2023 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Time to Start Thinking About Winning Again

BigOrange1

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Tank is back on for 2024 imo. Go for a top 2 pick next year

You can play that game, but if the pick doesn’t win the lottery of top 4, it conveys to OKC and the ‘23-24 tank was naught. 

This was a mother fuck. Someone go piss on David Stern’s grave. 

Future Rockets First Round Picks

2024: Brooklyn’s pick

(Houston’s own only if top 4, otherwise goes to OKC)

2025: OKC can swap with Houston, then Houston can swap with Brooklyn 

2026: Brooklyn’s pick

(Houston’s own only if top 4, otherwise goes to OKC)

2027: Houston can swap with Brooklyn 

IN CONCLUSION: Brooklyn must suck or we are fucked.

image.gif.4c3e2daab3b87ecf4c39bc26adee7cc3.gif

Also, let us thank @HtownHorn’s hero James Harden for demanding Westbrook and forking all these picks and swaps to OKC. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

We have a ton of assets(young players and future picks) we can use in trades if we go all in on upgrading the roster over the summer.

after another year of bullshit lottery shit luck I say fuck the tank process and get aggressive and try and trade for a couple of stars and use a few young guys and future picks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

So maybe put a hold on that "thinking about winning again" thing for a year? Yeah?

Only if we can trade this pick to a team that will be shitty next year for lots of picks.  Maybe to Chicago, Washington and Toronto for their first this year and next year, another second or two and a solid rotation guy.   Have to hope someone is in love with Thompsons.  

We can’t tank on a roughly 50/50 shot we get what Pistons got tonight and lose pick.  Let the market dictate for Harden and bring him in on a short term deal for under $40m. Anything more than 3 years or $40m year and pass.  

If we think Scoot is the guy at point guard, then we need to trade up to get him. Portland and Charlotte both have good point guards, though whether Portland keeps Lillard is a total unknown. I'd think #4, #20, Martin, and maybe Tate would get it done. I'm also fine with Amen Thompson at 4. I hate the idea of doing an S&T for Harden using one or both picks or something similar for Lillard. 

I bet clutchfans is melting down.  

I guess there’s some karmic justice in a well run org like the Spurs winning the lottery and the hapless Rockets relegated to perpetual mediocrity.  At least we’re skipping the handwringing to come if Wemby’s feet don’t hold up.  

• Like 1

I bet clutchfans is melting down.  

I guess there’s some karmic justice in a well run org like the Spurs winning the lottery and the hapless Rockets relegated to perpetual mediocrity.  At least we’re skipping the handwringing to come if Wemby’s feet don’t hold up.  
Because he got drafted by those lucky bastards, he will probably 75 games a year for 10 years straight.

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Impossible.  League wouldn’t or couldn’t do that. 

There were 30 people watching the balls come out of the machine an hour before the announcement. It's an actual lottery, they just don't televise that part. However, I think the NBA is really missing out on an incredible 30 minutes of TV by NOT showing this part. How awesome would it be if they break down the odds as each ball comes out? 

BEHIND THE SCENES: ESPN.com’s Zach Lowe notes back in the drawing room, the “first ping pong ball came up: No. 14.” Seeing 14 as the first ball “had the whole room in play for Wembanyama for a fleeting 10-second window.” After the 14, “up popped the next ball: 5” and “almost everyone was still in play.” Lowe described the mood as “frantic.” Ten seconds later, the third ball: No. 8 and “several teams were still alive.” Wizards Assistant GM Brett Greenberg “knew instantly the Wizards had a chance.” Out of the eleven balls left at the time, “six were winners for Washington.” Greenberg “thought to himself, ‘Holy s---, we have a chance.’” Then the final ball, No. 2, “disqualified most teams,” but Wright “wasn't sure if the Spurs owned the winning combination.” A league official announced that it was indeed the Spurs and Wright “barely reacted.” He “stayed silent and gazed downward until Allen reached over to shake his hand.” Pelicans Assistant GM Bryson Graham joked “Brian was way too calm. I mean, come on!” The drawing was “largely anticlimactic after that,” with the Hornets, Trail Blazers and Rockets “claiming picks No. 2-4 in that order.” After the drawing, everyone “stays in the room for about an hour until the televised reveal is over.” No one is “allowed to leave.” Everyone in the room “surrenders their phones, tablets, laptops and smart watches upon entering so that no one can communicate the results to the outside world” 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/05/17/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/nba-draft-lottery-reax.aspx

42 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

There were 30 people watching the balls come out of the machine an hour before the announcement. It's an actual lottery, they just don't televise that part. However, I think the NBA is really missing out on an incredible 30 minutes of TV by NOT showing this part. How awesome would it be if they break down the odds as each ball comes out? 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/05/17/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/nba-draft-lottery-reax.aspx

Jerry Seinfeld Agree GIF

Victor has missed playing time in every pro season he has participated in, so the injury concern is real. It's a little sour grapes on our part, but having seen the Yao show up close, I wanted no part of it again.

The last few drafts have been Zion, Wiseman, Cunningham, Holmgren.

So, for those scoring at home, 1st pick, 2nd pick, 1st pick, 2nd pick, 1st pick???

Those 4 have combined to play in 33% of their teams' games.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Will the Rockets really be willing to sign Harden to a long-term deal ??

Fuck yes. You don't turn down star players when they can still play. This would be the most individually talented team he ever played with in Houston, he will get the Rockets back into the playoffs.

Whitmore is growing on me at #4. If you can't trade for Mikal Bridges, go draft the next Mikal Bridges.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched a video of Amen Thompson and that busted ass jump shot is unfixable. Like he would get clowned at Gregory for shooting like that. Worse than Ben Simmons.

Grady Dick at #4 seems high, but feels like he is exactly what Houston needs. Sharpshooting wing.