Texas @ Baylor: Series Thread

MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Bullpen is fine. The pitchers used at the end of this one hardly pitch. Pierce was trying to save our better bullpen arms for the rest of the series. 

Yeah our bullpen is pretty good. Pierce took a risk sending out his backend guys.

We won. Hopefully saving the other guys pays off tomorrow and Sunday.

We do need this sweep so I guess I commend him planning for it...even if it nearly blew up in our faces.

6 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Ah yes, Somehow Texas yet again makes a win a non thrilling yet exhaustive affair. All three major sports, yea Longhorns.

Huh? The basketball team made it to the elite 8 and the baseball team made it to the CWS last year. Why are we lumping them in with the failures of the football team?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The disappointing thing is that our backend guys couldn't handle a JC team like Baylor.

That's true of any college team. Walbridge, Lummus, and Grubbs may not throw a single pitch in the postseason. 

No college team has a pitching staff that's 15 deep with good arms. Kind of crazy that Pierce had the balls to stick with it for so long but it worked out. 

That's true of any college team. Walbridge, Lummus, and Grubbs may not throw a single pitch in the postseason. 
No college team has a pitching staff that's 15 deep with good arms. Kind of crazy that Pierce had the balls to stick with it for so long but it worked out. 

I think prior to tonight Lummus and Walbridge had given up 1 run in their last 9 combined innings. That run was a homer to a guy that averages a homer every 10 ABs.

They may not pitch in the postseason, but that shouldn’t be dictated by whatever happened tonight. They may both be lefty-lefty matchup guys. I know Lummus was not used in that capacity tonight.

Our starters still aren’t going deep so until that happens you will have to steal innings. That’s what we did tonight.

And in a bit of irony, OU gave up 7 in the 10th to Tech tonight.

6 college games in 8 days with 8 in 10 is a big ask in college baseball. You take those wins and move on.
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Huh? The basketball team made it to the elite 8 and the baseball team made it to the CWS last year. Why are we lumping them in with the failures of the football team?

All teams played down to their competition a good chunk of the season. The basketball team especially in mid season (thanks Beard). Basketball looked better at the end of the season. Football not so much. Baseball absolutely has me concerned but there is some improvement. 

5 hours ago, Newdoc said:

All teams played down to their competition a good chunk of the season. The basketball team especially in mid season (thanks Beard). Basketball looked better at the end of the season. Football not so much. Baseball absolutely has me concerned but there is some improvement. 

This team doesn’t have the big bats to bury teams early. Not like last year’s team where we can put up 3 in the 1st and 4 in the 2nd and put it into cruise control.

That said, you can thoroughly beat a bad team in baseball and have the scoreboard say 5-1 at the end. Wasn’t the case last night but it happens. And the pitching aspect in baseball always make it a wildcard when it comes to “playing down to competition”. You are only as good as the guy on the mound and that changes every game, unlike football and basketball where every game starts the same.

29 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So we're all agreed then, we only play 8 inning games from now on?  

WTF was that?

Rarely used pitchers got roughed up a bit...ok a lot.

With the big lead Pierce gave the kids a shot. The kids were not alright.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hey, did y’all know that the last time BU had the tying run come to the plate was the 3rd inning? And that was with the score 3-0. We scored 20% more runs than they did.

We have all our bullpen arms available.

Wind was blowing out. Our defense missed 3 outs that I can recall. Our offense had missed opportunities. We were on the road. We were on grass. We are playing a team that has nothing to lose.

Hookems right in that we don’t have the bats to beat down the opponent. But we do have capable bats 1-9. And we actually have some ability to hit beyond those guys.

Pierce is not shitting his pants at some adversity. Letting Grubbs finish the game was a net positive. We won most importantly. But you don’t know if he’ll be called on in a crucial situation later. He will be better off in the long run for it if he is. And using him as an example, he’s pitched poorly in two games straight games. Neither impacted the final outcome. That’s one way to manage so that come season’s end your team is stronger. There are two things you don’t want come seasons end. Tired bodies and limited numbers of contributors. I’d say Pierce is doing his best job to date managing that.

• Hook 'Em 3

Can Rodriguez please adjust ODowds swing plane?   It’s a gross upper cut that only intersects the pitch plane at one point out in front of the plate.  Lots of pop ups, foul offs, and swings and misses.  Tired of seeing such a dumb approach.  Not to mention swinging at pitches in his eyes.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

You know what they say about arguing with a fool? You ain't gonna win a battle of nitwits when the other side lives in idiocy.

7 hours ago, Newdoc said:

This is such a dumb take.  I don't even know where to start, so I won't. 

Carry on being a little bitch about UT sports. You appear to be part of a population whose frustration over the last decade+ of football colors everything you see.

• Haha 2

I listened to the end of the game on the radio after leaving a concert last night and it was in the midst of the pitching change with one out in the 9th. Craig was talking about Grubbs taking it on the chin in the Tuesday game against TSU and how he gave up his only extra base hits on two double ms in the last outing. He then proceeds to give up two doubles and a two run hr. 

holy shit guys. What the ever loving fuck…