True Detective: Night Country (Season 4)

mdmost

52 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Looks to tie in with season 1. The spiral symbol. Time is a flat circle. Maybe some cameos? Again, I would love a season with MM and Woody reprising their roles set it in South Texas. Because at least it never gets cold there.

I have heard that Woody and MM would both be down for that. It's amazing that it hasn't happened. 

I have heard that Woody and MM would both be down for that. It's amazing that it hasn't happened. 

Nothing is keeping Marty in Louisiana. They start some kind of security business for some ranchers along the river (cartels). Some fucked up stuff happens and they decide to put back in their Sherlock Holmes hats one more time. Discover human trafficking that ties in with season 1 and 4. They get the bad guys but due in the process. End of series.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jodie Foster is terrific, but two female leads seems very on theme for 2023. 

Cautiously optimistic. 

One of them will be a lesbian with a partner of different ethnicity.

Cautiously optimistic. 

One of them will be a lesbian with a partner of different ethnicity.

Cautiously optimistic. 

Hahaha dude. Women exist. So fucking what? This is becoming on brand with you. First the political/lgbt comment in the bbq thread, now this? You are better.

Can’t handle two women leads on one show out of thousands? Don’t watch it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha dude. Women exist. So fucking what? This is becoming on brand with you. First the political/lgbt comment in the bbq thread, now this? You are better.

Can’t handle two women leads on one show out of thousands? Don’t watch it.

What in the hell are you talking about on the BBQ thread? Are you sure you got the right guy? 

I finally finished season 1 recently after starting it years ago. Really great and the banter between McConaughey and Harrelson was legit lol.
Same creative team throughout? I heard season 2 was "meh" but 3 was good. 

I did not like season 2 with the exception of a few scenes. Those are obvious.

Season 3 was good but the ending wasn’t good. Very anticlimactic.

Season 1 I own and will watch it a couple of times a year. Absolutely my favorite single season of a TV show.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Season 1 I own and will watch it a couple of times a year. Absolutely my favorite single season of a TV show.

This...everything you posted is perfect.

On 4/13/2023 at 9:52 AM, gofuckyourself said:

I finally finished season 1 recently after starting it years ago. Really great and the banter between McConaughey and Harrelson was legit lol.

Same creative team throughout? I heard season 2 was "meh" but 3 was good. 

On 4/13/2023 at 9:56 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

On 4/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, mdmost said:

Season 2 was like blue balls in your heart. 

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Most of us were apopletic

Sweatpants & TV | True Detective 2x03 – “Maybe Tomorrow”

On 4/12/2023 at 4:08 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Looks to tie in with season 1. The spiral symbol. Time is a flat circle. Maybe some cameos? Again, I would love a season with MM and Woody reprising their roles set it in South Texas. Because at least it never gets cold there.

Maybe they could go back and resolve the season one plot line. 

• 4 weeks later...

Season 1 was lightning in a bottle.   That shit just doesn't happen very often at all, and lightning rarely strikes the same place multiple times.  And it's a shame because season 1 was absolute perfection.

I just rewatched Inside Man with Denzel, Willem DaFoe, Christopher Plummer, Clive Owen, and Jodie Foster in one of her best performances, though not much screen time.

So I'll be interested to see this.  I like Jodie.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

I just rewatched Inside Man with Denzel, Willem DaFoe, Christopher Plummer, Clive Owen, and Jodie Foster in one of her best performances, though not much screen time.

that movie is damn near perfect.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Season 1 was lightning in a bottle.   That shit just doesn't happen very often at all, and lightning rarely strikes the same place multiple times.  And it's a shame because season 1 was absolute perfection.

Season 1 was great. But it wasn’t perfect. The intrigue was top notch, the action not so much, and the ending sucked donkey balls. God, that pissed me off. I didn’t waste my time on season 2. I didn’t even know there was a season 3.

It’s easy to write a mystery show if you never have to answer the big questions. Season 1 didn’t resolve shit. I joked on the old board that it should’ve been called True Bromance. 

I have a sort of litmus test to see if my tastes line up with yours enough to listen to your advice out of a show.  S1 is one of the questions.  

You don't love Breaking Bad as much as I do?  I get it.  

But you don't like neither S1 or Deadwood?  We can stop convo rt now cuz I ain't listening to you.  Go jerk it to Twin Peaks.

I confess I don't remember what the reaction was on shaggy to the ending of season 1, but not only did I have no problems with the ending, I wouldn't have anticipated that others would have found it unsatisfying.

We already knew who the killer was, so it was just a matter of how it would go down when they found him.  And we learned that there really was a gang of murderous pedophiles, including the governor's evangelist brother, and that's what had turned lawnmower man into the serial killer he became.  I wonder if some were expecting it to be more of a mystery than it was?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Augustus said:

I confess I don't remember what the reaction was on shaggy to the ending of season 1, but not only did I have no problems with the ending, I wouldn't have anticipated that others would have found it unsatisfying.

We already knew who the killer was, so it was just a matter of how it would go down when they found him.  And we learned that there really was a gang of murderous pedophiles, including the governor's evangelist brother, and that's what had turned lawnmower man into the serial killer he became.  I wonder if some were expecting it to be more of a mystery than it was?

I recall that many posters were disappointed that many of the perceived mysteries were unresolved and/or they were plot holes.  The sets were loaded with perceived symbols or clues and the theories were all over the place as to what the symbols mean and how they tie into the story.  

23 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I recall that many posters were disappointed that many of the perceived mysteries were unresolved and/or they were plot holes.  The sets were loaded with perceived symbols or clues and the theories were all over the place as to what the symbols mean and how they tie into the story.  

Now that  you mention it, I do recall the spiral symbol and the barbie doll in a gang rape scene, etc.

I think people were trying too hard to turn into something it wasn't.  The showrunners kept mentioning during their weekly talks about the episodes that they weren't trying to be mysterious or misleading in any way.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 5:56 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s easy to write a mystery show if you never have to answer the big questions. Season 1 didn’t resolve shit.

questions were answered.  shit was resolved.  most of us digested it all just fine.  I think it’s just your extra ohio chromosome.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Now that  you mention it, I do recall the spiral symbol and the barbie doll in a gang rape scene, etc.

I think people were trying too hard to turn into something it wasn't.  The showrunners kept mentioning during their weekly talks about the episodes that they weren't trying to be mysterious or misleading in any way.

Exactly.  It’s a sport for many viewers to notice every little thing on the set and attribute meaning to it:  

On 5/12/2023 at 4:21 PM, Augustus said:

On 5/12/2023 at 4:23 PM, NOMAAA said:

that movie is damn near perfect.

I wasted two hours of my life last night on the strength of you assholes' recommendation.  Neg rep has been appropriately administered. How that movie has an 86 on rotten tomatoes is beyond me.  besos y abrazos