2023 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Time to Start Thinking About Winning Again

BigOrange1

I'd also welcome back Schroder if he wanted to cash out on another multi-year deal. He'd be a great guard off the bench. He'd be the perfect 3rd guard playing alongside either Green or Harden.

Also, like Sasser at 20 for that role as well.

Edited by HtownHorn

Going to be interesting to see what they do with the other $20M+ and if they can get rid of the Porter and Tate contracts and replace them with guys that have good basketball IQs. I'd call up the Bulls and see what it takes to get DeRozan.

Edited by HtownHorn

i like the idea of keeping porter and playing him off ball.  40% on catch and shoot 3's is nothing to sneeze at.

i'd also see if toronto is interested in a package centered around the #4 pick and someone like eason for siakam.

harden, green, smith, siakam, sengun as the starting 5 with kpj and some low to mid level free agents rounding out the rotation should, at worst, be in the play-in tournament next season.

Signing Harden would be a huge mistake. Hopefully most of this smoke is coming from his camp. I can't imagine Udoka actually wants to add him as a major piece. 

This franchise needs a clean restart. Keep this young nucleus together for a year and see what Ime can get out of them. Then make some major moves if necessary in 2024. 

• Like 1

Supposedly Sullivan is really good at teaching you how to shoot. He is the best guy for the Rockets considering most of our guys can't shoot worth a shit.

Lots of rumors surrounding #4.

The names I have read are Cameron Johnson from Brooklyn and Myles Turner from Indiana, both would be part of bigger packages, but those two would be the headliners of each deal respectively.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Do you have sources?  Because that reads like Kelly Iko’s “let’s talk trade scenarios with other beat writers” in the Athletic and those deals all sounded terrible if you’re a Rockets fan.  

They were Athletic stories. Cameron Johnson would be an excellent addition.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd give up 4 and filler like tate for zion, but not much more due to the injury history.  would not include anymore first round picks than #4 this year though and would not include any of green, jabari, sengun, kpj, or eason.  

there are guys out there i'd include some of those guys/future picks for - but not zion right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

would you guys trade #4 to okc for #12 and our 2024 and 2026 picks back?

Yes. The difference between the guy at 4 and 12 isn’t that great in this years draft — and having back 2024 means you don’t have to force trying to win and could avoid the upcoming Harden disaster.

8 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Yes. The difference between the guy at 4 and 12 isn’t that great in this years draft — and having back 2024 means you don’t have to force trying to win and could avoid the upcoming Harden disaster.

Losing hasn't done shit for this organization. It's fucking moronic to keep doing something that hasn't fucking worked one iota.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Giving harden 3/150 or 4/200 isn’t going to win either, and will sink the team for the next 10 years. Next years FA class is much better. You give it a go with a hard nosed coach who is going to demand improvement (and maybe a few vets for culture - not taking the young guys to treasures every night).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

would you guys trade #4 to okc for #12 and our 2024 and 2026 picks back?

If the Rockets plan to draft either of the Thompson twins, then yes please unload the #4 pick. Those dudes feel more busty than Dolly Parton. Why does every mock draft give them a pass for both having broken shots and shooting like 24% from the field and something shitty for free throws? They are guards, not 7’ centers  

On 6/14/2023 at 8:13 AM, HtownHorn said:

If the Pelicans make Zion available, what would the Rockets have to give up to get him? I think I would be willing to give up #4 and some of the Nets picks. Hopefully, not having to include Smtih, Green, Sengun, or Eason.

Allegedly New Orleans offered Zion + #14 to Charlotte for #2 and Charlotte laughed at them. Why would you want a guy who plays maybe half the time and wants a max contract?

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If the Rockets plan to draft either of the Thompson twins, then yes please unload the #4 pick. Those dudes feel more busty than Dolly Parton. Why does every mock draft give them a pass for both having broken shots and shooting like 24% from the field and something shitty for free throws? They are guards, not 7’ centers  

Allegedly New Orleans offered Zion + #14 to Charlotte for #2 and Charlotte laughed at them. Why would you want a guy who plays maybe half the time and wants a max contract?

What would it cost to move up for Scoot?

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What would it cost to move up for Scoot?

image.gif.72f5ea1bf5b810f60a2d51854140e602.gif

Scoot and Miller are much higher rated than the next cluster, nobody gives a shit about #4 (except allegedly Orlando targeting someone and wanting to move up from #6…if they offered 6 and 11 for 4 that should be a slam dunk).

The Rockets moving up from #4 to #2 would probably require throwing in Jalen or Jabari and not worth it. If Charlotte was dumb enough to swap for KJ Martin, Tate, Porter Jr. or any combination of our spares then hell yeah!

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

image.gif.72f5ea1bf5b810f60a2d51854140e602.gif

Scoot and Miller are much higher rated than the next cluster, nobody gives a shit about #4 (except allegedly Orlando targeting someone and wanting to move up from #6…if they offered 6 and 11 for 4 that should be a slam dunk).

The Rockets moving up from #4 to #2 would probably require throwing in Jalen or Jabari and not worth it. If Charlotte was dumb enough to swap for KJ Martin, Tate, Porter Jr. or any combination of our spares then hell yeah!

i'd do 4 and 20 for 6 and 11 in a heartbeat.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/16/2023 at 9:04 PM, HtownHorn said:

Losing hasn't done shit for this organization. It's fucking moronic to keep doing something that hasn't fucking worked one iota.

Guess it depends what your definition of worked is.  

It's been 3 seasons...still too soon to know if tanking worked.

Being able to draft young talent like Green, Smith, Eason et al was made possible by losing.

Now they've hired a real coach...also brought on by losing.

All that being said, if there isn't a marked improvement this year, whatever benchmark that is, then we can say losing/tanking didn't work. 

Realistically, what does a "successful" 23-24 season look like? 

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Guess it depends what your definition of worked is.  

It's been 3 seasons...still too soon to know if tanking worked.

Being able to draft young talent like Green, Smith, Eason et al was made possible by losing.

Now they've hired a real coach...also brought on by losing.

All that being said, if there isn't a marked improvement this year, whatever benchmark that is, then we can say losing/tanking didn't work. 

Realistically, what does a "successful" 23-24 season look like? 

The whole idea of losing was to acquire at least one #1 pick. It has been a disaster.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

so it's looking like we're going to get amen thompson and harden isn't coming back.  offseason is not off to a great start and finishing with a top 5 worst record again next year is once again in play.

Amen Thompson will become the next Ben Simmons. They should trade the pick either for an established player, or back into the draft a take a guy that can shoot the ball like Gradey Dick. Just don't understand the desire to add a player that cannot shoot the ball to a team that cannot shoot the ball. If we want a PG, go get the kid from Penn State.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i can't imagine the rockets have anything the mavs would want enough to drop down 10 spots (no way something like tate/kj martin is enough, right?), but sign me the fuck up so long as the only pick involved is #20 this year.

Mavs need the cap space, likely for future draft assets. If we did make that trade, Lively would be a great fit at that spot as well.

Edited by HtownHorn

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The whole idea of losing was to acquire at least one #1 pick. It has been a disaster.

So only #1 picks move you toward winning?

That's silly.

The whole idea of losing is to get young, talented players.  We did that.

Now the front office needs to bring in the right vets and some defenders to take the next step, but they're heading in the right direction.

According to Mark Stein, the Clippers are reportedly shopping Paul George. Looking at Portland and Houston for their #3 or #4 picks respectively.

I'd be inclined to say yes, if they would take back Tate and Porter as part of the deal. Udoka is going to want some vets, and I guess that would be a good place to start. If we then move up to 10 and get Dick, that would be a great start. We'd need a veteran PG, but should be able to find one.

George is still a very good 2-way wing, the problem with him is health.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

That's not a bad proposal for Portland. No one is taking Dame's contract off their hands so they're stuck trying to create a contender around his shrinking window. PG fits that much more than a talented 18-19 year old would. If they could get the Clippers to swap this year or throw in a future first Blazers basically have to say yes.