2023 Property tax values are out

WithoutAClue

Oh what a fucking surprise.  Low tax; low regulatory promises didn’t deliver for the fucking 17th year in a row.  Big shock, we’re up.  I mean at this point, I almost respect the lying bullshit grift from a man in a Lane Bryant pants suit.  Tell me again about our massive rainy day fund.  Meanwhile we’re co-hosting a fundraiser for my daughter’s elementary school to get properly working bathroom plumbing.   Fucking morons. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I don't get it, my appraisal went down, but my tax value they want to increase is the max at 10%.

...anyone have good contacts of someone that will fight this? I tried fighting it last year but the online form was confusing and then they scheduled a meeting date for a time I was unavailable and I couldn't change it. I would prefer not to do another 10% increase this year.

3 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

I don't get it, my appraisal went down, but my tax value they want to increase is the max at 10%.

...anyone have good contacts of someone that will fight this? I tried fighting it last year but the online form was confusing and then they scheduled a meeting date for a time I was unavailable and I couldn't change it. I would prefer not to do another 10% increase this year.

likely got capped on prior year increases so just catching up.. might have more to come

5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

^^ Yep. That's definitely what happened. And it's what I was referring to in my post above. My assessed value could stay exactly the same, and I'll still be paying 10% more every year for the next decade+

That would mean your value had more than doubled. That’s something to be happy about. 

• Haha 2

Oh wait, I don't have to pay state income tax.  Yey...

JFC, my school district and local EMS services are literally falling apart...but my "low tax" state just stuck it's fist up my ass and told me we were conservative.  

It's impossible we're this fucking stupid.

• Rage+1 1

Here's what I don't understand: all these misinformed folks who moved to Texas over the last few years mistakenly thinking that taxes are low, and not realizing that low taxes here only apply to the very wealthy while the rest pay more than most states, are still here.   Take the hint and GTFO, please.  I want to stay home and have affordable housing for my children should they choose to stick around, thank you very much.  Instead, the next generation will be getting the hell out of Texas (brain drain is already in full effect but it will get worse as affordability becomes even more of a joke).

All I hear from the transplants are complaints in the form of "Texas needs an income tax!".  Yeah, that'll solve the problem.  Those property taxes would immediately plummet I'm sure.  

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Are the county websites no longer providing the actual taxes each entity is assessing? Hays Co. not providing that info, as far as I can tell? Trying to help out the folks.

Entities don't set the tax rate until they know the tax base (when appraisals are done). Which is why everyone went insane at the 40% market value jumps last year, only to quietly shrug at the actual change in taxes. Except for those dudes about to reply to me....

I wouldn't say everyone went insane.  It was just an abrupt pill to swallow when my taxes jumped up $8,000 in a single year and I only had a few months to scramble the cash together.  And my valuation is once again up, and actually over the private sector valuation I had done recently.  This is fucking fun.  Low taxes, predictable regulatory environment, no?  Unless I hit it big on some GP deal this year, I'll be paying well over 10% of my income to property taxes in a state with "no income tax."  And my school district is in fucking shambles.  Fuck our spineless leadership.  Feckless cunts, all.  I'm tired of having to carry the burden for rural fuckstick dumbfuck Texas.  90% of us live in urban or suburban areas, let's fucking act like it.  It's not all ranches and cowboys anymore.  But we have to pretend like it is so they don't feel left behind.  Fuck 'em.  Oh god, what if people find out how much of their tax bill goes to Medicaid?  Fucking morons.

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fort Bend went deep and the dildo of consequence arrived unlubed.  Motherfucker.  I would sell in a fucking heartbeat for what they are telling me it's worth. 

23 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And my school district is in fucking shambles.

I figured you for a private school guy. +rep for helping with the public you're assigned. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I figured you for a private school guy. +rep for helping with the public you're assigned. 

I wish.  I can't swing my property tax bill and private school tuition.  Thankfully, it's a great district because of the teachers & Staff.  But the attrition is insane due to cost of living and crazy-ass parents.  I'm a complete asshole on here, but in real life, I actually do give a shit about the people that need helping.  I've served on our strategic planning committee, bond committee, I do crossing guard duty once a week, clean up the campus once every 9-week period, all the carnivals and field days---as I suspect many of you dads do. 

The one thing I'm super proud of though is something I hope will be replicated around the state.  Teachers shouldn't have to drive a fucking hour to get to their campus.  We all grew up in neighborhoods where the teachers and coaches lived around us and were a part of our community, not just our classroom.  But our district is too expensive for most of our teachers & staff.  And there's no room to put any more multi-family product.  So I spent two years negotiating with multi-family owners around the area to give over a few units in each complex to our non-profit foundation to master-lease at 30% below FMV.  We then match teachers either based on tenure or recruiting to units (1 or 2 BR based on family size), they get at least a marked discount off of rent and get to live within 20 minutes of their campus and become a part of the community instead of coming in from Seguin or Belton or Elgin.  They're happier and more rested when first bell happens.  We are going to use this beta test to then justify the last strip of land the district owns out near Bee Cave to develop an 80-100 unit multi-family complex for teachers and staff, perhaps leaving 20 units to rent at/above FMV to offset costs.  While my property taxes are being thrown at buying hotels that no homeless people want to live in, I'm actually getting some shit done for people who need help.  I can't change our fucked up school funding model, so I'm gonna help the people who take it on the chin because of it.  You can't live anywhere near our school district on $55,000/year so I'm gonna fix that for at least a few dozen folks.  From the Capitol to City Hall of Austin, morons all.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

You still have to pay ISD taxes regardless of whether you have kids attending them

I understand that, I was paying a shitload before having kids.  And is a big reason we haven't gone back to private.  I meant his works with the plumbing, which I might have seen on another thread.  

19 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I don't work directly with the plumbing, dude.  We were just having a fundraiser to fix some shit at one elementary school.  I don't hang out in elementary school bathrooms, that's Dan Patrick's job.  Sickie.

Yeah, I get it.  Your incidental works that go towards funding things such as fucked up plumbing in your local school.   But, that sounds exactly like something Taylor Hamm would say...

23 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Oh god, please don't make me google someone named Taylor Hamm.  Just tell me the background story.  We've already spent way too much IP address red flag bandwidth discussing 2nd grade bathrooms.

I think he was/is an aggie forum contributor that creepily followed a young recruit into the bathroom to try and get an interview. But I could be confusing weirdo aggies.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Oh god, please don't make me google someone named Taylor Hamm.  Just tell me the background story.  We've already spent way too much IP address red flag bandwidth discussing 2nd grade bathrooms.

Bruh.  Spend some time searching 9.95 next time you need a laugh. You would absolutely love the decade long saga of Taylor Hamm.  It was the purest of aggy comedy. 

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

It was just an abrupt pill to swallow when my taxes jumped up $8,000 in a single year and I only had a few months to scramble the cash together.  And

Help me out here. Assuming this is a homesteaded property and the tax hike is capped at 10% (assuming no new value added via constriction), your taxes went from $80,000 to 88,000 and the 8k increase required scrambling?  And 80k is 2.5% of about 3.5 million.  So do you own a home valued at 3.5 million or greater and say you had to scramble for 8k?  Am I off?

Anyway, besides all that- what should happen with these value increases is the tax authorities get together and adjust their rates down accordingly. But we know how government works, so they will only do what is required by the law that was passed which I think caps total revenue at a 3.5% or so increase without voter approval. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Help me out here. Assuming this is a homesteaded property and the tax hike is capped at 10% (assuming no new value added via constriction), your taxes went from $80,000 to 88,000 and the 8k increase required scrambling?  And 80k is 2.5% of about 3.5 million.  So do you own a home valued at 3.5 million or greater and say you had to scramble for 8k?  Am I off?

Yeah, the numbers seemed hyperbolic.

I've been paying > 10% of my income to property taxes for <checks notes> well over a decade.  I appreciate the skyrocketing equity, but the cash flow is a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:52 AM, YGIFS said:

Meanwhile we’re co-hosting a fundraiser for my daughter’s elementary school to get properly working bathroom plumbing.

Couple hundred for this baby and the PTA can dig the hole for free. Quit your bitchin....

spacer.png

On 4/11/2023 at 2:26 PM, YGIFS said:

.but my "low tax" state just stuck it's fist up my ass and told me we were conservative

Our "low" taxes just go to pay for a lot of BS like every other state. Screw infrastructure. We aren't stupid. We're bloated and corrupt.

• Hook 'Em 2

Travis County is out

Fucking LOL. 

Travis County/Austin/Crestview

My neighbor's 2023 Market/Appraised Value dropped 12%.

My 2023 Market/Appraised Value increased 32%

For some reason, my Net Appraised Value is not updated yet, but LOL at the fucking Market/Appraised value. I'll go to TCAD right now and tell them I'll sell it to them immediately for $50K less than their Appraised value. They can immediately flip it for $50K profit, right? Win win for everyone, right?

Edited by crash_davis

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not all of Travis County is out -- mine isn't.

If you are in your page for your Property Detail, you can click on the map. Select your prop from the map, choose VIEW INFO, then scroll down. Doing this, you can at least see the Market/Appraised value.

Annually I've disputed my values. Do you dispute? I'm wondering if that's why our Net Appraised is not yet posted or why they went no lube on my Market Value increase.

27 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

If you are in your page for your Property Detail, you can click on the map. Select your prop from the map, choose VIEW INFO, then scroll down. Doing this, you can at least see the Market/Appraised value.

Thanks, it does show there.  Up 5.7% . . . in a declining real estate market.  Classic Travis County.