Kansas Republicans want to check your child’s undies

Pancho

So who does the inspections?  Governmental employees via the school?  Medical professionals hired for this specific inspection purpose?  Or maybe clergy members because that's where most of the experience in child genital inspections resides?

• Hook 'Em 3

So we’re totally doing this in Texas, right?  I mean Dan patrick already has a green screen shirt that says “CGI: Child Genital Inspector” and Abbott is already down there anyway, may as well make himself useful.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So we’re totally doing this in Texas, right?  I mean Dan patrick already has a green screen shirt that says “CGI: Child Genital Inspector” and Abbott is already down there anyway, may as well make himself useful.  

I'm sure this will be the next round of model legislation for most of the mid-south and south.

Kind of surprised Kansas beat Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc. on this, to be honest. 

• Like 1

What if a person has neither sex organs?  Can’t play at all?  What about both?  To they get to choose?

what if a female child has naturally higher testosterone than most other girls?  Make her join the boys’ team?  If it’s about fairness of competition, it’s not the penis that is performance enhancing- it’s the hormone mixture associated with each gender. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What if a person has neither sex organs?  Can’t play at all?  What about both?  To they get to choose?

what if a female child has naturally higher testosterone than most other girls?  Make her join the boys’ team?  If it’s about fairness of competition, it’s not the penis that is performance enhancing- it’s the hormone mixture associated with each gender. 

They have to play frisbee golf

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

It seems Kansas is still leading the nation in "How far is too far?". Remember when Sam Brownback and super majorities in both chambers slashed taxes on the upper tax brackets, small businesses, and sales tax and effectively bankrupted the state in 2 years? Right wing think tanks called Kansas tax cuts a "model for the nation", but they were so broke the republican ledge had to reverse the tax cuts after Brownback left office. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You jest, but that's likely where it needs to go. The arbitrary male/female divide is just that so classify it with something that can be measured.

41 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It seems Kansas is still leading the nation in "How far is too far?". Remember when Sam Brownback and super majorities in both chambers slashed taxes on the upper tax brackets, small businesses, and sales tax and effectively bankrupted the state in 2 years? Right wing think tanks called Kansas tax cuts a "model for the nation", but they were so broke the republican ledge had to reverse the tax cuts after Brownback left office. 

Iowa has dove headfirst into trying to be the new Kansas.  And we voted for Obama, twice.

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

why are you summoning demons here?

He won't come anywhere near here. He's the guy who changed usernames just because everyone figured out what a gigantic sack of shit (pun fully intended) he is. Plus, I'm sure he's deep into his Maundy Thursday routine.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

He won't come anywhere near here. He's the guy who changed usernames just because everyone figured out what a gigantic sack of shit (pun fully intended) he is. Plus, I'm sure he's deep into his Maundy two for one margarita happy hour Thursday routine.

Edited by Bullneck

Are we just not gonna talk about it?  Because I think we should talk about it.  I once got all the way up to the bank inspector of inspectors of inspectors.  The head of the OCC.  it’s like the matrix when you meet the person behind the person behind the person behind the person. 

who in their right fucking mind is gonna petition to be appointed supervisor for training adolescent sports genital inspectors of inspectors of inspectors?  Somebody has to oversee the fucking training module and I sure as shit know there ain’t one they can reuse.  Who the fuck is this sick asshole and then who signs up to be his leadership team?  What the fuck?  We used to curb stomp people like this; now this new asshat gets a government stipend and a team building retreat at Washburn University?

2 hours ago, Stilicho said:

I'm sure this will be the next round of model legislation for most of the mid-south and south.

Kind of surprised Kansas beat Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc. on this, to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Iowa has dove headfirst into trying to be the new Kansas.  And we voted for Obama, twice.

Fuck, Big 12 vs SEC bullshit heating up.

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Kansas Dems going to make a come back 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

So who does the inspections?  Governmental employees via the school?  Medical professionals hired for this specific inspection purpose?  Or maybe clergy members because that's where most of the experience in child genital inspections resides?

The nation turns its jaundiced eyes to the one man they can trust.

spacer.png

Actually pretty damn clever with the magnifying glass.

I know irony doesn't work on these pustules, but the voters going GOP because they believe the Dems are cannibal pedos are now throwing their hysteria and support behind these guys? Goodnight, America.

spacer.png

Edited by RomaVicta

@BabaYaga supports this government regulation.

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So after five years, TD unbanned me and there are at least five new trans related threads started everyday.  It’s frankly disturbing how obsessed these people are about an issue that concerns such a small percentage of the population. 

What happened to being afraid of brown people? Why the…transition?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

While the law's intent is despicable, the execution is worse.  Why not accept a doctor's note ("Suzie is a biological female")?  They accept vaccine records, etc.  (Watch that requirement evaporate next.)

To be perfectly clear: I oppose this bill completely and without hesitation. I think what the GOP is doing to demonize transgender teens is abhorrent and repugnant. It breaks my heart to see grown adults in positions of power bullying and humiliating emotionally vulnerable teenagers for political advantage.

That being said, there is nothing in this bill requiring genital exams. The bill does not explain how a ban would be enforced. It may be enforced through a doctor's note or through a requirement to show a birth certificate, as it is in Kentucky.

Spoiler

Kansas lawmakers voted Wednesday to override Gov. Laura Kelly’s third veto in as many years on a law banning transgender athletes from girls’ and women’s sports teams.

The ban, which critics are calling an attack on transgender students’ rights, will go into effect this summer.

The text of the new law is pretty vague in terms of enforcement, so there’s a lot we don’t know yet — including how officials will determine whether a student athlete is transgender.

The law tasks the Kansas State High School Activities Association (KSHSAA) — a group responsible for administrating competition among Kansas high schools in both athletic and non-athletic activities — with establishing the specific enforcement guidelines that schools will need to implement.

Will the state insist on inspecting students’ genitalia?

Critics have suggested the ban’s vague language could leave room for invasive inspections of student athletes. It’s a critique of the bill that has been thrown around since it began gaining traction in 2021, but state officials have said genital inspections will play no role in the policy.

A similar bill in Ohio last year contained a “genital inspection” requirement that was later removed following public opposition. A similar provision was removed from a Florida bill in 2021.

Kansas’ new law contains no such provision.

Jeremy Holaday, a spokesman for KSHSAA, said that while no details of the enforcement plan have been discussed yet, invasive medical inspections are not likely.

“We don’t anticipate something like that taking place,” he said. “I don’t think that’s ever been suggested, from what I know, in Kansas with this bill.”

Rep. Barb Wasinger, a Hays Republican and supporter of the ban, told The Star Thursday that the ban does not mandate or allow for genital inspection of children.

“Currently you have to supply a birth certificate to even go to school,” Wasinger said.

On Thursday afternoon Kansas House Speaker Dan Hawkins issued a statement to add even more clarity: “There’s absolutely no language or intent in the Fairness in Women’s Sports Act to require any type of genitalia inspection and that will not be the outcome of the bill.”

However, critics have pointed specifically to the bill’s extension to students younger than high school age, which are not governed by KSHAA.

“It is my sincere hope that the rules and regulations will prevent students from being subjected to the proponents wishes, as they outlined on the House floor, which would require medical examinations of gentalia of student athletes,” Rep. Brandon Woodard, a Leawood Democrat and the first openly gay man elected to the state House. “Bill text aside, the representatives pushing for this bill stated that medical examinations will occur for those without birth certificates.”

Woodard referenced an exchange on the House floor with Wasinger. He asked her how the sex at birth would be proved and she suggested a birth certificate or, in its absence, “a medical examination by their doctor.”

“You have to have a sports physical before you play and so I assume that the physicians would know,” Wasinger said.

Who decides how to enforce Kansas’ transgender athlete ban?

The KSHSAA will “adopt rules and regulations for its member schools to implement the provisions” of the ban.

Holaday, the spokesman, told The Star that the agency is meeting with several advisory groups this month to discuss how to approach these guidelines.

“We want to have thorough discussions with our sports medicine advisory team and our board of directors before we have any sort of official details or direction for our member schools,” he said.

“We do anticipate both of those groups will be in our office in the next couple of weeks to discuss this at length and make sure we’re heading in the right direction.”

Public colleges and universities are also subject to the law but can decide their own enforcement standards.

Officials with the Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley, Olathe, Gardner Edgerton and De Soto school districts did not immediately return The Star’s request for comment.

How have other states handled transgender athlete bans?

Kansas is now the 20th state to have some type of ban on transgender athletes competing in school sports. The state joins 11 others with bans that apply to students of all ages, from kindergarten through college.

Transgender athlete bans are temporarily on hold in Idaho, Indiana, Utah and West Virginia due to court orders. Tennessee’s ban requires schools that do not comply to lose state funding.

Some states, including those that do not have bans on transgender athletes, include space for genital inspections on forms used for student athletes’ physical exams. Some states, like Oklahoma and Michigan, specify that these exams are for “males only.”

Most states also ask female athletes for information about their menstrual cycles on these forms, which critics say excludes transgender girls and women.

‘Who are they making these rules for?’

Adam Kellogg, a transgender activist and University of Kansas student who has testified in the statehouse against anti-trans legislation, said that the ban opens children who are not transgender to greater scrutiny.

“I think this is going to hurt more cisgender kids than anyone,” he told The Star, referring to students whose gender identity aligns with the sex they were assigned at birth. “They’re now subject to judgment for the way they dress, act and look. Tomboys are now going to be scrutinized for simply not being feminine enough.”

Kellogg added that he doesn’t know of any transgender athletes who will be impacted by the new law — indicating that the ban attempts to solve a nonexistent problem.

“Who are they making these rules for? No one. There had been no issue before,” he said. “It’s harmful rhetoric that only serves to tell trans kids they do not matter and are not welcome in Kansas.”

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article274047620.html

Again, I completely oppose this legislation. But it damages the credibility of those who argue for equality among genders to create false enforcement that isn't in the bill. It opens the door for the middle of the road "both sides" doofuses to say, "well the bill doesn't mandate genital examinations by a homeroom teacher, so it's not THAT bad" after loud mouthed AM radio assholes scream about the woke mob blowing this out of proportion. Don't exaggerate the pernicious effects of this bill. It's horrific enough on its face. 

kids sports and sports in general are just not that important and certainly not more important than the health and wellbeing of kids. I hope you guys have fun with your daughters at track and volleyball but nobody gives a shit and there's no such thing as a level playing field in sports or anywhere else.

*edit*

this could be interpreted as singling out female sports as things that people don't give a shit about - I said daughters specifically because the (mostly imaginary) nightmare scenario that republicans find less preferable than dead children or government child genital inspectors is a biological male competing against females in youth sports.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

kids sports and sports in general are just not that important and certainly not more important than the health and wellbeing of kids. I hope you guys have fun with your daughters at track and volleyball but nobody gives a shit and there's no such thing as a level playing field in sports or anywhere else.

It wouldn't be completely clean, but it seems to me a system where varsity/JV ("A" and "B" etc.) were defined by which athletes were the best would alleviate most of this shit.  We've seen female kickers in college.  We've seen female wrestlers in HS.  If you're good enough to make the top team, you're in.  Figure out the showers.  Maybe have "trans" showers.  I don't know.  The whole thing is an absurd overreaction.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/7/2023 at 9:22 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So after five years, TD unbanned me and there are at least five new trans related threads started everyday.  It’s frankly disturbing how obsessed these people are about an issue that concerns such a small percentage of the population. 

You're talking about a website that had a major Qanon thread(s) going that was just full of mentally ill people who believed that Hollywood celebrities were trafficking kids and that Trump was going to execute people on the steps of the Capitol or something.  These people are idiots and gaslighting by their own party is a constant presence in their lives.  Don't overthink it.

On 4/6/2023 at 1:24 PM, TexLonghorn said:

Pretty sure Kansas already had the guy they wanted to perform the inspections in mind. I hear they're transferred from Florida to Leavenworth as we speak. 

Who is Larry Nassar? Timeline of his career, prison sentences - Lansing  State Journal