Cash App founder stabbed to death in San Francisco

ztejas

44 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This has been a pretty revealing episode for how the media - yes, even the "liberal" ones - carries water for Wall St. and capital.

Both the NY Times and the LA Times ran pieces with the following headlines in the immediate wake of the stabbing:

Stabbing of Cash App Creator Raises Alarm, and Claims of ‘Lawless’ San Francisco

Cash App founder killed in San Francisco stabbing, reigniting concerns over violent crime

San Francisco is not IN THE TOP 25 cities when it comes to violent crime. Given the headlines though, one wonders how they reached this conclusion that SF is consumed with violence and that fear is reflected in their citizens?

The LA Times quoted 2 tech executives - Elon Musk and MobilCoin CEO Joshua Goldbard. That was it. That was their basis to support the headline above. 

The NY Times quotes 3 people to support their "claims of 'lawless San Francisco."  They are: Elon Musk, Matt Ocko (tech entrepreneur and venture capitalist in Palo Alto, Calif). and Roy Bahat (head of the venture firm Bloomberg Beta)

Is that good journalism? To amplify obvious political talking points from billionaires as representative of a city? 

TechBros, heal thyselves

Did we read the same NYT article? I thought summed up the discourse in the city fairly well.

The drumbeat has built since then in the liberal city that only last year recalled its progressive district attorney amid calls for law and order and deepening frustration over the city’s homelessness crisis. While city officials agree that the murder is a terrifying tragedy and a signal that San Francisco has work to do on public safety, they’re also clashing with powerful figures in the tech sector over the nature and severity of the city’s problems with crime.

“A small minority has tried to weaponize this tragedy to advance a narrative about a crime wave that just isn’t borne out by the data in San Francisco,” Kevin Benedicto, a police commissioner and lawyer, said on Thursday. At a commission meeting earlier in the week, Mr. Benedicto complained that some on social media “are exploiting this horrific incident for political gain.”

“No one should listen to anything Elon Musk has to say, particularly about San Francisco,” he said, calling the tech billionaire who bought Twitter “an opportunist who bought one of our anchor companies and proceeded to tear it apart.”

Mr. Lee’s death, he said, was a terrifying tragedy that deserved public attention and understandably unnerved the city, especially with no arrests. Crime statistics, he added, mean little when the victim is a loved one.

“But there’s this narrative that all of San Francisco is like Mad Max Thunderdome,” Mr. Wiener said, referring to the 1980s post-apocalyptic film, “and it’s not true.”

Just now, We’reTexas said:

Did we read the same NYT article? I thought summed up the discourse in the city fairly well.

Yes, the body of the articles pushes back on the 5 millionaire's claims that the city is a cesspool of violence. I'm wondering why it was framed that way in the first place? Its lazy, clickbait journalism at best. Especially when "SF is dangerous and violent!" is a right-wing talking point used to illustrate that Dems cannot be trusted to run a city. 

NY Times Pitchbot explains it better:

• Haha 3

So a Berkeley grad that started Expand IT—-so fucking odd. Revenge maybe? Revenge for a business deal or something gone wrong? I wonder what kind of knife? Because if not a folding one or something you might carry and it’s a kitchen one then it was planned? Fucking bizarre.

It was a 4" kitchen knife that it was reported they found nearby.

The 2:30am time always stuck out to me. That's half an hour after bars close here. My guess is they were drinking some place, and Lee was getting dropped off back to his hotel after close. Wierd that he'd have a fucking kitchen knife handy.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

It was a 4" kitchen knife that it was reported they found nearby.

The 2:30am time always stuck out to me. That's half an hour after bars close here. My guess is they were drinking some place, and Lee was getting dropped off back to his hotel after close. Wierd that he'd have a fucking kitchen knife handy.

Good points. So brought the kitchen knife with him. Meets up with him after the Tech conference. Gives him a ride. Stabs him in the car…probably DNA evidence in the car plus there are cameras everywhere likely showing the suspect’s car. Finding the knife was huge though. Even if the suspect had his car detailed or cleaned it himself there would still be traces. So weird. He had to figure that the victim wouldn’t survive? Or survive long enough to tell anyone? Did the victim jump out of the car? Or did he pull over and stab him and the guy gets out and collapses? Yeh, the knife is huge. Totally premeditated. 

As far as Democrats or Republicans being mayor/ running a city I always just think of all mayors as being like this guy:

45026CB7-3019-4561-AC1E-DA67DA3A418A.gif

do people really think this was some tech bro dustup at 2:30am regarding work?  When you take the trouble to shank someone in the chest with a pear knife from your ikea kitchen, it's personal and most likely means love is in the air.  Or was...

Edited by ballrific
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ballrific said:

do people really think this was some tech bro dustup at 2:30am regarding work?  When you take the trouble to shank someone in the chest with a pear knife from your ikea kitchen, it's personal and most likely means love is in the air.  Or was...

I’m guessing they have his prints on the knife and they are probably in the system:

CRIMINAL HISTORY

Alameda County court records show that in 2011 was charged with allegedly selling a switchblade knife and driving with a suspended license, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. He pleaded no contest to the suspended license charge the following year and the knife charge was dismissed. He was sentenced to 10 days in jail as well as three years of probation, fined more than $900 and ordered to destroy the knife.

Additionally, Momeni was charged with a misdemeanor in 2004 for allegedly driving while intoxicated, the Chornicle reported.
https://www.ktvu.com/news/what-we-know-about-nima-momeni-suspect-in-cash-app-founder-bob-lee-stabbing-death.amp

More on Nima Momeni in the above link…

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

According to reports, Momeni was pitching Lee on a new mobile app that was in development. The app, called Stabify, uses mobile phone location tracking to identify nearby people that deserve to be stabbed.

It's possible, though still unconfirmed, if this was simply a case of a product demo gone awry.

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Alameda County court records show that in 2011 was charged with allegedly selling a switchblade knife and driving with a suspended license, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. 

"Selling a switchblade knife"? 

Was he bootlegging cigarettes and running a dry cleaner protection racket, too?

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, royiv said:

I would make the argument that proper treatment and intervention is cheaper in the long run than warehousing people in the criminal justice system. It's very expensive to continue the and repeat cycle of arrest, jail, prosecution and so on not to mention the suck on policing resources. If we could figure out the addiction and mental health resources, we can turn these folks into functional members of society, lessening their overall burden on the taxpayer and, ideally, turn them into taxpayers and contributors to the economy.

It absolutely would be cheaper to provide temorary housing and healthcare for the homeless than it is to do the jail, release. emergency healthcare, jail, release cycles throughout their remaining lifetimes.

But it's a political non-starter. Half the country gets visibly angry at the mere mention of giving poor/homeless people "free" stuff. The other half thinks that helping the homeless get on their feet is a great cause...oh, wait, you want to house them near my neighborhood? Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:21 PM, ztejas said:

Okay but we're talking about crime in San Francisco. In a thread about a prominent multi-millionaire getting stabbed to death outside his apartment. I don't think what the property crime in ABQ in 2018 was is particularly relevant. 

To revisit the initial discussion, aside from SF having a homeless problem which I think we all agree on, does anyone care to comment on the fact that this was bro on bro violence, and not pooping in the streets homeless stabbing?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

To revisit the initial discussion, aside from SF having a homeless problem which I think we all agree on, does anyone care to comment on the fact that this was bro on bro violence, and not pooping in the streets homeless stabbing?

They won’t 

On 4/12/2023 at 8:58 PM, ztejas said:

It's ultra liberalism gone awry and anyone with common sense can see it. It's in vein with the people that think that simply legalizing all drugs will solve the drug issue in America. It's a bunch of people that have never experienced the experiences that they're advocating for and are completely unaware of how to solve those experiential issues. 

I mean fuck me people are stupid. And what's worse is that people think that because they have money they aren't still stupid. 

I never posted this in DT wishing to advance any political agenda. I was mainly shocked when I read the headline considering San Francisco is supposed to be one of the greatest cities in the world. If we're letting a city like that slowly slip into Gotham-level shit  - maybe we need to readdress what it means to be an American.

I'm a moderate - I'm not on anyone's "team" - but I sure as shit think we can all do a better job of taking care of ourselves. Stories like this make me want to bridge the political gap between myself and others. We shouldn't have to accept shit like this - the standards should be higher.

There's a version of this where we all get together and figure shit out. I'm going to continue to believe in that.  

No comment on this murder not being homeless or urban decay related at all?

According to reports, Momeni was pitching Lee on a new mobile app that was in development. The app, called Stabify, uses mobile phone location tracking to identify nearby people that deserve to be stabbed.
It's possible, though still unconfirmed, if this was simply a case of a product demo gone awry.

Stabify isn’t douchy enough. A more douchy-trendy typical name would be “Styb”.
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So we've established that tech execs are in fact worse than drugged out homeless people everywhere. Sounds about right. 

I'm not sure we have yet, but god willing we'll get there. Especially since the tech execs are in fact a major reason SF won't address its homeless problem.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

some guy gets stabbed in a city where 99% of this board does not live, it goes to 5 pages, you know what's up

Yeah, but Austin did have a crazed homeless dude take a sword, not just a knife, to a few people a couple years ago.  'Cause everything is bigger in Texas.

It is one of those rare issues though where the politically juxtaposed can agree...we are not going about this the right way, at least in Austin.  Hundreds of millions of dollars later, dozens of faith-based charities, mental health, more police, camping bans from the right, feel-good efforts from the left, we are proper fucked twelve ways from Tuesday.  I guess we'll buy another hotel today and see what that does...

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, but Austin did have a crazed homeless dude take a sword, not just a knife, to a few people a couple years ago.  'Cause everything is bigger in Texas.

It is one of those rare issues though where the politically juxtaposed can agree...we are not going about this the right way, at least in Austin.  Hundreds of millions of dollars later, dozens of faith-based charities, mental health, more police, camping bans from the right, feel-good efforts from the left, we are proper fucked twelve ways from Tuesday.  I guess we'll buy another hotel today and see what that does...

i risk getting sucked into the quagmire but since I'm already halfway in, homelessness is not a city problem and will not have city solutions

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They wield substantial influence in local SF politics and oppose numerous measures that would alleviate homelessness. Anything more and I'll get slapped for going CR here.

Neither of those statements is accurate, but totally agree with your below statement that no one city is going to solve homelessness. 

• Hook 'Em 3