San Antonio Spurs 2023 Offseason - Voodoo Dolls and Ping Pong Balls

Mitch Cumsteen

There's probably not a ton to talk about pre-lottery, but I thought I'd get this started. In the meantime, pray to your preferred deity that we hit it big when it counts most. For the third time. 

Other than that, this should be a pretty bland off season. They have one real priority and that's locking up Devin Vassell to a reasonable deal. They should also get Tre Jones on board at a decent clip. I think they've seen enough of Zach Collins to warrant an extension as well. None of those contracts should be back breakers.

I haven't talked to anybody down there in a while, but I still think Pop comes back.

They still have a ton of cap and future draft assets. Barring a lottery win where they might consider adding some stabilizing vets to a young core, I don't anticipate them burning through either of them. I'd still be a fan of taking on someone's bad contract for more picks. This thing is still building.

As terrible as this season was, it wasn't a total waste. We learned that Sochan is a player. He could be elite if his springer ever gets fixed. Plus it seems like he's going to drive the culture in the right direction. Great draft pick. Vassell is pretty good and only getting better. He only played in 38 games but he could be on the brink of being really good. Malaki Branham can get buckets, at a minimum. He's far from a finished product (especially on defense), but was another great pick from last season. I didn't see enough of Wesley to learn anything definitive, but he's athletic and is a willing defender with a high motor. Collins is rotational big. That gamble really paid off. I really don't know what to make of Keldon Johnson. At the very least he is an asset that you can move if he doesn't have a fit going forward.

All of these guys would benefit immensely from playing with a true star who can tilt the floor and make the game easier for them. That's what it's all about. That's what it's always about. 

Go Spurs Go. 
Lottery-balls GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If we don’t get 1st pick who would we take at 2 or 3?

We would take Scoot at 2. 

Miller is the obvious pick at 3 but he has a fairly significant character red flag that I'm not sure the Spurs would brush aside. I think if we get the 3rd pick we potentially trade out of it. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If we don’t get 1st pick who would we take at 2 or 3?

I would take Miller at 2 but they would almost surely pass on him because of the off the court stuff. They were just dragged in the most publicly and humiliating way possible by another young dude from Bama. And they are predisposed to not suffer fools or head cases ever since the Dennis Rodman days. They've built the entire organization on this principle so I just can't see them taking Miller regardless of how tantalizing his talent is. They will do their diligence but to me he is the second best player in the draft but probably un-draftable for them.

I'm just not that high on Scoot Henderson but he's probably the default pick. His g league play was underwhelming and there are some flags. I need to check out more of him. If they go below 3, it's a complete crapshoot. I haven't done a ton of research, but the Thompson twins make me really nervous. The league has been peppered with uber athletic dudes who just aren't that great at playing basketball. From my limited viewing, I would probably take Jerace Walker from Houston. Or maybe Hendricks from UCF? I dunno. Let's all hope it doesn't come down to that.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would take Miller at 2 but they would almost surely pass on him because of the off the court stuff. They were just dragged in the most publicly and humiliating way possible by another young dude from Bama. And they are predisposed to not suffer fools or head cases ever since the Dennis Rodman days. They've built the entire organization on this principle so I just can't see them taking Miller regardless of how tantalizing his talent is. They will do their diligence but to me he is the second best player in the draft but probably un-draftable for them.

I'm just not that high on Scoot Henderson but he's probably the default pick. His g league play was underwhelming and there are some flags. I need to check out more of him. If they go below 3, it's a complete crapshoot. I haven't done a ton of research, but the Thompson twins make me really nervous. The league has been peppered with uber athletic dudes who just aren't that great at playing basketball. From my limited viewing, I would probably take Jerace Walker from Houston. Or maybe Hendricks from UCF? I dunno. Let's all hope it doesn't come down to that.

I know almost nil about Henderson, but the name alone does not have the sound of a guy who is going to lead a team to a title. I hear Scoot and think of an undersized guard coming off the bench. He may be 6’7” for all I know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Wembanyama officially declared for the draft today.

"Fuck them Rockets, Pistons and all those other chumps. I'm playing for the Spurs or demanding a trade," is what I pretended to hear him say when reading the article.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36255353/projected-top-pick-victor-wembanyama-submits-paperwork-nba-draft

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well boys (and possibly one or two other genders), we’re two days away. How are we feeling? Me, I’m stressed. Can we possibly secure another generational talent with the number one pick? Or do we get another headcase from Alabama? 

34 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Well boys (and possibly one or two other genders), we’re two days away. How are we feeling? Me, I’m stressed. Can we possibly secure another generational talent with the number one pick? Or do we get another headcase from Alabama? 

Need an updated version of this.

50893145.jpg.0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If the spurs hit the jackpot for the third time… I won’t even know what to say.

Even if they don’t, I like the path they’re on and the young pieces they have. Lots of assets coming their way, a wide open cap, the culture is still good, and they truly develop their guys as long as the guy in question is not a perv or a head case. They should get a good player regardless and they are building it the right way.

There’s so much luck involved beyond the lottery. Zion, Oden, etc. Markelle Fultz. Jhonny Flynn ahead of Curry. Kawhi and Giannis were drafted like 15. Jokic was a second rounder. Jimmy Butler went 30. Ayton went ahead of Doncic. Point being, who the fuck knows?

Still, that skinny frenchie is an absolute freak of nature. It’s pretty easy to imagine him in the black and silver. I try not to get my hopes up for anything with a 14% chance though. Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Move forward regardless. Dust off the red chameleon bolo tie and let’s go. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2