2023 Property tax values are out

WithoutAClue

Mine is up in Travis County.

Market Appraised value up 4.5%

Net Appraised up the full 10% as I have several years of catchup accumulated.

Dispute every year via Five Stone.

Fucking BS....my neighbor's market appraised values dropped vs mine going up.  

58 minutes ago, drewlaws said:

My appraised value is down 12% but taxes owed will still be up 10% this year and for the foreseeable future. Good times.

57 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Appraised amount went down. Taxable amount went up 10%. They are gonna be no lubing me for a few more years until they catch up. 

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Mine is down 0.5%. Fucking yawn. Net appraised up the expected 10%.

Edit: Travis County, NW Austin

same boat like most.  was actually surprised at how reactive their appraised value was to market conditions on mine...but of course, easy to do so when you have created so much taxable head room for yourself.  sigh.  

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

same boat like most.  was actually surprised at how reactive their appraised value was to market conditions on mine...but of course, easy to do so when you have created so much taxable head room for yourself.  sigh.  

Did the actual math and these fuckheads actually increased my net appraised amount 10.7%.  Assholes. I spent an inordinate amount of time last year cause they didn't even apply my HS exemption. Fucking incompetence on top of incompetence. 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks, it does show there.  Up 5.7% . . . in a declining real estate market.  Classic Travis County.

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I'll trade you my 32% for your 5.7%.

Do you annually dispute?

I’ll trade you both. Up 43%. And I live like 5 houses from Jimmy Jazz. 

What the actual fuck. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

NE Austin/Travis Co, my appraised value was down quite a bit (12%) but the net value still gets a 10% increase over last year's net due to accumulated prior increases.

mine did the same and haven't seen that in a while since I'm not used to the appraised/market value going down in Austin.  "Market Value" went down $170,000+ but assessed value went up almost the same b/c basically homestead cap value went took it in the ass.  So basically if your market value decreases, you automatically get the 10% increase sounds like.  Very generous of them.  "Hey, we say your market value went down but you're paying more taxes, be grateful..."

Assessed value means nothing except the amount of taxes you owe as a percentage of the overall tax base.  Last year my appraised value went up about 90%, my assessed value was limited to 10% rise, and my overall taxes actually dropped.  Inflation made it drop even more.  Renters took it in the shorts, because they have no 10% cap.

This year I think homesteaders are going to feel it more, since more will get the 10% assessed increase even if their appraisal is flat.  Their overall percentage of the tax base will rise.  Renters will feel it less.

The law really limits tax increases.  I think it's 2.5% for school districts and 3.5% for cities.  Inflation is higher than that.  The limit used to be 8%.  You need something like a Project Connect tax increase -- a city voting to voluntarily increase city taxes by 20% -- to really move the needle.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Like 1

Hays County. Appraised value up by 65.9%. Assessed capped at 10%. Purchased brand new in 2021. Won my protest last year to get value at purchase price, which was big since I didn’t yet qualify for the homestead and was not protected by the cap yet. Will try to fight but I’ll be dealing with max assessed value increase for the foreseeable future. Fucking ridiculous.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:30 AM, TexEx15 said:

Hays County. Appraised value up by 65.9%. Assessed capped at 10%. Purchased brand new in 2021. Won my protest last year to get value at purchase price, which was big since I didn’t yet qualify for the homestead and was not protected by the cap yet. Will try to fight but I’ll be dealing with max assessed value increase for the foreseeable future. Fucking ridiculous.

Lol.  Market value of my place there has gone from $288K in 2019 to $990K this year.  

Hays County, built in 2020 (Q4 close), won protest to purchase price. Up 65% last year (won protest but only knocked off 6-8%) and up another 15% this year. Market value $100K more than any house in my neighborhood has sold for this year.

Guess I’m getting my protest materials and charts together again.

up over 40% in hays and over 20% in Travis. Firmly in the region of impossible to get market value for the sale.

If they are going to play these games on the sale of the house if lower than the prior tax assessment in the 3 years prior without a downward correction for market shifting down they should refund the taxable value down to the sales price, but who are we kidding they don't actually care about market values they are just setting a number they want for tax income and then spreading it across the owners in the county. It's broken. 

Primary residence went up 2% (but still capped almost 300K below the appraisal thanks to HS.)  

Rental A went up 22% (W Austin, outside city limits).  Land value doubled from 2020 to 2022, structure value doubled from 2021 to 2023.  House had an AC unit replacement, and carpet replacement between renters, and a few walls patched and painted, NOTHING really improved.

Rental B went up 19.3% (S. Austin), zero improvements, minimal sales in the area to really benchmark their justifications, other than one closed duplex that was improved more than ours and sold for much lower than ours was valued at.

Montgomery Co. gives no shits about market downturn. My appraisal went up 27% (still protected by 10% cap for a couple years). This is the first time since about 2015 (through-2020 in Travis Co; 2020-2023 in Montgomery) that I’ve felt their appraised value is actually higher than I could sell it for, by at least $25k.

Edited by Murfdogg21

Kendall Co. is out. I got a modest 5% increase after a 46% increase last year and 15% increase in 2021. Looks like I'll be on the hook for the 10% cap for awhile. Are we getting the tax relief HS deduction increase this year? I thought it was supposed to go from 40k to 65k.

There's a new house about 10 doors down from mine that is basically identical to mine - same builder, same floorplan. The new one has an extra half bath mine doesn't. It sold in late December for $X. Honestly I think the people overpaid, too. Other very similar houses sold earlier in 2022 for like $X - $60k. So of course Harris County appraises us at $X + $100k. Uh, what?

Uploaded some comps into Harris County's system, including the new house and those earlier 2022 sales. They came back and knocked me down to...exactly $X, to the cent. So, according to Harris County, a buyer with $X to spend on January 1 could have bought a brand new house with an extra half bath, or spent that same money on my house that's been lived in for two years. Makes total sense.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:56 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Mine is.  Apparently my stick structure value decreased.   But my dirt went up from $125k to $200k.  Expensive dirt.   

The dirt under my house went up $600k since I bought my house in 2015.

Good thing in CA, property tax is assessed on purchase price and barely changes year to year, so I got that going for me.

But my wife and I get to pay $40K in state income tax every year. So quit yet bitchin’. 

• Haha 1

Knocked down about 5% after protest from ~$590K to $~560K. I still think it's high by about $20-30K, but don't want to deal with the hassle of an actual hearing. Even if it were knocked down, I'd still reach the full 10% cap this year.

TCAD was using comps from sales in June/July 2022... you know, when interest rates were a lot lower than they are now. And one of the houses that sold recently in their comps has a lot that's 40% larger, yet has the same land value.

14 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

yay for homestead exemption,  third year in a row they say value went up by 30+%

The thought process of the wife.  If you don't protest, you're agreeing to the 10% increase in perpetuity, and screwing the rest of your neighbors ability to bring down their appraisal value.  No reason NOT to protest every year!

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

The thought process of the wife.  If you don't protest, you're agreeing to the 10% increase in perpetuity, and screwing the rest of your neighbors ability to bring down their appraisal value.  No reason NOT to protest every year!

I agree with you. Protest every year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

A friend has a condo in Austin and just had a successful protest to drop the value 39%.  That wasn’t decided at a hearing, btw-that was the offer once it comps (easy to get with condos) were provided.  I’m just stupefied that they would set the value so high and then concede they did so with relatively little push back.  

I’m not generally one to presume the systems of government are broken but something is massively wrong with how we’ve decided to fund our local governments when the main mechanism to determine revenue generation forces you to go through an unfamiliar and uncomfortable (and possibly expensive if you hire someone) bureaucratic process.  

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

So property tax plus homeowners insurance plus maintenance, renting might actually be an option in the future.  There’s a ton of affordable rentals in Austin, right?

Jack up my taxes, I'll jack up your rent /landlord

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

So basically, I’m looking at $2k per housing, plus $1.5 to $2k for health insurance, so I had better have an income of more than $50k to even survive.  Got it.  

If you want to eat eggs on the regular, better make 60K.  

Ours went up by single digit %.  It is way more than we paid on 2020 and unfortunately, dumbasses who look in our specific neighborhood are still offering above list with houses lasting 3-4 days on the market.  Current comps do nothing to help me.  

On 4/14/2023 at 12:48 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, through ProTax.

Gonna outsource my protest this year. ProTax's rates kinda suck. If they don't decrease your assessed value, they want 2.50/1k on market value reduction (min fee of $50 no matter what).  I understand why they had to move to that model, but I think that there is at least 25-50k (and potentially much more) they might be able to trim off the market. Spread between market and assessed is unobtainable. Gonna try Five Stone this year ($79 or 45% of actual savings, greater of the two). So paying an extra $29 in hope that they can move the market value more than 30k.   

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Anyone tried these guys?

www.ownwell.com 

image.png.a07ee80a8b66935666de2091f5c5f7ff.png

Their online tools assessment sounds about right:

Your property has tax exemptions.

While it’s unlikely we can reduce your tax bill further this year, appealing every year regardless of your exemption status helps reduce your future tax liabilities. If you've recently purchased this property, you should appeal to reduce next year's increase to your tax bill.