the Cask n Flagon, tour Fenway and sit in 3 different parts of the park.  Unfortunately did not get to make it into the monster seats.  Only issues with the trip came on Marathon day.  Was riding the green line on the train to follow my wife on the course but had the train break down twice.  The second time they shut the entire green line down.  That fucked up my getting to the finish line and meant I couldn’t get to my wife until about an hour after she finished.  She did qualify for the Chicago Marathon next year!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Just got back and have been swamped with work so haven’t had time to post.  Fenway was awesome!  Won all 3 games I was able to make it to.  Got to eat at the Cask n Flagon, tour Fenway and sit in 3 different parts of the park.  Unfortunately did not get to make it into the monster seats.  Only issues with the trip came on Marathon day.  Was riding the green line on the train to follow my wife on the course but had the train break down twice.  The second time they shut the entire green line down.  That fucked up my getting to the finish line and meant I couldn’t get to my wife until about an hour after she finished.  She did qualify for the Chicago Marathon next year!

Nice! Please tell her congrats! 

• 2 weeks later...

Granted it’s a small sample size, but…

The Red Sox:

Own the AL’s longest active win streak (5 G)

Own MLB’s 2nd-best record since 4/14 (13-6)

Lead MLB in comeback wins (13)

Rank 3rd in MLB in runs scored and OPS

Are 7-3 in series

Have scored 6+ runs in each of their last 5 games

Hold the AL’s 3rd Wild Card spot

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Red Sox are shuffling up their infield alignment, most notably dropping Enrique Hernandez from the everyday shortstop role and returning him to his more familiar split between center field and second base, manager Alex Cora announced to reporters last night. For the time being, utilityman Pablo Reyes will take the reins at shortstop. Cora also started Justin Turner at first base over Triston Casas last night, calling that the team’s best defensive alignment and noting that the Sox plan to work with Casas on his defense. (Turner, however, made a key error late in the eventual loss.)

Trevor Story’s offseason elbow surgery threw a wrench into the Red Sox’ infield plans, prompting the team to sign Adam Duvall to man center field and push Hernandez to shortstop — a position where he’d logged just 163 innings in the preceding four seasons combined. The Sox also picked up Adalberto Mondesi in a trade with the Royals, hoping he’d bring some additional depth, but he’s yet to play in a game this season due to ongoing injury woes.

Hernandez, 31, proved himself to be a lights-out defender in center field during his first season with the Red Sox in 2021, and Defensive Runs Saved has long credited him as an above-average second baseman. The shift to a less-familiar shortstop position wasn’t necessarily expected to be easy, but it’s been far more difficult than the team envisioned. No player in baseball has more errors than the 14 Hernandez has committed in just 411 innings at short. Defensive Runs Saved (-7) and Outs Above Average (-8) have graded him as one of the game’s six worst defenders at any position so far in 2023. As a team, the Red Sox rank 26th in MLB in DRS (-20) and are tied for last in OAA (-16). 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/06/red-sox-rumors-kike-hernandez-shortstop-pablo-reyes.html

On 5/15/2023 at 3:10 PM, txhorns said:

well my boy has been DFA.  Hopefully he gets picked up somewhere.

He lives. 

On 6/1/2023 at 8:42 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

4-run bot 8. Have it on the Cincy broadcast cause Bos one was fucking up, their announcers are already beat-down by the season

Also, the bolded didn’t age real well here. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Sox win another. Pivetta looks good from the Pen. 

So what moves should we make? One more starter?

Offense is streaky, but seems to be coming through. 

That’s a good thought exercise. 

Three games above .500 and somehow in last place in the division. 

The bullpen doesn’t really concern me. As you said, starting pitching needs another proven arm. Getting Duval back helps the offense. When Story comes back, that should too. Scoring isn’t the issue with this squad. As we’ve discussed the past couple of years, I’m not sure why they don’t address SP in the draft. I guess it’s too hard to project. I’m sure we’ll see more more of the same tomorrow - drafting high-potential, athletic middle infielders that project to a number of positions long term.

I guess the central question is this: do we believe with one more quality starter and a healthy roster that this team can make a run? I’m not sure, especially in the AL East this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As much as it pains me to say it I think we need to sell at the deadline if we can get decent value for our guys.  I wouldn’t give up any of the organization’s top 10 prospects to improve this team.  I also would not give up any of our players without getting one of their top 10 prospects.  It’s kind of a shitty position to be in.