Cash App founder stabbed to death in San Francisco

ztejas

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

So what’s the path for taking back the city ?

id start with being able to camp / sleep anywhere. Next, have to go after the drug supply 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/health/story/2023-03-01/proposed-bills-could-lead-to-more-mandated-mental-health-treatment

Going after the ACLU's "right to die in the gutter" approach.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This is one of those utterly failed policies that has bipartisan support for such failure.

It was a liberal cause to go after the old mental health system, which made it too easy to involuntarily commit someone (lots of horror stories about greedy kids getting surviving parent committed so they could then loot the estate, etc.).  Very ACLU-friendly cause.

And now, the right loves the outcome because very little mandatory mental health care means super low gov't costs for mental healthcare.

I mean, nevermind that the outcome is clearly mentally ill people on the streets shitting themselves, shitting on the street, engaging in behavior that's dangerous to themselves, engaging in behavior that is a threat to others.....the ACLU got a win, and the right gets low taxes, and those are what are REALLY important.

The issue won't get fixed.  There's not just no will to fix it, there's active work AGAINST any fix on the part of entrenched power groups.  

And that's setting aside the OTHER two idiotic approaches to homelessness (espoused/practiced by the two extremes right here in River City: either let the homeless roam free and do whatever wherever, OR, BAN ALL THE HOMELESS!).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

This is one of those utterly failed policies that has bipartisan support for such failure.

It was a liberal cause to go after the old mental health system, which made it too easy to involuntarily commit someone (lots of horror stories about greedy kids getting surviving parent committed so they could then loot the estate, etc.).  Very ACLU-friendly cause.

And now, the right loves the outcome because very little mandatory mental health care means super low gov't costs for mental healthcare.

I mean, nevermind that the outcome is clearly mentally ill people on the streets shitting themselves, shitting on the street, engaging in behavior that's dangerous to themselves, engaging in behavior that is a threat to others.....the ACLU got a win, and the right gets low taxes, and those are what are REALLY important.

The issue won't get fixed.  There's not just no will to fix it, there's active work AGAINST any fix on the part of entrenched power groups.  

And that's setting aside the OTHER two idiotic approaches to homelessness (espoused/practiced by the two extremes right here in River City: either let the homeless roam free and do whatever wherever, OR, BAN ALL THE HOMELESS!).

Right, but it appears that CA is trying to fix the glitch. The below is the CARE act, signed into law by Newsom last fall. 

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a controversial bill Wednesday overhauling the state's approach to mental health care for people diagnosed with schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders.

The state Senate last month approved the Community Assistance, Recovery and Empowerment Act, which will allow family members and first responders to ask a judge to draw up a treatment plan for people deemed to be suffering from those disorders. Those who refuse could be placed under a conservatorship and ordered to comply.

Currently, unhoused people with severe mental health disorders can be held against their will at psychiatric hospitals, but must be released after three days if they promise to follow up with other services and take prescribed medication.

The new law will let a court order a treatment plan for up to two years, which may include medication, housing and therapy. Participants will have access to a public defender and an advocate to help make decisions about treatment programs and housing. In turn, the behavioral health department in that county would be compelled to provide treatment.

While it shares some elements of mental health programs in some other states, California's new system will be the first of its kind in the country, according to state Sen. Tom Umberg, D-Santa Ana, who co-authored the law.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Right, but it appears that CA is trying to fix the glitch. The below is the CARE act, signed into law by Newsom last fall. 

You’re in LA so I know you know as well as I do that homelessness is a structural issue beyond the capacity of any one city to handle - Willie Brown and Gavin Newsom found out years ago, and I suspect Karen Bass will soon. In S.F. the progressive camp basically disagrees that the situation in the TL and SOMA is a quality of life issue and will actively resist efforts like the CARE Act. In any event the dynamic in those neighborhoods in so structurally entrenched I doubt it will ever change significantly. Is Skid Row similar? I’d guess.  

50 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

You’re in LA so I know you know as well as I do that homelessness is a structural issue beyond the capacity of any one city to handle - Willie Brown and Gavin Newsom found out years ago, and I suspect Karen Bass will soon. In S.F. the progressive camp basically disagrees that the situation in the TL and SOMA is a quality of life issue and will actively resist efforts like the CARE Act. In any event the dynamic in those neighborhoods in so structurally entrenched I doubt it will ever change significantly. Is Skid Row similar? I’d guess.  

I don't disagree. I will say, as someone who is somewhat embedded with progressive policy wonks, there seems to have been a marked shift in the last 3-5 years towards a model that expands the state's ability to force treatment. Obviously that comes with a massive caveat that such a system have robust due process protections, appeals, right to attorneys, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Foosters said:

I don't disagree. I will say, as someone who is somewhat embedded with progressive policy wonks, there seems to have been a marked shift in the last 3-5 years towards a model that expands the state's ability to force treatment. Obviously that comes with a massive caveat that such a system have robust due process protections, appeals, right to attorneys, etc. 

Which is the right answer.  The same as it is for "no red flag laws vs. red flag laws."  Balance.  An approach that balances protecting society and protecting the individual.  Nothing is ever perfect, but a "fuck society, the individual can do whatever he wants" sucks as does "fuck the individual, make it easy to lock anyone up for any reason because we want to protect society."

The problem is that any middle, sane path requires thought, effort, time, and money.  And this is America -- anyone who asks for any one of those things, much less all four, can get fucked.

• Hook 'Em 6

56 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I’m just explaining, as someone active in S.F. political circles, what I view to be specific political obstructions to changing what you see downtown when people visit. I wasn’t kidding when I said the homeless had one of the most powerful political advocacy groups in the city. I think we are on the same page from a policy perspective but I find the difficulties implementing the CARE court system disheartening. Doesn’t help that the city’s homelessness department threw its hands up yet again a few weeks ago. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

I’m just explaining, as someone active in S.F. political circles, what I view to be specific political obstructions to changing what you see downtown when people visit. I wasn’t kidding when I said the homeless had one of the most powerful political advocacy groups in the city. I think we are on the same page from a policy perspective but I find the difficulties implementing the CARE court system disheartening. Doesn’t help that the city’s homelessness department threw its hands up yet again a few weeks ago. 

I was listening to a podcast with a lady out of L.A.(Kara Davis) and she was saying that one of the biggest issues standing in the way of helping is the homeless advocate. Basically, there is a lot of money in advocating for the homeless to ever really address the issue. On the surface that sounds messed up. But human nature being what it is, I would not be surprised.

And then there is the school of thought that the illegal drug issue needs to be addressed to help.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah definitely didn’t post that to advance a political agenda

Sure Jan GIF

I posted it because it was a shocking piece of news that deserved discussion. And we've gotten good discourse surrounding the issue out of it. I voted Biden 2020 and dem for Governor, LT Gov and state AG in 2022. You really think I post here to advance conservative discussion points? Give me a break JS you're better than that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:48 PM, Hook1997 said:

State broke?  California had a 22 billion dollar deficit that Newsum admits to, it worse. I mean you are basically saying if you are rich you don’t have to deal with issues or see them everyday?  I guarantee most don’t have views like that, I’ve been in yards that have views like that, that’s not a common ever day view.  You are basically saying yes I don’t know about anything the common folk deal with?  Lol.  I’m not arguing for the common SF people but I don’t think you have a dog in this fight. 

I had a stroke trying to read this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

I was listening to a podcast with a lady out of L.A.(Kara Davis) and she was saying that one of the biggest issues standing in the way of helping is the homeless advocate. Basically, there is a lot of money in advocating for the homeless to ever really address the issue. On the surface that sounds messed up. But human nature being what it is, I would not be surprised.

And then there is the school of thought that the illegal drug issue needs to be addressed to help.

Yes, the homelessness industrial complex is a thing. There is a massive amount of grift involved and the non-profits have the funds to exert significant political influence and litigate.  They are not necessarily ill-intentioned, but they have a staunch idea of what the city’s approach should be (the status quo, but with more funding for the programs they happen to operate) and what the downtown should look like (not gentrified). The progressive camp is all about throwing money at quixotic ideas and opposing gentrification and the rest of the city doesn’t give a shit about the TL, so here we are.

Michael Shellenberger is an idiot btw. Gary Tan is a good follow. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

It's ultra liberalism gone awry and anyone with common sense can see it. It's in vein with the people that think that simply legalizing all drugs will solve the drug issue in America. It's a bunch of people that have never experienced the experiences that they're advocating for and are completely unaware of how to solve those experiential issues. 

I mean fuck me people are stupid. And what's worse is that people think that because they have money they aren't still stupid. 

I never posted this in DT wishing to advance any political agenda. I was mainly shocked when I read the headline considering San Francisco is supposed to be one of the greatest cities in the world. If we're letting a city like that slowly slip into Gotham-level shit  - maybe we need to readdress what it means to be an American.

I'm a moderate - I'm not on anyone's "team" - but I sure as shit think we can all do a better job of taking care of ourselves. Stories like this make me want to bridge the political gap between myself and others. We shouldn't have to accept shit like this - the standards should be higher.

There's a version of this where we all get together and figure shit out. I'm going to continue to believe in that.  

It's sad that trying find ways to help address the suffering of fellow Americans is considered political.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’ve said this a lot… SF just has a different breed of homeless. I can’t explain it. I noticed it even back when I first visited as a kid with my family in the mid 2000s. Portland has the most homeless I’d ever seen, but for the most part they are oddly docile. I was in downtown Portland for a week in 2021, out and about everyday. Wasn’t accosted or talked to once by any of them. 

SF has a pretty angry, aggressive homeless population in my experience every time I’ve been. Much more than Austin or Houston or NYC (by far in that case). I don’t know why that is but it’s just very noticeable to me as someone that’s been to most of the major cities here. People want to lump them all in on pile and say they’re the same everywhere but they just really aren’t. 

We’re all saying all this and watch it not even be a homeless person that killed this guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, goodiemob said:

I had a stroke trying to read this.

Eh I was drinking while I posted it but if someone can basically say the issue in SF is not that bad, they are definitely out of touch with reality.  The next day I actually saw a post about someone taking their kid on a college tour and they went to eat lunch somewhere nice.  Fifteen minutes inside and their luggage was gone.  

I’ve said this a lot… SF just has a different breed of homeless. I can’t explain it. I noticed it even back when I first visited as a kid with my family in the mid 2000s. Portland has the most homeless I’d ever seen, but for the most part they are oddly docile. I was in downtown Portland for a week in 2021, out and about everyday. Wasn’t accosted or talked to once by any of them. 

SF has a pretty angry, aggressive homeless population in my experience every time I’ve been. Much more than Austin or Houston or NYC (by far in that case). I don’t know why that is but it’s just very noticeable to me as someone that’s been to most of the major cities here. People want to lump them all in on pile and say they’re the same everywhere but they just really aren’t. 

We’re all saying all this and watch it not even be a homeless person that killed this guy.

Chicago and SF seem to have the most aggressive homeless.

31 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Eh I was drinking while I posted it but if someone can basically say the issue in SF is not that bad, they are definitely out of touch with reality.  The next day I actually saw a post about someone taking their kid on a college tour and they went to eat lunch somewhere nice.  Fifteen minutes inside and their luggage was gone.  

I mean that sucks.  I watched a video of a junkie give birth on a sidewalk, supposedly in SF.    Like kid on the cement birth.   Shorty way to start life, in the gutter and suffering from withdrawals. 

• Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Chicago and SF seem to have the most aggressive homeless.

I saw some pretty aggressive street people in Seattle while I was there pre-COVID. Maybe that changed. 

My theory on NYC is that NYPD and even average New Yorkers are going to make you pay and get up in your shit if you get too out of line in a way that bothers them. Do it a few times and you eventually get thumped. 

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

That happened to my parents when eating at Greenwich Village (NY) on the way from the airport to the hotel. My dad was so pissed off, he returned to the airport after lunch and flew back home to Texas.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That happened to my parents when eating at Greenwich Village (NY) on the way from the airport to the hotel. My dad was so pissed off, he returned to the airport after lunch and flew back home to Texas.

Where was the luggage?  In a car or inside the restaurant?  Just curious.  Heck here in Austin you can’t leave anything in your front yard unattended for any period of time without it getting snatched.   Lawn equipment, coolers, chairs etc.

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Where was the luggage?  In a car or inside the restaurant?  Just curious.  Heck here in Austin you can’t leave anything in your front yard unattended for any period of time without it getting snatched.   Lawn equipment, coolers, chairs etc.

Trunk of my brother's car.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's ultra liberalism gone awry and anyone with common sense can see it. It's in vein with the people that think that simply legalizing all drugs will solve the drug issue in America. It's a bunch of people that have never experienced the experiences that they're advocating for and are completely unaware of how to solve those experiential issues. 

I mean fuck me people are stupid. And what's worse is that people think that because they have money they aren't still stupid. 

I never posted this in DT wishing to advance any political agenda. I was mainly shocked when I read the headline considering San Francisco is supposed to be one of the greatest cities in the world. If we're letting a city like that slowly slip into Gotham-level shit  - maybe we need to readdress what it means to be an American.

I'm a moderate - I'm not on anyone's "team" - but I sure as shit think we can all do a better job of taking care of ourselves. Stories like this make me want to bridge the political gap between myself and others. We shouldn't have to accept shit like this - the standards should be higher.

There's a version of this where we all get together and figure shit out. I'm going to continue to believe in that.  

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, but starting the post by blaming “ultra liberals” makes one immediately skeptical. I’m sure even “ultra liberals” were always on board with a robust, well-funded, and compassionate system, with due process, but it evolved into the exact opposite. It was a system that relied on police powers, judicial coercion, and under funded nightmare facilities that weren’t actually trying to help and were instead just cruel. It was essentially prisons for people who struggled for one reason or another, then when the “ultra liberals” pushed back, they closed them down and just started sending anyone struggling on the streets to actual prison. We’re still there in most respects, but half the country (probably more) today still wants that as the solution, just criminalize anything an unhoused person does and lock them up, as long as they don’t bother me on the street. All they have to do is pull themselves up by their bootstraps, no excuse is good enough, if you can’t do that, just put them away with the rapists and murderers. A better system requires funding, and that’s a forbidden concept in this country, everything has to be low tax, and prisons are cheaper than helpful intervention and treatment for those who can’t afford Betty Ford. So we’ll just continue this cycle for eternity, I’m resigned to just accept it as I can’t change it, like most fucked up things in this country.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, but starting the post by blaming “ultra liberals” makes one immediately skeptical. I’m sure even “ultra liberals” were always on board with a robust, well-funded, and compassionate system, with due process, but it evolved into the exact opposite. It was a system that relied on police powers, judicial coercion, and under funded nightmare facilities that weren’t actually trying to help and were instead just cruel. It was essentially prisons for people who struggled for one reason or another, then when the “ultra liberals” pushed back, they closed them down and just started sending anyone struggling on the streets to actual prison. We’re still there in most respects, but half the country (probably more) today still wants that as the solution, just criminalize anything an unhoused person does and lock them up, as long as they don’t bother me on the street. All they have to do is pull themselves up by their bootstraps, no excuse is good enough, if you can’t do that, just put them away with the rapists and murderers. A better system requires funding, and that’s a forbidden concept in this country, everything has to be low tax, and prisons are cheaper than helpful intervention and treatment for those who can’t afford Betty Ford. So we’ll just continue this cycle for eternity, I’m resigned to just accept it as I can’t change it, like most fucked up things in this country.

I would make the argument that proper treatment and intervention is cheaper in the long run than warehousing people in the criminal justice system. It's very expensive to continue the and repeat cycle of arrest, jail, prosecution and so on not to mention the suck on policing resources. If we could figure out the addiction and mental health resources, we can turn these folks into functional members of society, lessening their overall burden on the taxpayer and, ideally, turn them into taxpayers and contributors to the economy.

• Hook 'Em 5

Tech of tech crime!

Interesting. Sounds like he was riding in a car with the guy and exited the vehicle after some kind of confrontation. Explains why he was in that desolate area and blows away the escort theory

https://missionlocal.org/2023/04/bob-lee-killing-arrest-made-san-francisco/

There's no one solution to homelessness because there's no one cause for homelessness. True that a lot should be in a hospital/institution. Some would be better if they just had access to reasonable healthcare, jobs, and affordable housing. San Franciso does offer a lot of services they can't find elsewhere, which attracts many here, but then the housing cost is a crusher. Some just fall on hard times and have no family / support structure to lean on. Many are also just traveling hobos who pop in and out of town and enjoy their life on the streets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Tech of tech crime!

Interesting. Sounds like he was riding in a car with the guy and exited the vehicle after some kind of confrontation. Explains why he was in that desolate area and blows away the escort theory

Ghey?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

What kind of tech guy uses a knife to commit murder? What happened to his dissolving-ray projector, his gravity reverser, or his nano-rabid-bat swarm? A knife? That's Stone Age shit.

Maybe the idea was to make it look random (homeless person or similar)…they have shared so very little in this case it made me wonder if it was a person that knew him.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Hey, these are cops we're talking about. They could totally be arresting the wrong guy.

I figured once they recovered the knife and ran fingerprints? I mean if the killer met him for dinner or drinks or whatever you’d probably start running if the person you were with started putting on gloves unless you were so drunk/ drugged you were unable to comprehend what was happening. This is weird ass story. 

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I wonder what the motive was since it wasn’t a random suspect. I’ve been following this but authorities gave so little to work with/speculate about…

I did wonder if it was personal. 

down low gone wrong? Married dude comes back to clear up loose ends after moving to the absolute other end of the country. Doubtful it was for anything business related as tech bro wouldn't need actual presence in the city to do that, so a personal agenda more likely the reason for the visit.

Dinner, break-up, car ride, fight ensues, passions flare, knife cuts. If something like that, it's a story as old as time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

This has been a pretty revealing episode for how the media - yes, even the "liberal" ones - carries water for Wall St. and capital.
Both the NY Times and the LA Times ran pieces with the following headlines in the immediate wake of the stabbing:
Stabbing of Cash App Creator Raises Alarm, and Claims of ‘Lawless’ San Francisco
Cash App founder killed in San Francisco stabbing, reigniting concerns over violent crime
San Francisco is not IN THE TOP 25 cities when it comes to violent crime. Given the headlines though, one wonders how they reached this conclusion that SF is consumed with violence and that fear is reflected in their citizens?
The LA Times quoted 2 tech executives - Elon Musk and MobilCoin CEO Joshua Goldbard. That was it. That was their basis to support the headline above. 
The NY Times quotes 3 people to support their "claims of 'lawless San Francisco."  They are: Elon Musk, Matt Ocko (tech entrepreneur and venture capitalist in Palo Alto, Calif). and Roy Bahat (head of the venture firm Bloomberg Beta)
Is that good journalism? To amplify obvious political talking points from billionaires as representative of a city? 
TechBros, heal thyselves
There's going to be a press conference in a few hours.

In the aftermath, there was a statement made by one of Lee's friends that he had left SF because it wasn't safe. I just read this article and found this statement from Lee's wife to be interesting.

But Krista Lee emphasized that her ex-husband, with whom they have two children, loved San Francisco and moved to Florida to live with his father after his mom died, not because he was scared to live in the city. 

She said her former husband would really take affront to how people are painting San Francisco as a lawless town and blaming politicians for the crime that occurs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ktvu.com/news/emeryville-man-arrested-in-connection-with-stabbing-death-of-cash-app-exec-bob-lee.amp
  • Hook 'Em 3

So there is a presser in two hours I guess on this:

“San Francisco jail records identified the man as Nima Momeni, 38, who was booked on a homicide charge. His LinkedIn account shows he is a UC Berkeley graduate and the founder of Expand IT in Emeryville. 

"This is the first step toward justice," Lee said from her home in Miami, where Bob Lee had moved from Mill Valley in the fall. 

San Francisco police and the district attorney are holding a news conference at 12:30 p.m., which will be livestreamed here. 

Mission Local first broke the news that police arrested Momeni, who also works in tech and knew the 43-year-old Lee.

Krista Lee said she believes Momeni knew her husband, but she is perplexed as to the motive behind the violent attack.”

https://www.ktvu.com/news/emeryville-man-arrested-in-connection-with-stabbing-death-of-cash-app-exec-bob-lee.amp

So a Berkeley grad that started Expand IT—-so fucking odd. Revenge maybe? Revenge for a business deal or something gone wrong? I wonder what kind of knife? Because if not a folding one or something you might carry and it’s a kitchen one then it was planned? Fucking bizarre.