2023 NBA Playoff Pool

BigOrange1

$25 winner take all.  this year we're going to incorporate the playoff tournament.  3 bonus points per correct pick in every game.  and you don't have to get game 1 correct in order to qualify for the bonus for game 2 (for example, if you pick the hawks to beat the heat and the heat win, you can still make a pick for the winner of the hawks vs. tor/chi game).  picks for each play-in game are due by tip off of each respective game.

after the play-in, it'll work the same way it's always worked.  you pick the winner and how many games the series' lasts.  if you get the correct number of games, you get a 5 point bonus (note - in rounds 2-4, you must have the correct matchup in order to be eligible for any bonus points).

1st round - 10 points/matchup, 2nd round, 20 points/matchup, 3rd round, 30 points/matchup, finals, 40 points. 

post picks in this thread.  payments can be made via venmo/paypal/cash app and are due by sunday, april 16th.

matchups for the first 4 play-in games are set: hawks @ heat and t'wolves @ lakers are on tuesday, bulls @ raptors and thunder @ pelicans are on wednesday.  there will also be two final play-in games on friday and then the playoffs get going full swing on saturday at noon, meaning you'll have to get your full playoff picks in by that point.

let me know if something doesn't make sense and i'll try to clarify.  i'm on a plane most of the morning/afternoon tomorrow, but should be able to monitor this thread tomorrow evening.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just a PSA play in games start tomorrow. 

Lakers > Wolves

Pels > OKC

-

Miami > ATL

CHI > TOR 

Or wait - are you saying we just pick the first 2 games then we pick the 3rd play in game? I think you should have to get the winner right from the jump for the 3rd one - even if they win vs. a different team. 

Edited by ztejas

For the benefit of the pool I am sponsoring another child. This one is going to probably pick based on uniform color and it will be very annoying when she wins. And before anyone gets any ideas, $25 is not nearly enough for me to try to game the system. 

She is taking OKC and Chicago tonight. 

i count 8 total entries (baboon x3, hornonthebayou x2, wulaw, me, ztejas).  that's pretty much in line with what we typically have.  and its $175 to the winner which is a decent enough prize.  i think we should leave it as it is.

my picks:

east 1st round - milwaukee over miami in 4, boston over atlanta in 5, philly over brooklyn in 6, knicks over cavs in 7

west 1st round - denver over minnesota in 5, lakers over memphis in 7, warriors over kings in 6, suns over clippers in 5

east 2nd round - milwaukee over knicks in 6, boston over philly in 7

west 2nd round - suns over denver in 6, warriors over lakers in 7

east finals - milwaukee over boston in 7, suns over warriors in 7

finals - milwaukee over suns in 6

I just sent you the donation to Baboon's daughter for Jr and I. Here are my picks. Jr will pick when he wakes up.

1st round: Milwaukee in 5, Cleveland in 7, Philly in 5, Boston in 5, Denver in 5, Phoenix in 5, Golden St in 6, Memphis in 7
2nd round: Milwaukee in 5, Boston in 7, Phoenix in 6, Golden St in 6
Conference finals: Milwaukee in 6, Phoenix in 6
Finals: Milwaukee in 6

DEN 4 MIN 1

MEM 4 LAL 2

SAC 2 GSW 4

PHO 4 LAC 0

-

PHO 4 DEN 2

GSW 2 MEM 4

-

PHO 4 MEM 2

-

MIL 4 MIA 0

BOS 4 ATL 1

PHI 4 BKN 1

CLE 4 NYK 3

-

MIL 4 CLE 2

BOS 4 PHI 2

-

MIL 4 BOS 3

-

PHO 4 MIL 3

Now let's all watch the Lakers somehow pull a title out of their cunts.

Edited by ztejas

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Girl wins the night -- looks like you know what is undefeated again 😂😂😂

She had a gut feeling that despite his performance against TOR Zach Lavine was a useless sack of donkey testicles. She guessed right. 

(CHI never should have lost that game. Whatever. Fuck these shitty play in teams)

Edited by ztejas

• 2 weeks later...

ok, i made an attempt at adding up all the scores through round 1, but PLEASE feel free to double check my work.  here is how i have it as of round 1:

1. baboon daughter - 97 points 
  2. bigorange - 89 points
  3. hotb/hotb jr - 69 points
  4. baboon/baboon son/ztejas - 64 points
  5. wulaw - 61 points
  6. zepol - 55 points
  7. zepol friend - 50 points 

On 5/2/2023 at 5:09 PM, ztejas said:

This is one of the worst entries I've ever had to any contest like this. May the winner buy a moderately priced dinner out on my dime. 

Yea I quit giving a fuck pretty early. Terrible 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...