Texas @ Baylor: Series Thread

MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they blew leads against Tech also, twice.   can they get better? yes.  right now they suck.

That performance against Tech was loads better than this.

Did they roughed up a bit? Sure. But they were also getting outs and keeping us in the game.

The last two games were 2019 level barely capable of playing baseball stuff. Not typical at all of even our worst bullpen performances this season. A peformance from the pen similar to the Tech game and we win today.

These last two games are on a whole different level. Suck is almost kind.

I don't know what to make of it. And now that we have seen it two games in a row, I am concerned.

But hey we did get a decent performance by the non-Zane and non-Stuart guys today. So there is that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

can they get better? yes.  right now they suck.

Not likely.  Pierce’s recent history is that once a guy has a nuclear meltdown their career at Texas is pretty much toast.  I will be very surprised to see Morehouse return to his earlier season form.  His best shot is a complete role change.  No more closing, no setup.  Stuart has been wild the moment he set foot on the mound.  That’s not changing.  I guess Hurley will be back to the pen where’s he’s been decent, so that’s a plus.  The whole thing stems from lack of quality starters.  We only have one starter who ever goes 6 or 7.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

That performance against Tech was loads better than this.

Did they roughed up a bit? Sure. But they were also getting outs and keeping us in the game.

The last two games were 2019 level barely capable of playing baseball stuff. Not typical at all of even our worst bullpen performances this season. A peformance from the pen similar to the Tech game and we win today.

These last two games are on a whole different level. Suck is almost kind.

I don't know what to make of it. And now that we have seen it two games in a row, I am concerned.

But hey we did get a decent performance by the non-Zane and non-Stuart guys today. So there is that.

the tech series was almost the same as these last 2.  we just had last ups. look at the box scores.

It isn't the end of the world but they have sucked for a while and Pierce needs to figure it out.  Zane was trying to throw inside and couldn't handle it.  just fucking tell him to paint the outer half and if they hit it they hit it.  The pitch selection leaves much to be desired when you have a bunch of guys with control issues.

In previous games I’ve noticed that our pitchers aren’t trying to locate pitches. They are trying just to throw strikes. They are trying every single pitch to throw it straight down the middle. And at this they are failing. 

That’s little league shit. 

And now I feel like they are just trying to get it to the catcher. To try and not bounce it off the grass into a batter’s knee. And they are failing at this as well. 

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Not likely.  Pierce’s recent history is that once a guy has a nuclear meltdown their career at Texas is pretty much toast.  I will be very surprised to see Morehouse return to his earlier season form.  His best shot is a complete role change.  No more closing, no setup.  Stuart has been wild the moment he set foot on the mound.  That’s not changing.  I guess Hurley will be back to the pen where’s he’s been decent, so that’s a plus.  The whole thing stems from lack of quality starters.  We only have one starter who ever goes 6 or 7.  

Yep. We are one quality Saturday starter away from being comfortable in the pitching department. 

Edited by Levi

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

the Nuke Laloosh behind the back pitch from Stuart today was fucking hilarious.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

the tech series was almost the same as these last 2.  we just had last ups. look at the box scores.

It isn't the end of the world but they have sucked for a while and Pierce needs to figure it out.  Zane was trying to throw inside and couldn't handle it.  just fucking tell him to paint the outer half and if they hit it they hit it.  The pitch selection leaves much to be desired when you have a bunch of guys with control issues.

I guess I missed all the six run innings Tech was putting up in those games. 

Look I just happen to think these last two games were exceptionally bad. 6 run bottom of the 9th innings are not normal. Trying to convince they are normal and typical based on some 2 run innings isn't very convincing. Also the Sunday game was after we were obviously running out of pitching. We weren't running out of pitching today or yesterday.

But anyway I was surprised and upset by what I saw today and yesterday. I was able to give them a pass yesterday, but I can't today.

Maybe I am wrong and maybe anybody who knows baseball was expecting six run 9th innings to Baylor. I wasn't.

46 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Unfortunately, Texas leading the B12 might say more about the rest of the league than it does about us. We're clearly not elite. 

This program has never been elite under Pierce and it never will. Flame away but deep down you know I'm right.

Getting embarrassed in the CWS is not Elite baseball.

• Fuck You 12

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I guess I missed all the six run innings Tech was putting up in those games. 

Look I just happen to think these last two games were exceptionally bad. 6 run bottom of the 9th innings are not normal. Trying to convince they are normal and typical based on some 2 run innings isn't very convincing. Also the Sunday game was after we were obviously running out of pitching. We weren't running out of pitching today or yesterday.

But anyway I was surprised and upset by what I saw today and yesterday. I was able to give them a pass yesterday, but I can't today.

Maybe I am wrong and maybe anybody who knows baseball was expecting six run 9th innings to Baylor. I wasn't.

they gave up 4 to Tech in the 8th, 3 twice to KSU in the 7th.  but anyway, the point is they are blowing leads in late innings on the reg. giving up multiple runs. in conference play.  yes this was worse.  it isn't totally shocking to me.  the staff is subpar but we knew that going in.  

Good news is Big 12 isn't that good this year and we seem to be scoring runs at a decent clip.  Pierce has been able to make CWS 3 out of 5 and probably would have at least made the Supers in the Covid year.  He's good. Maybe not be our year but he has a new pitching coach and might need to ride him a bit short term.  way too many guys with control issues.

Get Hurley back in the pen where he has had all of his success this year. We've gotten to this point despite Sthele starting Saturday's and piecing together Sunday's so why can't we just keep doing that? Minchey also needs to be someone who starts getting looks on the weekends out of the pen.

LBJ is a wildcard. I have no idea what to do with him. He has some Morehouse in him in that he either seems to have it or he REALLY doesn't have it. Not much in-between.

I don't know man, maybe this is just some negative regression from guys who were pitching over their heads to start the year, but there has gotta be more we can squeeze out of this bullpen.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, austintiger said:

This program has never been elite under Pierce and it never will. Flame away but deep down you know I'm right.

I know absolutely nothing about baseball but weren't we a run or so away from the final series two years ago? And might've beaten Sandy in the same way MSU did, given they wore out their arms?

28 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Deep down I know you suck and don't belong anywhere near this board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at that Morehouse game log, he may suffer from some inconsistency with respect to his role. Is he going an inning, an inning plus? And back to Tech, he was great in long relief then the next day, he didn’t start the 9th and only got an out due to a tagout at home.

If he’s your closer, let him get acclimated to getting 3 outs. Today he was good getting out of the 8th but fell apart after thinking about it for a half inning then returning to the mound

I’d go back to Gordon, Sthele, and LBJ with Hurley as the long relief guy. It’s probably too early to give up on Morehouse as closer. Define their roles and let them work through some of it.

Shaw probably didn’t get the call because he’s been out and pitched last night. He and his health are a huge piece. He might be able to close even. Then there’s Witt.

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Looking at that Morehouse game log, he may suffer from some inconsistency with respect to his role. Is he going an inning, an inning plus? And back to Tech, he was great in long relief then the next day, he didn’t start the 9th and only got an out due to a tagout at home.

If he’s your closer, let him get acclimated to getting 3 outs. Today he was good getting out of the 8th but fell apart after thinking about it for a half inning then returning to the mound

I’d go back to Gordon, Sthele, and LBJ with Hurley as the long relief guy. It’s probably too early to give up on Morehouse as closer. Define their roles and let them work through some of it.

Shaw probably didn’t get the call because he’s been out and pitched last night. He and his health are a huge piece. He might be able to close even. Then there’s Witt.

But then you have games like OSU where he came in for 3 outs and imploded. Same with incarnate Word.

If I’m reading it correctly, aside from the dominant outing against Tech on Friday night, he has allowed at least one baserunner in every other outing. I have been a defender of him but that is not closer-like.

Get Hurley back in the pen where he has had all of his success this year. We've gotten to this point despite Sthele starting Saturday's and piecing together Sunday's so why can't we just keep doing that? Minchey also needs to be someone who starts getting looks on the weekends out of the pen.
LBJ is a wildcard. I have no idea what to do with him. He has some Morehouse in him in that he either seems to have it or he REALLY doesn't have it. Not much in-between.
I don't know man, maybe this is just some negative regression from guys who were pitching over their heads to start the year, but there has gotta be more we can squeeze out of this bullpen.

Seems Harley’s walks go up when he starts. He was kicking butt out of the pen and could eat up lots of innings. He had a bit of good fortune his last start in that he didn’t give up more due to control issues. If he’s more effective getting you 5 when coming in the 3rd versus starting, go with that. There’s really no difference than flip flopping that other than the traditional starting role mindset.

Today we had problems because our starter gave us nothing on a day when extra base hits would be very limited. If he just gets us to the 3rd, we’re probably ok.

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Seems Harley’s walks go up when he starts. He was kicking butt out of the pen and could eat up lots of innings. He had a bit of good fortune his last start in that he didn’t give up more due to control issues. If he’s more effective getting you 5 when coming in the 3rd versus starting, go with that. There’s really no difference than flip flopping that other than the traditional starting role mindset.

Today we had problems because our starter gave us nothing on a day when extra base hits would be very limited. If he just gets us to the 3rd, we’re probably ok.

Correct. Run prevention is run prevention. Doesn’t matter if it is the 2nd inning or 7th inning. If a guy is more comfortable throwing the middle to late innings then let him do that.

• Like 1

But then you have games like OSU where he came in for 3 outs and imploded. Same with incarnate Word.
If I’m reading it correctly, aside from the dominant outing against Tech on Friday night, he has allowed at least one baserunner in every other outing. I have been a defender of him but that is not closer-like.

I know. That’s why I mentioned LBJ earlier. And You’re right, they are similar so there’s no guarantee.

I’d expect growing pains. For a guy without experience in the role, I’d tightly define that closer role until acclimated. Give me 3 outs. I don’t need 1.1, I don’t need 2. I’m saving you for the 9th. That’s your task. And for tomorrow’s game, that mentality starts today. His best chance of success is not waking up tomorrow thinking or not knowing he’s coming in the 7th, 8th or 9th.

Alternatively, I’m ok with closer by committee. If the matchups are right that day and Burke or Tole or Shaw are working, then let them finish it. But we have to accept that’s not ideal, and it’ll probably fail some too. Those guys don’t struggle with control to that extent either so you can afford to be more flexible with them.

Like you said with Sthele, we were winning as it was. It was not perfect, but he didn’t implode in the 1st. He exhibited control. His K rate was good.

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok but what about the games they did close out? It is not like it is typical for them to blow huge leads. Sure Zane blew that one run lead against OSU but that's not really comparable to back to back six run bottom of the 9th innings. That's crazy shit, that's not typical of anything.

This is a decent team. Let me get that out of the way. But the only real competition was the first two weeks of the season and Big 12 play.  March was a joke of a schedule. So I see these bull pen pitchers as just ok and none have that confidence that they know they are going to win. They close some out but not others.  Again a decent team, but Texas standards we need someone who craves the lights and the pressure. I don’t think this team is that. 

but going back to what I said weeks ago - I’m here for the wins. I’ll celebrate all of them and I’m not really mad here. This isn’t a team that can make a deep run and that’s ok.

• Hook 'Em 1

This isn’t a team that can make a deep run and that’s ok.

Why not? I assume a CWS appearance is a deep run.

Are we judging the offense by last year’s performance?

Are we comparing to teams that we haven’t watched or evaluated?

The results from the bullpen the last two nights are subpar. No doubt. We’ve blown games the past 3 weeks.

But just looking at top 20 UConn. Gave up 24 runs the last two games. To Xavier. Actually they won the series but gave up 33 runs.

Florida Gulf Coast also top 20 has given up 32 to Eastern Kentucky. And was run ruled in one of those. Lost the series 2-1.

One thing you can see is that we’ve competed in virtually every game. What three losses by more than 2 runs? One was in game 3 of the season, another was game 5 in 5 days and the other against a highly talented pitcher.

If you have a #1 starter that gives you a chance, and you stay in each game, you’ve got good opportunities to advance. Then it’s about the matchups.

10 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Why not? I assume a CWS appearance is a deep run.

Are we judging the offense by last year’s performance?

Are we comparing to teams that we haven’t watched or evaluated?

The results from the bullpen the last two nights are subpar. No doubt. We’ve blown games the past 3 weeks.

But just looking at top 20 UConn. Gave up 24 runs the last two games. To Xavier. Actually they won the series but gave up 33 runs.

Florida Gulf Coast also top 20 has given up 32 to Eastern Kentucky. And was run ruled in one of those. Lost the series 2-1.

One thing you can see is that we’ve competed in virtually every game. What three losses by more than 2 runs? One was in game 3 of the season, another was game 5 in 5 days and the other against a highly talented pitcher.

If you have a #1 starter that gives you a chance, and you stay in each game, you’ve got good opportunities to advance. Then it’s about the matchups.

Because a deep run requires serious consistency over a two week period playing 4-5 teams that are all good (saving maybe a 4 seed) and this team has only showed that consistency playing really bad teams.  The odds of this team winning a regional final and then winning a super on the road is not high. We all know anything can happen and Texas mystique matters in a regional, so it’s plausible just not something I’d bet on. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

If a team that is below average (at best) in every single category that matters (including having a retarded midget for a coach who insists on coaching from third base) makes a “deep run”….that’s an indictment on the sport of college baseball.

099995AD-AA54-4C2E-9357-6EDC5E0FDA79.jpeg.12d52153eb7779f0c2cc4fdd73833cc8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MirrOlure said:

Oh….I haven’t even gotten started yet. Wait until I’m not hungover anymore

You just called a team who is top 50 in the country in ERA (top 20), WHIP, fielding % (top 25), homers and borderline top 50 in slugging % “below average in every category that matters”

If you haven’t even gotten started yet then I can’t wait to see what you pull out of your ass for your next act. 

I get people don’t like Pierce and whatever everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the stuff people make up in their mind is incredible.

22 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

If a team that is below average (at best) in every single category that matters (including having a retarded midget for a coach who insists on coaching from third base) makes a “deep run”….that’s an indictment on the sport of college baseball.

This just isn’t true. The stats have been posted in the season thread, and we rank well in several categories including #9 in team era. We’ll drop in that category after this weekend, but we’ll still be above average. This team isn’t one of our best and yesterday was bad, but get a grip.

14 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So who is going to be our new closer? 

Surly we will never see Zane pitch another ninth inning again on the 40 acres, right?

I wouldn’t go that far. Like I posted with his game logs yesterday, when he is on, he is pretty much unhittable. It’s just when he doesn’t have it he can’t fight his way through for an ugly save. It completely goes off the rails. He’s only been scored upon in 3 of his 11 bullpen appearances, but all 3 were really bad. Can’t have that type of inconsistency at the closer spot.

I’m sure they will try to get him some work in a low leverage spot soon outside of the 9th inning. These are college kids so you don’t want to throw in the towel the first time they run into trouble. Hell, even Nixon had some quality appearances last year after it was obvious he didn’t have it.

Edited by Hookem2147