Texas @ Baylor: Series Thread

MuellerHorn

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Baylor is fucking terrible. 

They are. Any other team in the Big 12 would have swept us easily this weekend. No idea why we played so horribly.

But it's Baylor so we won the series. Going 2-1 against them isn't great, but not disastrous.

Hope for something better back home at the Disch next week.

I’m not going to completely dismiss what we saw this weekend because some of it was very alarming, but it feels like there are going to be a series or two like throughout a 56 game season where you play your D+/C- game and have to find a way.

We had guys do stuff this weekend that we haven’t seen all year 35+ games into the season. Maybe the mound sucked or something, maybe it was small bump in the road, maybe it’s a sign of what is to come. But baseball is a funny game where we just had the exact same scenario play out in Stillwater a few weeks ago and blew it and today we found a way.

Jared Thomas is swinging it much better, Galvan continues to get big hits. EK might be breaking out of a slump. We are about 10-14 days away from possibly getting our best pitcher back. Just keep fighting man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This Johnson guy could be molded into a pretty good pitcher. His tangibles look good. He needs a bit more control. I like that he pitches downhill. He stayed clutch in a sticky situation.

He's definitely improved from where he was last year, but his lack of consistent command is likely going to keep him from being the weekend starter we thought he could be if he maximized.

His best role is probably what he did today. 3 inning spurts, around 50-60 pitches.

Edited by Hookem2147

34 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Saved the season and possibly secured the future of mankind.

Yeah yesterday was pathetic and that is putting it lightly. Losing today would have been the train coming off the rails. Having 2019 TCU series flashbacks

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m not going to completely dismiss what we saw this weekend because some of it was very alarming, but it feels like there are going to be a series or two like throughout a 56 game season where you play your D+/C- game and have to find a way.

We had guys do stuff this weekend that we haven’t seen all year 35+ games into the season. Maybe the mound sucked or something, maybe it was small bump in the road, maybe it’s a sign of what is to come. But baseball is a funny game where we just had the exact same scenario play out in Stillwater a few weeks ago and blew it and today we found a way.

Jared Thomas is swinging it much better, Galvan continues to get big hits. EK might be breaking out of a slump. We are about 10-14 days away from possibly getting our best pitcher back. Just keep fighting man. 

Yeah this weekend was pretty bizarre. There are guys on this staff with command issues but coming into this series Texas was right around Top 50 in walks allowed in college baseball as a pitching staff and it seemingly sent like everyone but Gordon and Tole went out there with the yips

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sound about right?

Yeah.  It’s funny, but Duplantier has a better ERA than all the guys in the category above him.  That does not mean he’s to be relied on, but I’d use him as soon as I would most of those other guys.  On a Tuesday for example.  

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah.  It’s funny, but Duplantier has a better ERA than all the guys in the category above him.  That does not mean he’s to be relied on, but I’d use him as soon as I would most of those other guys.  On a Tuesday for example.  

Yep. He has allowed some inherited runners to score but has limited his own damage for the most part.

I definitely would prefer to see him over Howard, Stuart, Lummus, Grubbs or Walbridge if stuff got crazy on a Sunday and we had to go deep into the pen. 

7 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

If a team that is below average (at best) in every single category that matters (including having a retarded midget for a coach who insists on coaching from third base) makes a “deep run”….that’s an indictment on the sport of college baseball.

When you see a post by someone that thinks that is an acceptable insult to use then you can automatically discount any of its content as having any value at all

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

If a team that is below average (at best) in every single category that matters (including having a retarded midget for a coach who insists on coaching from third base) makes a “deep run”….that’s an indictment on the sport of college baseball.

Uhm…..Gus coached from third base too.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

We have a staff full of guys with command issues.

It's maddening.  I fucking pull my hair out watching this bully.  We gave up 24 runs to a 12-22 team.  We walked 22 Bears in the last 2 games of the series.  I hope that our bullpen was shitty because they got fucked up every night on those big liquor drinks at Chapter 11 but that is just optimism.

Too far into the season to be pitching like this. Stuart threw one behind a RH hitter FFS.  Can these guys really be dialed in during inter-squads and this inconsistent during games?

I know a lot of our pen has "great stuff"  but it isn't worth a lot if they can't get it near the plate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Baylor is an absolute joke of a team and almost completely devoid of talent.  Their one pitcher (Rigney) with plus stuff is sure to be injured again, and I don't think I've ever seen a Big 12 team with 2 guys with sub-.500 OPS in the starting line up halfway through the conference schedule.

It's also as easy of a road series as you're going to play - a 100-mile trip to Waco playing in front of a few hundred fans. 

Oh well, it's a done deal and winning 2 while playing horribly is better than the alternatives (sweep excepted).