True Detective: Night Country (Season 4)

mdmost

21 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

I wasted two hours of my life last night on the strength of you assholes' recommendation.  Neg rep has been appropriately administered. How that movie has an 86 on rotten tomatoes is beyond me.  besos y abrazos

it's probably not as good as they said but it's still highly watchable.  were you having a bad day yesterday?

On 5/21/2023 at 5:45 PM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

I wasted two hours of my life last night on the strength of you assholes' recommendation.  Neg rep has been appropriately administered. How that movie has an 86 on rotten tomatoes is beyond me.  besos y abrazos

Your opinion sucks and you should feel bad about yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/12/2023 at 8:27 PM, Hornbeliever said:

I have a sort of litmus test to see if my tastes line up with yours enough to listen to your advice out of a show.  S1 is one of the questions.  

You don't love Breaking Bad as much as I do?  I get it.  

But you don't like neither S1 or Deadwood?  We can stop convo rt now cuz I ain't listening to you.  Go jerk it to Twin Peaks.

wait, i'm sorry, i just saw this... he doesn't like Deadwood?? i mean i've defended him in the chili wars bc my mate is from Cincinnati and i've learned to cook it and it's actually good if you can not think of it as traditional chili but more of a meat sauce dish...but fuck him if he doesn't appreciate the poetry that is Deadwood! cocksucker.

anyways, looking forward to this. hmpf.

On 5/21/2023 at 5:45 PM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

This is one of the worst opinions ever posted on the internet. Inside Man is a flawless movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

98% on Rotten Tomatoes currently. 54/55 positive reviews. Kinda bummed it's only a 6-episode season and gonna have to wait a week a between each.

Is it supposed to be a limited series or will there potentially be a season 2 of this iteration?

On 5/12/2023 at 6:56 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Season 1 was great. But it wasn’t perfect. The intrigue was top notch, the action not so much, and the ending sucked donkey balls. God, that pissed me off. I didn’t waste my time on season 2. I didn’t even know there was a season 3.

It’s easy to write a mystery show if you never have to answer the big questions. Season 1 didn’t resolve shit. I joked on the old board that it should’ve been called True Bromance. 

This thread has some awful takes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Good weather to watch a two hour True Detective premiere set in Alaska. 

Is it two hours?  My program guide is showing it from 9:00-10:01 pm, then several repeats in a row.

Enjoyed the first episode. I didn't know Fiona Shaw was in it. She'll bring something to the series. I kept thinking every time they showed the trooper just how exactly do those things stay on her cheeks? 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Enjoyed the first episode. I didn't know Fiona Shaw was in it. She'll bring something to the series. I kept thinking every time they showed the trooper just how exactly do those things stay on her cheeks? 

She appears to be quite capable at the sex. 

• Like 2

Excellent first episode. I'm thinking there's a connection between the ice core samples and the mine. Something underground has been disturbed and awakened. The one-eyed polar bear stuffed animal showing up on the floor at about the same time as a real one, also with one eye, in town was interesting. I'm curious about the backstory on Travis, the ghost.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is that December 20th was chosen as the last day of sun. Since the winter solstice is December 21st, wouldn't it have happened sooner with an equal number of days of perpetual dark before and after that date? 

Old man yelling at clouds here but I can’t imagine any police force would be ok with that. Seems like a liability in a physical confrontation.

5 minutes ago, RPM said:

Need a quick Alaska tutorial. What is APF police vs just local cops. They city and county? I get the state trooper difference.

I think Jody Foster et al are just city cops. I was curious about it too watching last night, and I looked carefully at the APF patch, which also reads the City of Ennis Police. So maybe it's just a generic Alaska Police Force acronym, which is probably made up but I don't know. 

image.thumb.png.0ce81cf227e27b862481be9a2e20a9a9.png

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

I think Jody Foster et al are just city cops. I was curious about it too watching last night, and I looked carefully at the APF patch, which also reads the City of Ennis Police. So maybe it's just a generic Alaska Police Force acronym, which is probably made up but I don't know. 

image.thumb.png.0ce81cf227e27b862481be9a2e20a9a9.png

Is that Hillary Swank?

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

Excellent first episode. I'm thinking there's a connection between the ice core samples and the mine. Something underground has been disturbed and awakened. The one-eyed polar bear stuffed animal showing up on the floor at about the same time as a real one, also with one eye, in town was interesting. I'm curious about the backstory on Travis, the ghost.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is that December 20th was chosen as the last day of sun. Since the winter solstice is December 21st, wouldn't it have happened sooner with an equal number of days of perpetual dark before and after that date? 

Yes. I too was disturbed by the lack of correct solstice math.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My wife is convinced that Navarro’s sister is also the dead Annie K.  Either she’s crazy or I am.  My wife thinks the line tattoo on the chin is the giveaway.  She recalled that Navarro’s sister had the same tattoo.  I didn’t really notice but I tried to tell her that the visit with Annie K’s brother would be different if they all were siblings.  I had to let this one go.

30 minutes ago, HouTex said:

My wife is convinced that Navarro’s sister is also the dead Annie K.  Either she’s crazy or I am.  My wife thinks the line tattoo on the chin is the giveaway.  She recalled that Navarro’s sister had the same tattoo.  I didn’t really notice but I tried to tell her that the visit with Annie K’s brother would be different if they all were siblings.  I had to let this one go.

I think the tattoo is a tribal thing related to this spirit or wtf it is.

Spoiler

The Police Chief's kid has one in the previews.

55 minutes ago, RPM said:

I think the tattoo is a tribal thing related to this spirit or wtf it is.

Hide contents

The Police Chief's kid has one in the previews.

I guessed that and told Mrs. HouTex but she’s all in for the sister angle.  

14 hours ago, WBT said:

Pretty good first episode.

Hide contents

How did Rust Cohle's Lone Stars make it to Tsalal?

Man, as a loyal drinker that was the first thing that jumped out at me.  It's like Big Red, you can't get it past the Texas border much less Alaska. Is it a homage to Rust or a clue?

2 hours ago, DToro said:

Man, as a loyal drinker that was the first thing that jumped out at me.  It's like Big Red, you can't get it past the Texas border much less Alaska. Is it a homage to Rust or a clue?

Lone Star paid for product placement.  The brother of the dead girl also had a Lone Star.  Texas beers love HBO. Shiner Bock had product placement in True Blood in every season.

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Figured it was just a nod to season one. That six-pack of tallboys ("nothing fancy") was like another character.

It is most definitely a nod to season 1.  There are tons of easter eggs in the episode.  I read an article yesterday pointing out many of them, such as the fake quote at the opening screen of the episode, the kid named "Darwin", and several others I can't recall.

ETA I think one of these is the article:

https://screenrant.com/true-detective-night-country-season-1-connections-references/

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/true-detective-season-4-night-country-easter-eggs

Edited by DDD Dad

3 hours ago, DToro said:

When Stroh's bought Lone Star it went national, sort of. I know it was available in Seattle for a while, but it didn't taste the same. That was the same time Rainer was available in Texas. It didn't taste right, either. Pabst owns it now and contracts production from Miller Fort Worth. So it's distro is restricted to trucking distance (+/- 500 mi) from Fort Worth.

When Stroh's bought Lone Star it went national, sort of. I know it was available in Seattle for a while, but it didn't taste the same. That was the same time Rainer was available in Texas. It didn't taste right, either. Pabst owns it now and contracts production from Miller Fort Worth. So it's distro is restricted to trucking distance (+/- 500 mi) from Fort Worth.

Untangling the various ownership of American beer brands and who makes what is a more challenging mystery that figuring out the yellow king in S1.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1