2023 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Time to Start Thinking About Winning Again

BigOrange1

Obviously we should have taken Mobley but last year we were 3rd and smith was the take and any other team at 3 would have taken smith. Who was after smith that we should have taken? Ivey? My issue is what we do with guys like porter and other roster moves. I have zero confidence fertits or stone will hire the right guy to take this team over.

On 4/9/2023 at 9:47 PM, BigOrange1 said:

Names that have been mentioned as possible candidates include Nick Nurse, Ime Udoka, Kenny Atkinson, and Scott Brooks.  

On 4/14/2023 at 9:54 AM, Rip76 said:

Sam Cassell interviewing for HC spot.

Damn, what's Kenny have to do to get a look?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Obviously we should have taken Mobley but last year we were 3rd and smith was the take and any other team at 3 would have taken smith. Who was after smith that we should have taken? Ivey? My issue is what we do with guys like porter and other roster moves. I have zero confidence fertits or stone will hire the right guy to take this team over.

I wanted Ivey. 

46 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Mobley was never coming here as long as Porter was on the roster. Mobley's brother and Porter didn't like each other at USC. It's why he told the organization he wouldn't even come for a workout. Green and Smith are fine, they just need a star to play with.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Mobley was never coming here as long as Porter was on the roster. Mobley's brother and Porter didn't like each other at USC. It's why he told the organization he wouldn't even come for a workout. Green and Smith are fine, they just need a star to play with.

I don’t think there’s that much of a difference for anyone to say we picked the wrong guys. So I’m fine with our selections. Some of the contract extension are bad and I don’t think stone is a good gm that will build a roster long term.

12 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I don’t think there’s that much of a difference for anyone to say we picked the wrong guys. So I’m fine with our selections. Some of the contract extension are bad and I don’t think stone is a good gm that will build a roster long term.

Taking green is a huge miss.  Mobley is going to be an absolute star. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

48 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

He’s averaging 16/9/3 on 56% shooting and playing all nba level defense as a 21 year old and the most important player on a top 6 or 8 team in the NBA. That’s the profile of a guy that’s going to be an absolute star first team all nba type. 

54 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s averaging 16/9/3 on 56% shooting and playing all nba level defense as a 21 year old and the most important player on a top 6 or 8 team in the NBA. That’s the profile of a guy that’s going to be an absolute star first team all nba type. 

Yeah I know I was talking about your typing error of your post. haha

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Taking green is a huge miss.  Mobley is going to be an absolute star. 

Not ready to give up on Green. He skipped college for the G league and has “trained” with the Rockets team for two years. 

He hasn't been developed since he was a senior in HS, and has been playing glorified AAU ball the last three years. 

Hopefully they find a coach who can put the systems in place to develop talent

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Not ready to give up on Green. He skipped college for the G league and has “trained” with the Rockets team for two years. 

He hasn't been developed since he was a senior in HS, and has been playing glorified AAU ball the last three years. 

Hopefully they find a coach who can put the systems in place to develop talent

All that’s true. And he might be very good. But Mobley is going to be special- thats what I meant by taking Green being a mistake. 

Mobley is special, but I think he turns out to be a better Ayton and not a #1 option on a title team. He’s a little soft right now. 

Rockets were rolling the dice on upside and I agree with their assessment that Green could have a higher ceiling than Mobley in today’s NBA. (Even if never reached). Same reason I would have drafted Chet. Shoot for the moon. 

On 4/16/2023 at 11:08 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Mobley is special, but I think he turns out to be a better Ayton and not a #1 option on a title team. He’s a little soft right now. 

Rockets were rolling the dice on upside and I agree with their assessment that Green could have a higher ceiling than Mobley in today’s NBA. (Even if never reached). Same reason I would have drafted Chet. Shoot for the moon. 

Agree completely on Chet. I’d have done whatever I could to move up and get him. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Sample size of 1 right now not looking awesome for Chet- but he okayed all season at Zaga didn’t he?

You are comparing apples and oranges. This is my big worry about Wembanyama. I am still not over Yao's foot issues, that team was going to win a championship until Yao's foot and McGrady's back both went out.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You are comparing apples and oranges. This is my big worry about Wembanyama. I am still not over Yao's foot issues, that team was going to win a championship until Yao's foot and McGrady's back both went out.

Yeah me too on Wemby. It’s the only reason I would do a Luka for him swap or something like that- my fear he will be out of the league by 26 or 28. 

Not to throw cold water on this, but I don't think Udoka is a slam dunk. He's got only one year experience as a head coach and the assistant who took over for him (who in all honesty doesn't seem that great either) in Boston still won 6 more games than him with essentially the same team in a better conference. 

Also, one of my good friends has hung out with him several times and the minute he got hired in Boston, my friend pounded the under on number of wins for them (and lost btw). He thinks he's a complete spare and couldn't imagine anybody ever respecting or listening to him. And then there's the shit he got fired for, which is a pretty horrible look. 

Nick Nurse would have been a better hire, IMO. But you never know...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Not to throw cold water on this, but I don't think Udoka is a slam dunk. He's got only one year experience as a head coach and the assistant who took over for him (who in all honesty doesn't seem that great either) in Boston still won 6 more games than him with essentially the same team in a better conference. 

Also, one of my good friends has hung out with him several times and the minute he got hired in Boston, my friend pounded the under on number of wins for them (and lost btw). He thinks he's a complete spare and couldn't imagine anybody ever respecting or listening to him. And then there's the shit he got fired for, which is a pretty horrible look. 

Going from Silas to this is like going from playing pong to VR. I’d have preferred Nurse but this is awesome. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Why are you the way that you are?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Jaylen Brown might be a real thing now.

Trade for Brown and sign Harden. Give up the 1st and Porter.

Harden, Green, Brown, Smith, Sengun. That team is making the playoffs, and not the play-in.

Can you elaborate on this trade for Jaylen Brown? You think a single first round pick and a head case that no one wants on their team are going to get him? Or do you think that gets both brown and harden? One is ridiculous and the other is obvious trolling.

14 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Can you elaborate on this trade for Jaylen Brown? You think a single first round pick and a head case that no one wants on their team are going to get him? Or do you think that gets both brown and harden? One is ridiculous and the other is obvious trolling.

Harden is a FA so it will not take anything to get him. The Rockets have enough draft capital to get Brown.

46 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Jaylen Brown might be a real thing now.

Trade for Brown and sign Harden. Give up the 1st and Porter.

Harden, Green, Brown, Smith, Sengun. That team is making the playoffs, and not the play-in.

if the rockets don't get the #1 pick, i'm 100% up for trading whatever pick they end up getting as the centerpiece to a package that lands a star.  

1 hour ago, SilasCoade said:

Inaccurate.

He has a player option for next season.

this is semantical bullshit.  everyone in the world knows he isn't picking up that option.  so if being contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian means that much to you, congrats i suppose.