NEW Texas F00Tball training facility!!!

D3zii

On 4/15/2023 at 4:12 PM, Satchel said:

Someone from Surly should tell Georgia that they'd win more games and recruit better if their practice field wasn't 20 yards long.

georgia-610x404.jpg

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No but you tried to use that image as haha gotcha moment only to get shit on in the next post. Now you're here trying to save face with the DiD yOu tHiNk blah blah blah retort.

So if you knew my post wasn't serious, why would you assume that it was making a serious point?

And "save face"? Look at my posting history. I'm way beyond saving.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, TotallyLegit said:

So if you knew my post wasn't serious, why would you assume that it was making a serious point?

And "save face"? Look at my posting history. I'm way beyond saving.

In all fairness the Georgia facility does not have a huge "G" on the roof that is visible from space. Our place will have that massive logo on the roof to remind astronauts and drone pilots that this is Longhorn country bitches!

31 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

In all fairness the Georgia facility does not have a huge "G" on the roof that is visible from space. Our place will have that massive logo on the roof to remind astronauts and drone pilots that this is Longhorn country bitches!

The Georgia G on the roof is probably part of a "modular" strategy I've been hearing all about. Notice how Georgia started with 20 yards of field that included a Georgia G. This was a shrewd way to optimize the short-term cost-benefit ratio.

Next Phase: Extend field from 20 to 120 yards. In addition to being a good idea for bragging rights, it also helped them minimize costs since football fields are sold wholesale in units of 100 yards.

Final Phase: Georgia G on roof.

Seems like they have their priorities in order. I wouldn't be surprised if they collaborated with at least one of the big four practice facility consulting firms.

On 4/16/2023 at 1:00 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I agree. LBJ’s parking lot is excessively huge. I’ve never seen it close to being half full. Even on game days. I assume the library controls the land, and not UT. Otherwise, they would have utilized the space long ago. 

The LBJ library takes up a fuckton of valuable land that can be used for football. Has a Presidential Library ever moved locations before? Just make some fancy new buildings at the Pickle Research Campus and move it over there. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MrBig said:

The LBJ library takes up a fuckton of valuable land that can be used for football. Has a Presidential Library ever moved locations before? Just make some fancy new buildings at the Pickle Research Campus and move it over there. 

I'm sure the family wouldn't approve that plan. I will say the library needs to get nudged on that parking lot. They probably only need a 1/4 of that surface space. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Honestly, the new facility literally couldn't be in a better location. Big thing seems to be waiting for another financial push to expand the block to the one the Rec is on now and integrating it with a new Rec.

36 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's 100 percent on brand for the state of Texas in 2023 to tear down the School of Social Work to build football practice fields. I laughed too hard at that

We will build a fantastic new School of Social Work.  One that the football team can be proud of. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The Georgia G on the roof is probably part of a "modular" strategy I've been hearing all about. Notice how Georgia started with 20 yards of field that included a Georgia G. This was a shrewd way to optimize the short-term cost-benefit ratio.
Next Phase: Extend field from 20 to 120 yards. In addition to being a good idea for bragging rights, it also helped them minimize costs since football fields are sold wholesale in units of 100 yards.
Final Phase: Georgia G on roof.
Seems like they have their priorities in order. I wouldn't be surprised if they collaborated with at least one of the big four practice facility consulting firms.

So, there is a “G” spot? I knew it!!1! No wonder Surly couldn’t find it, it’s in Georgia!

On 4/16/2023 at 2:30 PM, David Dennison said:

You would think by now he would understand the crippling despair felt by all Texas fans when co-workers and aggy make fun of facilities best suited for poors.

That shit needs to look like Versailles.

If you give anything aggy says an ounce of credibility then that's on you. 

After looking at the rendering of the new practice facility to me it looks like a warehouse of Burnet road. My reaction was that being that close to the Moody Center the practice facility should have the similar look an feel. After taking a closer look it may be the render artist sucks (i.e. leaving stadium out) because it seems it is going to share a panel look.

Moody Center

moody-center-basketball-and-events-area-

Practice facility.

fbindoor_rendering4_5MFPw.jpg

Edited by DanTheHorn

16 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

After looking at the rendering of the new practice facility to me it looks like a warehouse of Burnet road. My reaction was that being that close to the Moody Center the practice facility should have the similar look an feel. After taking a closer look it may be the render artist sucks (i.e. leaving stadium out) because it seems it is going to share a panel look.

Moody Center

Practice facility.

fbindoor_rendering4_5MFPw.jpg

My favorite part of the rendering is all of the orange people who are wandering aimlessly in random directions spaced all along the sidewalk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The two obvious complaints (which I share) are the short outdoor field and the lack of architectural cohesion with campus. Both problems are possibly due to a misguided desire to announce a "plan" before the spring game. The first problem may be difficult or impossible to fix in the short term, but the second is obviously fixable.

When Jenna Wenaas transferred here, I started following her TikTok (for research purposes), and when Minnesota Volleyball played here in the tournament, they snarked about playing in the rec center, but they otherwise thought the place was gorgeous.

They were right about both. It's one thing to be constrained by real estate, and it's another to build anything on the 40 acres that looks like it was built by Palm Harbor homes. We can't do both.

Edited by TotallyLegit

Legit question-at what height to stop the plexiglass?  Like you don't want errantly thrown/kicked balls to get out to the street.  And at other heights, it cuts down on the breeze that might not only provide players some reprieve, but also eliminate the real effects of a much larger-open aired stadium for the passing game?  

And then I'm not saying I'll do this, but I might be saying I won't not not do this.  Can the spray painted word "BUSCAR" be easily cleaned off of it?  

2 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:

The two obvious complaints (which I share) are the short outdoor field and the lack of architectural cohesion with campus. Both problems are possibly due to a misguided desire to announce a "plan" before the spring game. The first problem may be difficult or impossible to fix in the short term, but the second is obviously fixable.

When Jenna Wenaas transferred here, I started following her TikTok (for research purposes), and when Minnesota Volleyball played here in the tournament, they snarked about playing in the rec center, but they otherwise thought the place was gorgeous.

They were right about both. It's one thing to be constrained by real estate, and it's another to build anything on the 40 acres that looks like it was built by Palm Harbor homes. We can't do both.

agree, degenerate postmodern barn deco basking in shadow of DKR's former glory 

On 4/18/2023 at 2:04 PM, TotallyLegit said:

I’ve toured the Minny campus more than once. Some of their building are nice, but overall, the campus has no “feel” to it.

On the other hand, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder…

image.thumb.jpeg.998943609fd504701508bafdb831f4b8.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ve toured the Minny campus more than once. Some of their building are nice, but overall, the campus has no “feel” to it.

Minny and Kansas felt really similar to me in that regard to me. Nice buildings, in suprisingly fun cities (different scales of course), no "there" there to the campuses. Just kind of randomly strewn about. At least Minnesota has a real quad.

• Like 1

Massive crew removing the Turf Grass from the outdoor Denius Fields, FWIW.  Could just be once-every-five year kinda maintenance but I know they don't do this every year.  On a humid day like today, you can literally smell the mold dissipating off the Bubble.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

UT destroyed one of the prettiest outdoor areas on campus to accommodate that ugly POS, and ruined our longtime family tailgate spot that had a beautiful view through the row of trees down to the Capitol.

1F7199B6-4562-4628-AE75-7B0F5E69E249.jpeg

28E305AB-A037-4CBF-A333-1DCA91EB8A41.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

it seriously looks like the entrance to a bunker... are there elevators/stairs in there that travel down 10 stories to a command center?

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Yep, beautiful 90 year old historic buildings don’t mean a thing to the current administration.

9ADDD0FF-D900-4571-9661-7B76EC1CA443.jpeg

wow, that actually looks like it conforms to the architectural standards of the campus... who woulda thunk.

• Like 1

It has some aesthetically exterior merits, but I assure you that thing is an absolute shitshow on the inside.  Even if we could magically place a training facility somewhere else and teleport the players, this thing was coming down anyway.  Just too expensive and cumbersome to rehab the inside.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

It has some aesthetically exterior merits, but I assure you that thing is an absolute shitshow on the inside.  Even if we could magically place a training facility somewhere else and teleport the players, this thing was coming down anyway.  Just too expensive and cumbersome to rehab the inside.  

Welll, I haven’t been inside there since the Kennedy Administration. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah I think Gregory was a one off. All new major rehabs are going to be tear downs. Hell the Tower is built on the site of old main and the only thing we kept from it were the Burleson bells.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:36 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

This is the Capitol view by Blanton Museum that thing killed… 

(early morning sun glare obscured the building) 

2909B009-BE92-4621-8B7C-4DDC52DF8964.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat