Texas vs Texas State Midweek Thread

Horny Bull

Minchey and Grubbs both appear to have a little something on the mound. This incoming recruiting class also has several really talented arms that should make impacts right away (excluding Sykora because he ain't stepping foot on campus). The previous few classes have just been lacking in numbers and talent, to be honest.

We need to get some horses on the mound heading into the SEC and I think we are trending in the right direction there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Chris Stuart has a Jake Diekman like delivery where his fastball just explodes. Everything is there to be nasty out of the bullpen. Just has to work on the command. 13 walks in 13 innings ain't going to cut it, 16 Ks and a .188 avg against will though.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

20-3 over the last 23 games is not bad. 

8 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

I mean, what’s a baseball season without writing the team off in the 1st week of play?

The first week? @GreenspointTexas called for Pierce’s firing the very first loss after our 16 game winning streak ended.he is beyond disgusted with 20-3 in our last 23 games and 12th in the country.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not bad for a team many said was headed for .500.

I thought we would struggle to make .500 I the league.  That was before Powell sort of came out of nowhere and proved he could field the position (always knew he could hit), before Pierce moved Morehouse to closer*, and before it was apparent that the Big12 is not that great.  We have half our conference schedule left, so there’s a lot of work to do, but it’s looking promising.  We still have a major vulnerability on the base paths - can’t throw anybody out.  WVU series should be interesting. 

*Despite the white knuckle outings and blown saves, I still think it’s the best option and has been a net plus.  No, he is not the ideal closer.  He has the best stuff on the team and the right mentality.  The only other option I can see working might be Burke.  

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No. Believe he is 0 for 15 or 16. Something around there.

When you catch with one knee on the ground (with runners on), or if you get a throw off but land up beaning the pitcher in the back is never a good recipe for success. 

While some of it is on our pitchers and their slow delivery, I think someone finally has pointed out to get his GD knee off the ground (noticed that he was in the proper crouch last night) but he still needs work with his throws. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

When you catch with one knee on the ground (with runners on), or if you get a throw off but land up beaning the pitcher in the back is never a good recipe for success. 

While some of it is on our pitchers and their slow delivery, I think someone finally has pointed out to get his GD knee off the ground (noticed that he was in the proper crouch last night) but he still needs work with his throws. 

Was listening to a radio interview with a MLB catcher last week and he said that 5 years ago no one did the one-knee thing and you would get weird looks if you did it, and now 90% of catchers do it. He said the #1 priority now for a catcher at all levels high school and above is pitch framing and receiving the one-knee setup is a big part of that. Mentioned that it is easier to block pitches in that setup. He also said it allows for a quicker transfer into the throwing position depending on where the pitch is located.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Mentioned that it is easier to block pitches in that setup. He also said it allows for a quicker transfer into the throwing position depending on where the pitch is located.

You must not have watched the OSU game with Galvan catching. He did neither of the above.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I'm not usually shocked by much, but that was a true WTF moment.

4 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

You must not have watched the OSU game with Galvan catching. He did neither of the above.

Obviously. He is a work in progress defensively. Takes time. I know Rupp has been working a lot with him.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Are we sure he’s a catcher and not a 1b?

15 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Imagine someone tells you before the game that 7.2 innings tonight would be thrown by Kobe Minchey, Heston Tole and Chris Stuart, and only 2 runs were allowed.

And none of them allowed those 2 runs.

21 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's Duplantier. 

For the love of Allah, please no.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Shouldn’t be. Should be back tonight.

I thought I read (maybe in this thread) that it was a 1-game suspension, and if it happens again, it would be a 3-game suspension. I remember Tech being without one of their pitchers for our series because of that. 

7 minutes ago, hornian said:

I thought I read (maybe in this thread) that it was a 1-game suspension, and if it happens again, it would be a 3-game suspension. I remember Tech being without one of their pitchers for our series because of that. 

The Tech pitcher got 4 games because his ejection involved yelling at the opposing team after warnings had already been issued to both teams. I guess there is a rule that states a 4 game suspension is automatic in that case.

16 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, we're thinking it's just a 1-game suspension for Kennedy?

16 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Probably just 1 game

By rule, the suspension for being ejected for arguing an ump's call for a non-pitcher player is 1 game for the first ejection and 3 games for subsequent ejections during the same season.  For pitchers, the suspension is 4 games.

18 minutes ago, Cajun said:

It won’t be.  Guaranteed.  You won’t ever see him on the mound for Texas again.  

Just trust me on this.

Ok but why all the weird misdirection and secrecy? He could have just said last year he was leaving the program, we all would have understood.