2023 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Time to Start Thinking About Winning Again

BigOrange1

7 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

this is semantical bullshit.  everyone in the world knows he isn't picking up that option.  so if being contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian means that much to you, congrats i suppose. 

No everyone assumes this. There has not been a single quote from harden to that effect. Maybe it happens. Maybe it doesn't. Even if he declines it I would still expect Philly to offer more than anyone else to keep him.

My style is very upfront, honest and blunt to an extent. I think the players respect that honesty and straightforwardness. I’m a very relatable guy to the players and that’s how I try to build those relationships. They know I’m going to coach them hard

Well, I guess we don't have to worry about Harden coming to Houston, then.  👍🏾

On 4/16/2023 at 8:33 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s averaging 16/9/3 on 56% shooting and playing all nba level defense as a 21 year old and the most important player on a top 6 or 8 team in the NBA. That’s the profile of a guy that’s going to be an absolute star first team all nba type. 

This playoff series was why I'm not worried about missing on Mobley. He’s great, but he’s closer to Ayton than Joel E.

A 3 or at best a 2 on a playoff team. Todays game seems to limit their effectiveness.  

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This playoff series was why I'm not worried about missing on Mobley. He’s great, but he’s closer to Ayton than Joel E.

A 3 or at best a 2 on a playoff team. Todays game seems to limit their effectiveness.  

Maybe you are right. I've loved him since USC.   This series was not awesome but he is a baby. 

Depends on where that pick falls. I get that Brown has some negotiating power, considering he's got 1 more year on his contract and he's a UFA. I just hope we can keep Sengun, Green, Smith, and Eason.

Frankly, I would take Walker over everyone except Wembanyama, with the idea that Harden is coming to be the PG for the next 4+ years.

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So if they miss on Victor, would y’all draft Miller or trade for Jaylen Brown? 

Harden returning seems inevitable. I’m good with it as long as we don’t have to give up anything. A sign and trade to get him more money would deeply piss me off. 

A sign and trade for Harden should be off the table. He will get state income tax breaks plus he can’t put a price tag on proximity to Treasures and Mens Club from the new Rockets practice facility. No reason to lose valuable assets. 

How much would the Celtics get for Brown with one year left? The #2-5 pick (pending ping pong balls), Jalen Green, Jabari Smith, two of those three, all three of those? I’d give up any one of those for Brown, maybe one player plus the pick if it not Top 3. Would they take Green + Porter + Tate for an unhappy Brown? 

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Depends on where that pick falls. I get that Brown has some negotiating power, considering he's got 1 more year on his contract and he's a UFA. I just hope we can keep Sengun, Green, Smith, and Eason.

Frankly, I would take Walker over everyone except Wembanyama, with the idea that Harden is coming to be the PG for the next 4+ years.

Another 6’8’’ power forward, how many of those do we need? Shades of Morey. 

I’m probably leaning trading for Brown if we miss on Victor. My concern is Boston’s front office really has their shit together and they’ll fing fleece Stone. 

27 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A sign and trade for Harden should be off the table. He will get state income tax breaks plus he can’t put a price tag on proximity to Treasures and Mens Club from the new Rockets practice facility. No reason to lose valuable assets. 

How much would the Celtics get for Brown with one year left? The #2-5 pick (pending ping pong balls), Jalen Green, Jabari Smith, two of those three, all three of those? I’d give up any one of those for Brown, maybe one player plus the pick if it not Top 3. Would they take Green + Porter + Tate for an unhappy Brown? 

I wouldn't give up anything without a contract extension

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Another 6’8’’ power forward, how many of those do we need? Shades of Morey. 

I’m probably leaning trading for Brown if we miss on Victor. My concern is Boston’s front office really has their shit together and they’ll fing fleece Stone. 

Walker is a switchable player that can guard 3-5. He's a taller, more athletic, more polished offensively PJ Tucker. I hear you about going for Brown if it isn't #1, and I agree. I just don't want another 6'5 or under guard that can't shoot or play defense. The Rockets have a shit load of those guys, and Miller I just don't trust his mental makeup. I know what I am getting in Walker based on his freshmen year and playing for a defensive coach in Sampson. 

So… re-retiring Harden’s jersey at Treasures late Sunday night?

Welcome back Beard (?!). 

I’m good with with it as long it’s 3 years, and we don’t give Tucker $20 million a year. 

Tilman will probably be at Treasures with them, so after thousands of titty face slaps, Harden super max and max years+ Tucker 2 years, $60 million. Book it.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I like Cam Johnson if we get Scoot or Victor. Jaylen Brown is going to be expensive if we have to give up assets and pay him the super max. Harden plus another veteran point guard would make for a solid team. 

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I think Harden knows Houston is a sucker who would over pay like 4 years and 180. I think he would play half a season and then come out in a fat suit and make Houston trade him and his big contract.

Or go Operation Shutdown and treat basketball as a casual side hustle while his main pursuit was dat ass. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Welp, here comes Harden. Things could be worse. Imagine if the Rockets hired Cassell. 

If they win the lotto and add 2 more legit rotation players in addition to Harden that’s a potential 3 seed now and a team that could contend for a title in 3-5 years after Harden ages out if Green and Sengun and Smith develop and Wemby is healthy. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If they win the lotto and add 2 more legit rotation players in addition to Harden that’s a potential 3 seed now and a team that could contend for a title in 3-5 years after Harden ages out if Green and Sengun and Smith develop and Wemby is healthy. 

You make it sound like I have chance of building a time machine and hooking up a threesome in 1998 with Liv Tyler and Heather Graham.

29 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Welp, here comes Harden. Things could be worse. Imagine if the Rockets hired Cassell. 

If they win the lotto and add 2 more legit rotation players… maybe something like Seth curry and a Plumlee brother or two. 
cut bait with everyone else. 

1 minute ago, SilasCoade said:

You make it sound like I have chance of building a time machine and hooking up a threesome in 1998 with Liv Tyler and Heather Graham.

They’ve got something like 70M to spend. harden costs 50 and you can get the other two rotation guys pretty easily for the rest. Then it becomes about luck in the lotto and development. 

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Harden with the disappearing act again in Game 7, but the Sixers just didn't play well, and Tatum, well played better than everyone. 

I'm pretty resigned to the inevitable. Making the playoffs sure beats being in the bottom 3 of the NBA. 

OKC owns Houston's '24 first rounder. With $70M in cap space and a willing FA in Harden there is no more incentive to tank. 

42 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jesus. What a shitty free agent class. A top 3 of Harden, Flat Earther, and Van Fleet. 

I guess get Harden his money, but keep the years as low as possible. 

If I can get Flat Earth on a "sweatergawd I'll play every game I can," then I'm all for it. 

Dude is a real hooper. He could teach these guys about the mentality of winning. 

Kyrie and Sengun would be crazy. 

If I can get Flat Earth on a "sweatergawd I'll play every game I can," then I'm all for it. 
Dude is a real hooper. He could teach these guys about the mentality of winning. 
Kyrie and Sengun would be crazy. 

What? He hasn’t done shit with “winning”

2018: Got injured
2019: Second-round loss to Bucks in 5
2020: Got injured
2021: Got injured, second-round loss to Bucks in 7
2022: Got swept in first-round by Celtics
2023: no playoffs

3 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

What? He hasn’t done shit with “winning”

2018: Got injured
2019: Second-round loss to Bucks in 5
2020: Got injured
2021: Got injured, second-round loss to Bucks in 7
2022: Got swept in first-round by Celtics
2023: no playoffs

I'm not talking about his team. Dude knows how to win games, but you can actually see him check out. I'm not sure James knows how to win and you can actually see him check out.

That's the difference I'm speaking of. 

If it's one or the other, i want the guy who has done it. I think Kyrie and Harden are equally skilled. I don't want either of them. 

52 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I'm not talking about his team. Dude knows how to win games, but you can actually see him check out. I'm not sure James knows how to win and you can actually see him check out.

That's the difference I'm speaking of. 

If it's one or the other, i want the guy who has done it. I think Kyrie and Harden are equally skilled. I don't want either of them. 

He did a great job in Dallas 

I’m a no go a on an aging Retread like harden. But I’m bracing for a horrific contract for a guy that’s gonna come in and score 45 every 5th game and some on here will blow their load over it. I’m hoping we get lucky and get the number 1 pick.

Just because you have 70 mil to use doesn’t mean you have to give 50 of it to a guy like harden. 

To the htownhorn’s of the world who want to bring back Harden because there probably isn’t a better player to sign and they were a super star with reasons they could still produce in Houston; see: Jose Abreu.

Will signing Harden result in more wins? Yes. Will signing Harden result in playoffs? Maybe. Championship contention? No way. Improve the play and development of Green, Sengun, Smith, and 2023 pick? Probably not. Signing Harden is a lot more likely to blow up than turn out with a happy ending (for anyone but James in a dimly lit corner booth).

• Like 2