NEW Texas F00Tball training facility!!!

D3zii

That awkward moment when you call up Steve Hicks to tell him that not only is his School of Social Work being torn down, but you also need him to pony up another $37mm for the replacement facility for football.  

In all seriousness, I hope they figure out a way to get a modular, seasonal beach volleyball facility there or at Caven fields.  For attendance and support purposes, will be a damn shame if they have those matches way up at Whittaker IM fields.  Nobody will go.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That awkward moment when you call up Steve Hicks to tell him that not only is his School of Social Work being torn down, but you also need him to pony up another $37mm for the replacement facility for football.  

In all seriousness, I hope they figure out a way to get a modular, seasonal beach volleyball facility there or at Caven fields.  For attendance and support purposes, will be a damn shame if they have those matches way up at Whittaker IM fields.  Nobody will go.  

“Social work and athletics share a commitment to helping people reach their potential. It’s fitting that the Steve Hicks School of Social Work and UT Athletics enjoy a strong partnership. We celebrate opportunities for collaboration that helps our students and student-athletes thrive, on the 40 Acres and for a lifetime.” – Allan Cole, Dean, Steve Hicks School of Social Work

• Hook 'Em 1

I assume Social Work moving means they were guaranteed a brand spanking new building. Good for them. I’m all for moving them to the Bubble’s current site, but I’m not sure what UT’s plans are. Land is pretty darn expensive and limited in Austin. Especially in that part of town. Let’s hope they don’t have eyes of surly’s tailgate spot. 

This should have happened 20 years ago. This quietly might have been the Triumvirate’s greatest internal challenge. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Underground parking.  UTPD can stand down.

Parking for the players would be nice. Stupid shit like that matters when you’re 18-19 years old. 

UTPD parking boots suck shit. I caught one while I was in school and my wheel made a noise until I donated that piece of shit to charity. 

I can only image driving a gently used Maserati from the Austin VW dealership, and those parking Nazis throw a boot on it. I’d lose my mind. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I wish they’d just tear down the rec and remodel that whole two blocks for both football and a new and improved rec. Gets the players directly next to the locker room, provides more roof top field space and they could excavate down for underground parking on both blocks. I assume the price tag is too high because it seems like an obvious solution.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

How come we don't just put the practice fields in the middle of a 10,000 foot rotating cylinder with dynamic hyperbaric/hypobaric chamber, 173,000 terawatt lighting, fans, and sprinklers so that we can accurately simulate the atmospheric conditions, field and sun orientation, and elevation of where we're going to play next?

Man, “We’re Texas” would take on a new meaning.

More realistically, they could build an underground/elevated parking structure such that the field level extends above 20th. Or just close that road.

36 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Does this actually blow away other schools?

No IMO 

infinitely superior to bubble but if you’re going to upgrade then go with latest and greatest. Oregon is replacing essentially what we’re building  

Obviously we can’t fit two outdoor fields but we miss the mark with some non regulation size outdoor field. For instance Oregon announced this indoor facility last year. 

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/13/look-new-plans-renderings-of-ducks-future-indoor-practice-field-take-shape/

This is the facility they’re improving 

image.thumb.jpeg.c1e571797782e5fadbaf51ab50b24a86.jpeg

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No IMO 

infinitely superior to bubble but if you’re going to upgrade then go with latest and greatest. Oregon is replacing essentially what we’re building  

Obviously we can’t fit two outdoor fields but we miss the mark with some non regulation size outdoor field. For instance Oregon announced this indoor facility last year. 

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/13/look-new-plans-renderings-of-ducks-future-indoor-practice-field-take-shape/

This is the facility they’re improving 

image.thumb.jpeg.c1e571797782e5fadbaf51ab50b24a86.jpeg

I think the thought process is "what can we build right now that's in the right location, can expand when we get the donor horsepower there to redo the Rec, and will stop actively holding the program back ASAP." It's a medium term solution that allows for the ideal end-state solution. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think the thought process is "what can we build right now that's in the right location, can expand when we get the donor horsepower there to redo the Rec, and will stop actively holding the program back ASAP." It's a medium term solution that allows for the ideal end-state solution. 

You're probably right but as I stated in the other thread, no reason the fields shouldn't be regulation. 

image.png.f3129f91f03f08301d129564bb3e21d3.png

Just eliminate the road circled in blue and you have a ton more space to give full size field. 

No idea what the purpose of the strip is circled in red.

Could have made great use of that space circled in black.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

That Social Work building is actually pretty nice. I took placement tests there way back when it was MEC.  Can’t they just get rid of Jester or something?

You serious, Clark?  I spent a lot of time in that building, it's a shithole.  Most of the kids in that daycare have asthma from the shit in the ceilings.  It's a dank, pre-war shitheap.  Only redeeming quality is it has nice legacy oaks to the west of it.  

We really do to need to address the Jester Question though.

Don’t really get the consternation about the 80 yard outdoor field. What are they really missing out on given that there is a regulation field right there in the indoor portion, not to mention the full outdoor field a block away at DKR.

They didn’t come up with this overnight. I’m sure the narrow wing on the south is there for a good reason too.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Don’t really get the consternation about the 80 yard outdoor field. What are they really missing out on given that there is a regulation field right there in the indoor portion, not to mention the full outdoor field a block away at DKR.

They didn’t come up with this overnight. I’m sure the narrow wing on the south is there for a good reason too.

Kickoff and punt practice on a field that isn’t regulation is a big deal Imo. Especially when we convert back to grass on the main playing field when this is completed. You’re not going to want to practice on the main field with natural surface.

Go around the country and look at top teams and see if their outdoor practice field is regulation or not. I bet most are full size regulation. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Kickoffs are 65 yards from the end zone right?  Punts don’t travel 80 yards in the air. 80 yards plus two end zones seems like it’s fine. And those activities seem like they’d occupy one practice field by themselves. Maybe with the full size field you could have some line drill going  behind the kicking stuff?

i wonder if this construction also falls under the school edict about having to have art space incorporated into any construction project, like they mention in one of those lhn commercials. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Kickoffs are 65 yards from the end zone right?  Punts don’t travel 80 yards in the air. 80 yards plus two end zones seems like it’s fine. And those activities seem like they’d occupy one practice field by themselves. Maybe with the full size field you could have some line drill going  behind the kicking stuff?

i wonder if this construction also falls under the school edict about having to have art space incorporated into any construction project, like they mention in one of those lhn commercials. 

It's all about the situation preparation. 

• Hook 'Em 1