Kansas State @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Just now, Mac8111 said:

How can Daly still be seeing any action ?

Yeah, it’s been time to try somebody else. 2 years of sub par hitting and the defense isn’t good enough to justify playing time. 

Gotta find a way to get Duplantier or Carlson into the lineup. I said this a couple weeks ago and the argument was that “you can’t mess with middle infield defense.” Daly’s fielding isn’t good enough for that argument to have any merit. 

Just now, markstanco said:

Lololol. Me too. But I had a legit excuse picking kids up from the movies. I could have hit record but I wrote it off as a L.

I had no excuse, just didn't want to see them lose, which is what I expected. Especially after watching the astros blow it earlier today. Good on ya to all y'all that stayed with it. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, it’s been time to try somebody else. 2 years of sub par hitting and the defense isn’t good enough to justify playing time. 

Gotta find a way to get Duplantier or Carlson into the lineup. I said this a couple weeks ago and the argument was that “you can’t mess with middle infield defense.” Daly’s fielding isn’t good enough for that argument to have any merit. 

They did get Carlson and Duplantier into the lineup, and still played Daly.  

I don’t trust Flores’ arm at SS at all or his defense in general, but maybe against lefties they start letting him get some playing time with Daly moving over to second. It’s risky because we’ve seen Flores struggle on defense, but I am not completely against it now.

Powell moving to 1B with Carlson at 3B against lefties makes too much sense to not be a thing moving forward.

Also, Daly hit two balls tonight that would have opposite field bombs on a normal night, so he is far from completely lost. O’Dowd is the bigger problem defensively and offensively, especially against lefties.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Flores had a nice play to end it tho

He’s a 3B long term imo, but it’s going to take an offseason of summer and fall reps to get him to where he needs to be because what he showed early in the year at 3rd was ugly.

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

They did get Carlson and Duplantier into the lineup, and still played Daly.  

The issue is Daly shouldn’t be playing at all. He hasn’t been able to hit for 2 years. 

I can live with freshman and O’Dowd working through things because their struggles have been nowhere as long-term. Reality is this just may be who Daly is as a hitter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also, Daly hit two balls tonight that would have opposite field bombs on a normal night, so he is far from completely lost.

But that's the problem with Daly. He doesn't have that power and those balls get hung. Faltine obliterates both of them last season. 

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I said this a couple weeks ago and the argument was that “you can’t mess with middle infield defense.”

Dude get off your high horse. Everyone and their mom has been looking for an excuse to get Daly out of the lineup lately. The issue is that we don't have a true defensive short stop right now. 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The issue is Daly shouldn’t be playing at all. He hasn’t been able to hit for 2 years. 

I can live with freshman and O’Dowd working through things because their struggles have been nowhere as long-term. Reality is this just may be who Daly is as a hitter. 

O’Dowd is 5 for his last 30. Daly 5 for his last 34. Both have been bad but Daly is a far superior defender to O’Dowd.

I wish I could see a splits breakdown for O’Dowd but I bet his batting average against lefties is below .175.

If you are going to move around the middle infield it needs to be Daly to 2B against lefties.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude get off your high horse. Everyone and their mom has been looking for an excuse to get Daly out of the lineup lately. The issue is that we don't have a true defensive short stop right now. 

This is just a bad argument though. Daly isn’t a “true defensive shortstop” either.

People keep making excuses for a guy that hasn’t hit in 2 years. Try anything else even if it fails. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is just a bad argument though. Daly isn’t a “true defensive shortstop” either.

People keep making excuses for a guy that hasn’t hit in 2 years. Try anything else even if it fails. 

No it isn't a bad argument. Who of our defensive infielders do you think is better than Daly this season? 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also, Daly hit two balls tonight that would have opposite field bombs on a normal night, so he is far from completely lost. O’Dowd is the bigger problem defensively and offensively, especially against lefties.

Yeah, but on a normal night, Daly would've just hit it 20 feet shorter to compensate.  Seriously though, his average is almost identical to last year's (not good) and his RBIs are way under pace.

image.thumb.png.12e95ae770a7d4932fe91a441a6e6ce6.png

Just now, ztejas said:

No it isn't a bad argument. Who of our defensive infielders do you think is better than Daly this season? 

I’ve never argued Texas has great options defensively. Point still remains they need to try something else. 

I also don’t think the drop off defensively at sS is going to be nearly as significant as some continue to argue. No matter who you try at SS. 

It’s not going to happen unless he goes sub .220.  Pierce thinks Daly is his best middle infielder and won’t give that up for 40 points of BA.  

Y

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

O’Dowd is 5 for his last 30. Daly 5 for his last 34. Daly is a far superior defender to O’Dowd.

I wish I could see a splits breakdown for O’Dowd but I bet his batting average against lefties is below .175.

If you are going to move around the middle infield it needs to be Daly to 2B against lefties.

I don't care much which one of the two sits, but you can't have both in the lineup.  If Daly slides to 2B, then we roll with Flores at SS, or can Carlson play short?

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

O’Dowd is 5 for his last 30. Daly 5 for his last 34. Both have been bad but Daly is a far superior defender to O’Dowd.

1000%. 

2 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Y

I don't care much which one of the two sits, but you can't have both in the lineup.  If Daly slides to 2B, then we roll with Flores at SS, or can Carlson play short?

I’ve wondered about Carlson playing SS but he hasn’t gotten any reps there, even in warmups.

O’Hara is probably the best defensive SS on the roster but he crapped his pants in his only appearance and the bat probably isn’t ready.

Edited by Hookem2147

I’ve never argued Texas has great options defensively. Point still remains they need to try something else. 

I also don’t think the drop off defensively at sS is going to be nearly as significant as some continue to argue. No matter who you try at SS. 

Defense at short is immense. You need to be a much, much better batter to make up for it assuming you're worse defensively. 

Again - we all see how much Daly sucks. We also all see (except for you, maybe) that there isn't a realistic option to insert at short over Daly on D. 

Pretty sure I commented within the first 3 games that we didn't have a true SS. It's going to fuck us all season. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Defense at short is immense. You need to be a much, much better batter to make up for it assuming you're worse defensively. 

Again - we all see how much Daly sucks. We also all see (except for you, maybe) that there isn't a realistic option to insert at short over Daly on D. 

Pretty sure I commented within the first 3 games that we didn't have a true SS. It's going to fuck us all season. 

We don’t have a true shortstop but point being Daly isn’t one either. He’s far from an elite SS. I’m not expecting a huge drop off defensively if you play somebody else there.

If Daly was Faltine at SS but couldn’t hit your argument might have merit. But the dude is nowhere close to that good defensively.

We don’t have a true shortstop but point being Daly isn’t one either. He’s far from an elite SS. I’m not expecting a huge drop off defensively if you play somebody else there.

If Daly was Faltine at SS but couldn’t hit your argument might have merit. But the dude is nowhere close to that good defensively.

The only reason that Daly is even playing short is because he's so fucking good at 2nd and 3rd. And it's not like he's been terrible at SS this season- he just isn't great. 

Ultimately it's a coaching/management failure to not have that position addressed. 

Just now, ztejas said:

The only reason that Daly is even playing short is because he's so fucking good at 2nd and 3rd. And it's not like he's been terrible at SS this season- he just isn't great. 

Ultimately it's a coaching/management failure to not have that position addressed. 

I wouldn’t say terrible but I don’t think the fielding numbers tell the entire story either. Daly’s range at SS is very limited. 

I wouldn’t say terrible but I don’t think the fielding numbers tell the entire story either. Daly’s range at SS is very limited. 

Dude we all agree that his range is limited. I've been obliterating the guy for weeks now. I'm not sure what we are really disagreeing about. 

1 minute ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Nah, Daly at 2B is much better than O'Dowd. Their shitty hitting is about the same overall. 

O’dowds issue is he can’t hit lefties and we are seeing a lot of lefties because of how many left handed hitters are in the lineup. 

I would definitely prefer O’Dowd against right handed pitching. 

Thomas is a bigger problem than Daly. ODowd is probably a bigger problem than Daly. Flores is a bigger problem than Daly. Duplantier has shown about the same, and we have no idea whether he can play defense. Harp on Dalys lack of power but Carlson has no XBH in 28 plate appearances.

Daly is playing the premium defensive position.

I didn’t see tonight and was working while watching Tuesday but Dalys defense versus OSU and AF had some damn good moments.

If we struggle against lefties, Thomas and ODowd should sit first. We probably should play matchups, but that’s not really Pierces thing. It might be now. You’ve got to play them enough that when called upon to play you give them a fighting chance to succeed.

Don’t expect the bottom of the order to save the day. Offensively we’ve been poor the last week because EK and Powell have been poor.

There will be big hits out of the part of the order though. Just who knows when.