San Antonio Spurs 2023 Offseason - Voodoo Dolls and Ping Pong Balls

Mitch Cumsteen

I don't understand why the Rockets fans are so salty. I still think they lucked into the best pick in the draft last year (if they can develop him) and they're going to get a good player this year. Taking Green over Mobley was a mistake, but he's not a complete scrub. Sengun was a great pick where he was taken -- I was pissed when the Spurs took Primo over him, and still am. They have a decent number of picks headed their way and a wide open cap. Things could be way, way worse there.

Also... I don't think Victor wanted to go there anyway. LOL.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Absolutely they wanted the Spurs. Pistons were in play.  Apparently during actual lottery ball selection, the Wizards had a good chance.  He dodged a Bullet.

Nice 

8556_washington_bullets-primary_dark-197

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't understand why the Rockets fans are so salty. I still think they lucked into the best pick in the draft last year (if they can develop him) and they're going to get a good player this year. Taking Green over Mobley was a mistake, but he's not a complete scrub. Sengun was a great pick where he was taken -- I was pissed when the Spurs took Primo over him, and still am. They have a decent number of picks headed their way and a wide open cap. Things could be way, way worse there.

Also... I don't think Victor wanted to go there anyway. LOL.

Why salty? Because if we won the lotto it's highly likely we win at least one title in the next 7 years or 8 years or however long those guys are locked down during rookie scale and then the fun max at 25%. Now, we gots to get pretty dang lucky.

SA winning means yall had to suffer through what- 2 bad seasons for a 60 year run? 3 bad seasons?  I'm saying 60 assuming this dude is awesome for 15 or 20 years or something like the other once in a decade type guys tend to be.

Congrats to yall you lucky fuckers. Winning the lotto 3 times and having it be Robinson, Duncan and Wemby.  That's amazeballs. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Plus they're getting Harden back.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Why salty? Because if we won the lotto it's highly likely we win at least one title in the next 7 years or 8 years or however long those guys are locked down during rookie scale and then the fun max at 25%. Now, we gots to get pretty dang lucky.

SA winning means yall had to suffer through what- 2 bad seasons for a 60 year run? 3 bad seasons?  I'm saying 60 assuming this dude is awesome for 15 or 20 years or something like the other once in a decade type guys tend to be.

Congrats to yall you lucky fuckers. Winning the lotto 3 times and having it be Robinson, Duncan and Wemby.  That's amazeballs. 

Consider it karmic payback for the Kawhi Leonard debacle.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

https://theathletic.com/4529587/2023/05/17/scoot-henderson-nba-draft-top-pick?source=user-shared-article

Scoot Henderson thinks he has the ability to go number 1 overall.

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

Usually when the other guy is answering questions about what it's like going to the Spurs before the draft has happened it means that he's probably going #1.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

https://theathletic.com/4529587/2023/05/17/scoot-henderson-nba-draft-top-pick?source=user-shared-article

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

This dude is ridiculous, San Antonio is already planning Wemby's welcome party.

If Henderson were to show up instead.

2H5M3V.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ZanTheFan said:
1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

200.gif

Not a subscriber. Is he saying he's better than wby? Or is it more like "I'd be the top pick in a non wemby draft"?

Spoiler

CHICAGO – Scoot Henderson hasn’t crossed San Antonio off his list of future homes.

Despite the Spurs winning the draft lottery Tuesday night and the presumption that they’ll take 7-foot-4 Victor Wembanyama with the No. 1 pick, the 6-foot-2 point guard said he still has a case to be the top selection. He called the experience of watching the lottery play out in real time “surreal” as he learned his likely landing spots on the fly like everyone else.

“I think I have the ability to go No. 1,” Henderson told members of the media Wednesday. “I believe in myself as any competitor should.”

Henderson hasn’t met with any teams at the draft combine and said he will likely have some workouts and meetings in the coming weeks, but is open to taking a meeting with the Spurs to make his case as the top prospect.

“My personality, it speaks for itself,” Henderson said of his reasoning.

Regarding his more realistic homes — Charlotte and perhaps Portland — Henderson was excited talking about his likely destinations. The Georgia native has some familiarity with LaMelo Ball and played against burgeoning center Mark Williams in the G League Showcase earlier this year. Henderson spoke of Ball’s creative playmaking, and a backcourt with Ball would give the Hornets two young guards who can both score and create. Henderson also has a relationship with a Charlotte native in Warriors guard Stephen Curry, who he plans to ask for food spots and living advice if he winds up in the Queen City. Henderson has watched how Curry has had a legendary career while staying out of the news and hopes to follow his model.

“I want to build an empire for my family,” Henderson said.

Should Henderson fall to No. 3, his fate gets more interesting. Portland star Damian Lillard has said he’s not interested in watching the organization draft another young player that needs to develop, which could make Henderson a trade piece if he falls that low. Similar to his interest in courting the Spurs, Henderson said he thinks there’s a case for him to play alongside Lillard instead of being part of a trade package to land the All-Star floor general a more established player to help with contention.

“I think I’d work out over there as well,” Henderson said. “I don’t have to be ball dominant. When my time comes, I’ll kill.”

Henderson opted to skip college and sign with the G League Ignite, giving the new unconventional ways to go pro more attention than years prior. Between Henderson and the Thompson twins, three of the top five picks in the draft are expected to come from the Ignite and Overtime Elite, which could become a trend for the coming years.

“I hope it is,” Henderson said. “I hope they see the work and the trail that we chose. Hopefully, the kids coming up see that and see you don’t have to take the traditional way.”

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

Could Henderson actually go No. 1?

Henderson’s attitude is admirable given he’s been linked with the Frenchman throughout the draft process, but Wembanyama makes too much sense to go No. 1 for the Spurs to shock the world and take Henderson. But it will be interesting if the Spurs take him up on his offer and maybe add a little intrigue to what everyone has expected to be a predictable draft (at least in the top two spots) for years now.

Scoot enjoying the process

Henderson is already speaking highly of the Hornets and the idea of playing with Ball and isn’t opposed to playing with Lillard, despite the likeliness that the Blazers trade the No. 3 pick for more immediate help. For a player who has been in Wembanyama’s shadow throughout the draft process, he’s still enjoying himself and not letting the comparisons be a storyline.

I mean - I really like this kid. And would have been fine with the Spurs taking him at 2. 

But ain't no one in their damn minds not drafting Wemby #1.

Spoiler

CHICAGO – Scoot Henderson hasn’t crossed San Antonio off his list of future homes.

Despite the Spurs winning the draft lottery Tuesday night and the presumption that they’ll take 7-foot-4 Victor Wembanyama with the No. 1 pick, the 6-foot-2 point guard said he still has a case to be the top selection. He called the experience of watching the lottery play out in real time “surreal” as he learned his likely landing spots on the fly like everyone else.

“I think I have the ability to go No. 1,” Henderson told members of the media Wednesday. “I believe in myself as any competitor should.”

Henderson hasn’t met with any teams at the draft combine and said he will likely have some workouts and meetings in the coming weeks, but is open to taking a meeting with the Spurs to make his case as the top prospect.

“My personality, it speaks for itself,” Henderson said of his reasoning.

Regarding his more realistic homes — Charlotte and perhaps Portland — Henderson was excited talking about his likely destinations. The Georgia native has some familiarity with LaMelo Ball and played against burgeoning center Mark Williams in the G League Showcase earlier this year. Henderson spoke of Ball’s creative playmaking, and a backcourt with Ball would give the Hornets two young guards who can both score and create. Henderson also has a relationship with a Charlotte native in Warriors guard Stephen Curry, who he plans to ask for food spots and living advice if he winds up in the Queen City. Henderson has watched how Curry has had a legendary career while staying out of the news and hopes to follow his model.

“I want to build an empire for my family,” Henderson said.

Should Henderson fall to No. 3, his fate gets more interesting. Portland star Damian Lillard has said he’s not interested in watching the organization draft another young player that needs to develop, which could make Henderson a trade piece if he falls that low. Similar to his interest in courting the Spurs, Henderson said he thinks there’s a case for him to play alongside Lillard instead of being part of a trade package to land the All-Star floor general a more established player to help with contention.

“I think I’d work out over there as well,” Henderson said. “I don’t have to be ball dominant. When my time comes, I’ll kill.”

Henderson opted to skip college and sign with the G League Ignite, giving the new unconventional ways to go pro more attention than years prior. Between Henderson and the Thompson twins, three of the top five picks in the draft are expected to come from the Ignite and Overtime Elite, which could become a trend for the coming years.

“I hope it is,” Henderson said. “I hope they see the work and the trail that we chose. Hopefully, the kids coming up see that and see you don’t have to take the traditional way.”

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

Could Henderson actually go No. 1?

Henderson’s attitude is admirable given he’s been linked with the Frenchman throughout the draft process, but Wembanyama makes too much sense to go No. 1 for the Spurs to shock the world and take Henderson. But it will be interesting if the Spurs take him up on his offer and maybe add a little intrigue to what everyone has expected to be a predictable draft (at least in the top two spots) for years now.

Scoot enjoying the process

Henderson is already speaking highly of the Hornets and the idea of playing with Ball and isn’t opposed to playing with Lillard, despite the likeliness that the Blazers trade the No. 3 pick for more immediate help. For a player who has been in Wembanyama’s shadow throughout the draft process, he’s still enjoying himself and not letting the comparisons be a storyline.

I mean - I really like this kid. And would have been fine with the Spurs taking him at 2. 
But ain't no one in their damn minds not drafting Wemby #1.

Same. I think Scoot is gonna be a superstar and I was going to be happy if we didn’t get #1 but got him as a consolation prize. But we are taking Victor.

11 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Just the best soccer player in the world. He's 5'10"

I thought Zava was the best in the world.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Yeah, the only soccer I watch is Ted Lasso.

Same here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay I've had some time to gather my thoughts.

1. Wemby Upside
    • Generational talent
    • Pro experience but still young
    • Good Kid From Good Family™
  2. Wemby Risks?
    • Any potential Giantism-related cardio/heart health problems?
    • Bad feet/knees?
    • Is he willing to play a more fundamentally sound style of basketball?
  3. Second Rounders?

I think the future is going to be really bright.

48 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Okay I've had some time to gather my thoughts.

1. Wemby Upside
    • Generational talent
    • Pro experience but still young
    • Good Kid From Good Family™
  2. Wemby Risks?
    • Any potential Giantism-related cardio/heart health problems?
    • Bad feet/knees?
    • Is he willing to play a more fundamentally sound style of basketball?
  3. Second Rounders?

I think the future is going to be really bright.

I surround him with as many shooters as you can find.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He’s Euro lol 

I remember coming into the league Timmy was fond of ball handling, which I'm pretty sure Pop coached out of him.

The highlights I've seen of Wemby remind me of that, and while that's impressive and fun to watch might not translate when the competition is NBA caliber.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I remember coming into the league Timmy was fond of ball handling, which I'm pretty sure Pop coached out of him.

The highlights I've seen of Wemby remind me of that, and while that's impressive and fun to watch might not translate when the competition is NBA caliber.

All the best players in the league currently are euro/not American. You’re preaching fundamentals but AAU is fucking Americans in terms of fundamentals of basketball. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

All the best players in the league currently are euro/not American. You’re preaching fundamentals but AAU is fucking Americans in terms of fundamentals of basketball. 

I'm not saying Wemby lacks fundamentals at all. I am saying there's a lot he's capable of doing (like running point) that he won't be asked to do and might actually hinder his development. There's almost TOO MANY possibilities with him.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah we're quaking in our boots. I'm sure James Harden is going to work extra hard this season because the #1 pick didn't want to play for them. 

He'll be in the strip clubs just fuming at the thought. Stone-faced and he drops 1s from the balcony to the main stage, glimpses of Wemby in the face of every girl who shimmies up the pole. 

https://www.nba.com/watch/event/lnb-betclic-elite-boulonge-levallois-vs-cholet

Wemby playing live right now streaming for free on NBATV. About midway through the 3rd quarter.

Bonus: Bruce Bowen is one of the announcers.

Wemby has looked uneven so far but is heating up a bit .

Another bonus: Perry Ellis is playing for the other team. Shocking that he doesn't have 3 more years of eligibility at Kansas.

• Like 1

That was a great game. The opponent - Cholet - hit a buzzer beating 3 for the win, forcing a winner take all game 3 in the playoff.

Wemby looked pretty good overall. Here is my knee jerk scouting report based off of one half of one French league playoff game.

1. He's going to be a defensive force from day 1. It's comical to watch smaller guys try to get shots up over him near the rim. They are just throwing wild shit up at the basket and seeing if they can get close. He's going to alter A TON of shots. Even on the perimeter, his reach is so absurd that he can impact shots that he has no business impacting. Same thing in the passing lanes. He's going to be a pain in the ass to play against.
  2. He looks like an unselfish passer who makes the right plays. The fact that his teammates couldn't finish probably cost them the game, but he made the correct reads and delivered the ball on time in the right place. He didn't play hero ball when he very well could have.
  3. Also seems like a legitimately good teammate -- celebrating other guys making plays, showing emotion in a good way in general, he seems to care about winning.
  4. Undeniable shooting touch. Very rare for a guy that big. He will shoot 80% ish from the line. Hack-a-Wemby will never be a thing.
  5. He's absurdly fluid and flexible for a guy that tall. I know the biggest fear with him is injury, but there is little awkwardness to his movement. Maybe he has a chance to stay healthier than guys in the past who were his size?
  6. He's going to get pushed around A LOT at first. He's just not very strong and whatever the opposite is of a low center of gravity, it's him. He got rooted out pretty easily on some offensive rebounds. 
  7. He's going to get a lot of easy garbage buckets just because he's so huge, but he doesn't necessarily seem like an instinctual rebounder.
  8. We're a good ways off from his being a 7'5" Kevin Durant. The offensive game will come, but there's going to be some ugly growing pains until then. 
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That was a great game. The opponent - Cholet - hit a buzzer beating 3 for the win, forcing a winner take all game 3 in the playoff.

Wemby looked pretty good overall. Here is my knee jerk scouting report based off of one half of one French league playoff game.

1. He's going to be a defensive force from day 1. It's comical to watch smaller guys try to get shots up over him near the rim. They are just throwing wild shit up at the basket and seeing if they can get close. He's going to alter A TON of shots. Even on the perimeter, his reach is so absurd that he can impact shots that he has no business impacting. Same thing in the passing lanes. He's going to be a pain in the ass to play against.
  2. He looks like an unselfish passer who makes the right plays. The fact that his teammates couldn't finish probably cost them the game, but he made the correct reads and delivered the ball on time in the right place. He didn't play hero ball when he very well could have.
  3. Also seems like a legitimately good teammate -- celebrating other guys making plays, showing emotion in a good way in general, he seems to care about winning.
  4. Undeniable shooting touch. Very rare for a guy that big. He will shoot 80% ish from the line. Hack-a-Wemby will never be a thing.
  5. He's absurdly fluid and flexible for a guy that tall. I know the biggest fear with him is injury, but there is little awkwardness to his movement. Maybe he has a chance to stay healthier than guys in the past who were his size?
  6. He's going to get pushed around A LOT at first. He's just not very strong and whatever the opposite is of a low center of gravity, it's him. He got rooted out pretty easily on some offensive rebounds. 
  7. He's going to get a lot of easy garbage buckets just because he's so huge, but he doesn't necessarily seem like an instinctual rebounder.
  8. We're a good ways off from his being a 7'5" Kevin Durant. The offensive game will come, but there's going to be some ugly growing pains until then. 

Ummm...

A high center of gravity?