Texas vs Texas State Midweek Thread

Horny Bull

We looked flat as pancake and as about as exciting.  I think we are all looking forward to Witt rejoining the pitching rotation in the near future.  Speaking of looking forward, thus far Baylor's overall record is a dismal 12-21.  We should get back on track there.  Abilene Christian may prove to be pesky after that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit. Some of y'all need to have some fucking perspective.

• Fifth game in five days
  • Other than Lummus (1.0, 2 SO, no runs), Texas threw no above average arms
  • Texas had nine hits, but there were no connected streaks of OB/hitting that provided real damage
  • This shit happens in college baseball to good teams in midweek games often enough across the board
  • Oh, and Texas State is actually a decent team

Also, I said this last week and I'm going to double down. Pierce's teams at Texas struggle offensively and have a tendency to sometimes make opposing pitcher look better than they are. And, even last year, a historic season on offense, Texas largely could not hit the best arms they faced. You saw it against UCLA, USCe, OSU, OU in Arlington, and ND and A&M in the CWS. Bottom line: when the pitching isn't there, this team is going to struggle.

FYI, this isn't aimed at any of the entrenched baseball thread folks. There are a lot of whiny bitches who decided to show up recently.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Which one of you got in a scuffle in R2 with a Texas State fan and both got thrown out?

Sorry for partying…
That is a friend of mine (well, we’ve sat across the aisle from each other for about the last 3-4 yrs.

Hopefully the TxSt dad went to jail. He attack they guy I know and was literally choking him before myself and others went there to break it up. But not before an old Wild Bunch dude clobbered him over the head with his scoring clipboard. As usual, UTPD was fucking worthless.

20 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

We looked flat as pancake and as about as exciting.

It was a 2-2 game in the 5th inning or whatever until the pitching fell apart. Is any team going to look excited as they chase balls in the gap in the OF and face a closer in the 6th inning on a Tuesday as the other teams tries to win their Super Bowl?

Sometimes you get beat. It doesn't have anything to do with being 'flat' or 'not wanting to be there' or 'having no heart'. The other team played better, executed when they needed to and beat you. That happens a time or 15 over the course of a 56 game season.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Sorry for partying…
That is a friend of mine (well, we’ve sat across the aisle from each other for about the last 3-4 yrs.

Hopefully the TxSt dad went to jail. He attack they guy I know and was literally choking him before myself and others went there to break it up. But not before an old Wild Bunch dude clobbered him over the head with his scoring clipboard. As usual, UTPD was fucking worthless.

Haha I knew someone knew something. That’s pretty much what I saw but not what started it all.

43 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

We looked flat as pancake and as about as exciting.  I think we are all looking forward to Witt rejoining the pitching rotation in the near future.  Speaking of looking forward, thus far Baylor's overall record is a dismal 12-21.  We should get back on track there.  Abilene Christian may prove to be pesky after that.  

Tanner Witt is the wild card that could change the ceiling for this team. If he is able to come back and give you an inning every other night at the level he pitched at before he got hurt, the staff will start to take shape.

Going into the Big 12 tournament, I would personally like to see a rotation of Gordon, LBJ, Hurly. Back end of the bullpen consisting of Witt, Shaw, Burke, and Morehouse. Tole/Sthele can be inning eaters and then hopefully one if not both of Lummus/Stuart can get to where they are valuable lefties out of the pen

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Tanner Witt is the wild card that could change the ceiling for this team. If he is able to come back and give you an inning every other night at the level he pitched at before he got hurt, the staff will start to take shape.

Going into the Big 12 tournament, I would personally like to see a rotation of Gordon, LBJ, Hurly. Back end of the bullpen consisting of Witt, Shaw, Burke, and Morehouse. Tole/Sthele can be inning eaters and then hopefully one if not both of Lummus/Stuart can get to where they are valuable lefties out of the pen

I just can’t trust LBJ to be a starter if he doesn’t have his secondary pitches working (which he hasn’t in several outings now). He has great stuff and throws really hard, but college hitters can hit 96 if they know it’s coming. He’s walked 13 in 15 innings since we gave him his first weekend start against New Orleans.

His slider and splitter just haven’t been there. LSU LBJ appears to be the outlier and not the norm right now. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a useful piece on this staff, but it’s tough to trust him to go through a lineup multiple times with one pitch working. As a bunch of us discussed last week, the best option might be piggybacking him and Sthele in some way. But I am out on LBJ as a traditional starter for the time being until I see him find his breaking pitches consistently.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I just can’t trust LBJ to be a starter if he doesn’t have his secondary pitches working (which he hasn’t in several outings now). He has great stuff and throws really hard, but college hitters can hit 96 if they know it’s coming.

His slider and splitter just haven’t been there. LSU LBJ appears to be the outlier and not the norm right now. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a useful piece on this staff, but it’s tough to trust him to go through a lineup multiple times with one pitch working. As a bunch of us discussed last week, the best option might be piggybacking him and Sthele in some way. But I am out on LBJ as a traditional starter for the time being until I see him find his breaking pitches consistently.

He performs better as a starter as opposed to coming out of the pen. As a starter you can settle in and work through some bumps, no room for error when you are coming out of the bullpen. Swing and miss stuff is what plays when you get deep into the tournament and play better competition and that’s what LBJ has. I don’t think anyone has confidence in Sthele to go out and mow down an LSU, South Carolina, etc… It’s why a guy like Witt had to bail out Stevens against Tennessee in 2021.

If you are banking on a sinker baller that pitches to contact to go out and beat a good lineup, that is not likely going to end well once you get deeper into the tournament. Just my opinion though, not saying I have supreme confidence in LBJ to do it consistently, but he can is my point and some guys need the structure of knowing when they are going to pitch and the routine of that.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Holy shit. Some of y'all need to have some fucking perspective.

• Fifth game in five days
  • Other than Lummus (1.0, 2 SO, no runs), Texas threw no above average arms
  • Texas had nine hits, but there were no connected streaks of OB/hitting that provided real damage
  • This shit happens in college baseball to good teams in midweek games often enough across the board
  • Oh, and Texas State is actually a decent team

Also, I said this last week and I'm going to double down. Pierce's teams at Texas struggle offensively and have a tendency to sometimes make opposing pitcher look better than they are. And, even last year, a historic season on offense, Texas largely could not hit the best arms they faced. You saw it against UCLA, USCe, OSU, OU in Arlington, and ND and A&M in the CWS. Bottom line: when the pitching isn't there, this team is going to struggle.

FYI, this isn't aimed at any of the entrenched baseball thread folks. There are a lot of whiny bitches who decided to show up recently.

Pretty much this. We were bound to run out of arms at some point during this stretch. Better to split with TXST than use up arms and run our during our in-conference weekend series. 

13 hours ago, chase25 said:

He performs better as a starter as opposed to coming out of the pen. As a starter you can settle in and work through some bumps, no room for error when you are coming out of the bullpen. Swing and miss stuff is what plays when you get deep into the tournament and play better competition and that’s what LBJ has. I don’t think anyone has confidence in Sthele to go out and mow down an LSU, South Carolina, etc… It’s why a guy like Witt had to bail out Stevens against Tennessee in 2021.

If you are banking on a sinker baller that pitches to contact to go out and beat a good lineup, that is not likely going to end well once you get deeper into the tournament. Just my opinion though, not saying I have supreme confidence in LBJ to do it consistently, but he can is my point and some guys need the structure of knowing when they are going to pitch and the routine of that.

That's all fair, but Hurley is a sinkerballer who pitches to contact and you mentioned wanting him in the rotation.

It's tough for me to trust LBJ to go more than a few innings right now. He's combined for 8 wild pitches in his 4 starts since LSU, the walks are up and he's not missing as many bats. His strikeouts per 9 innings is actually right in line with Sthele's (10.09 for LBJ vs 9.8 for Sthele).

LBJ is far and away the better pitcher when his stuff is on, but at this point his stuff has been on in about 2-3 appearances and has been average every other outing.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

That's all fair, but Hurley is a sinkerballer who pitches to contact and you mentioned wanting him in the rotation.

It's tough for me to trust LBJ to go more than a few innings right now. He's combined for 8 wild pitches in his 4 starts since LSU, the walks are up and he's not missing as many bats. His strikeouts per 9 innings is actually right in line with Sthele's (10.09 for LBJ vs 9.8 for Sthele).

LBJ is far and away the better pitcher when his stuff is on, but at this point his stuff has been on in about 2-3 appearances and has been average every other outing.

Travis throws a sinker/changeup and has an average slider that he throws in occasionally. He has two good starts this year, Indiana and New Orleans. Charlie has a slider/curveball to go with the sinker. Which is a big reason why he’s given up 26 hits in 37 innings to Sthele’s 42 hits in 36.2 innings. Sthele is Tristan Stevens and it works over the course of a season but it’s not going to cut it once you get into the tournament.

At this point I wouldn’t say Texas has a reliable 2nd starter or even 3rd starter but most programs don’t have a 3rd and given what they’ve shown coupled with the pitch repertoire, I’d lean LBJ and Hurly as opposed to the current Sthele and revolving door on Sunday. 

Ty Madden had similar issues as LBJ in 2019 and sometimes you just have to give the kid the ball and show him you have confidence in him as opposed to one week he’s starting on Sunday. Then the next he’s throwing 2 innings of relief on Friday and 2 innings of relief on Sunday.