Dallas Stars 2023 Playoffs Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don’t think he gets the credit he should. Here’s a pretty good Top 20 list of names from John Buccigross from 2020. Pavelski wasn’t included. I wonder if he’s bumped anybody in Bucci’s mind at this point. Matthew Tkachuk might’ve forced himself into the equation, especially if he’s holding the Cup in 2-3 weeks.

https://es.pn/2HtgPiV

Yeah I saw that list, too. Pavs isn't that unlike someone like Jimmy Butler (NBA) who I think is also going to be hard to asses after his career. i.e. very good not amazing career traditional metrics wise but elevates himself to much higher levels in the playoffs. 

Edited by ztejas

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I saw that list, too. Pavs isn't that unlike someone like Jimmy Butler (NBA) who I think is also going to be hard to asses after his career. i.e. very good not amazing career traditional metrics wise but elevates himself to much higher levels in the playoffs. 

He’s currently 11th in points for American players and with a decent year next year will move to 6th. He won’t be catching the top 5 who are a couple hundred points clear of everyone.  

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s currently 11th in points for American players and with a decent year next year will move to 6th. He won’t be catching the top 5 who are a couple hundred points clear of everyone.  

I feel like I saw he's either 1st or 2nd in playoff points, though. 

I’ve always thought of him a slam-dunk HOF’er but then went and looked at Hockey Reference a year or two back and his strength has been consistency and being healthy. His all-time best scoring season was last year. This year is like his third or fourth best. He’s only appeared on one postseason NHL All-Star Team (their version of All-Pro or All-NBA teams).

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

So, more hockey. Awesome. Win the next one, see where this shit goes. Glad we weren't Carolina. 

The good news for us and the bad news for Vegas is i think we're kinda waking up to their game. Maybe too late, but i do like our chances to at least make it interesting

Yep. One game at a time. Who knows?

• Hook 'Em 1

That's all you can win. The next game. If tonight was any indicator, maybe we'll fuck some shit up. Maybe we'll be good enough to make them sweat it. That's kinda the blessing and the curse going forward. Are we the better team going forward? According to me, absolutely. Are we going to win? Probably not. Can we? Absolutely. And that's the best part. It's probably wishcasting but I'm hoping we take this to 7. Maybe we don't go forward, but as I've said before, our window is wide open. If it's not our year it will be soon

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I feel like I saw he's either 1st or 2nd in playoff points, though. 

46 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

They said first in goals on the broadcast tonight. 

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Thanks. 

So, yeah. I feel like most goals in the playoffs by an American is pretty huge. 

Pavelski is tops in playoff goals scored by an American with 73 (T-14 all-time). Joe Mullen is second at 60 and Modano is third with 58.

Modano is the top American in playoff points with 146, 34th on the all-time list. Chris Chelios is next with 144. Patrick Kane is third with 138, one ahead of Pavelski's 137 after tonight's OT goal.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

ScreenShot2023-05-26at12_41_08AM.thumb.png.9442754808c9463a516efb10c01ae2cf.png

Ric definitely didn't disappoint:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/37731061

That was so damn funny when that came on. I said, "Damn, that dude looks a lot like Ric Flair and he's doing the Ric Flair 'Woo' thing perfect." Then I looked closer and said, "Shit, that IS Ric Flair. ... What is he doing there and why is he wearing a Max Domi sweater!"

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That was so damn funny when that came on. I said, "Damn, that dude looks a lot like Ric Flair and he's doing the Ric Flair 'Woo' thing perfect." Then I looked closer and said, "Shit, that IS Ric Flair. ... What is he doing there and why is he wearing a Max Domi sweater!"

I could have written the exact same paragraph but replaced all names with Mike Tyson. 

No, seriously wtf. Doesn't he live in Vegas? Super confused. Maybe there's a wrasslin' convention in town tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Man i ramble when I'm drunk and happy and high. And on that note i love you fuckers. Heh

We're gonna be just fine, baby. 

And we aren't quite dead yet. 

Go Stars Go you motherfuckers. 

57 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’ve always thought of him a slam-dunk HOF’er but then went and looked at Hockey Reference a year or two back and his strength has been consistency and being healthy. His all-time best scoring season was last year. This year is like his third or fourth best. He’s only appeared on one postseason NHL All-Star Team (their version of All-Pro or All-NBA teams).

If he could get to 500 goals he could have a shot.  why Tkachuk isn't in I'm not sure.

8 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

That's all you can win. The next game. If tonight was any indicator, maybe we'll fuck some shit up. Maybe we'll be good enough to make them sweat it. That's kinda the blessing and the curse going forward. Are we the better team going forward? According to me, absolutely. Are we going to win? Probably not. Can we? Absolutely. And that's the best part. It's probably wishcasting but I'm hoping we take this to 7. Maybe we don't go forward, but as I've said before, our window is wide open. If it's not our year it will be soon

I don't think we are the better team but 3 OT games in 4 says anything can happen.  Jake needs to step it up a notch to really have a shot.

That was fun last night.  If we can't make it happen Saturday glad we got to leave the AAC last time on a high note.  But win and things start to get really interesting.   Hill has been playing out of his mind.  Can he keep it up?  He was giving up a lot of rebounds last night that just couldn't find a stick (including a perfect bounce to them leading to a breakaway).   I think he starts coming back to earth Saturday and we're closing out Memorial Day at the AAC Monday night.

7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I could have written the exact same paragraph but replaced all names with Mike Tyson. 

No, seriously wtf. Doesn't he live in Vegas? Super confused. Maybe there's a wrasslin' convention in town tomorrow. 

Sounds like they might be buddies with Tie Domi. That would track as they're all either meatheads or play/"perform" in meathead sports.

48 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

If he could get to 500 goals he could have a shot.  why Tkachuk isn't in I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's a little odd. He's got the numbers to be in. His teams never did much, though he spent half his career with old Winnipeg and then Phoenix. I think he only was on teams that won three playoff series in his entire career. He played in one conference final.

Maybe Jeremy Roenick black-balled him. LOL. Pretty sure Tkachuck's shenanigans that led to Derian Hatcher forcing JR to subsist on a liquid diet back in 1999. IIRC, a dangerous/dirty play by Tkachuk hurt Modano but it could've been much worse (eye injury, maybe). The Stars were chirping pretty bad about the dirtiness of the hit so Tkachuk basically said, "If they're so mad, tell them to do something about it." Hatcher annihilated JR in a late-season game and got suspended for seven games. FAFO, I guess. /shrug

30 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That was fun last night.  If we can't make it happen Saturday glad we got to leave the AAC last time on a high note.  But win and things start to get really interesting.   Hill has been playing out of his mind.  Can he keep it up?  He was giving up a lot of rebounds last night that just couldn't find a stick (including a perfect bounce to them leading to a breakaway).   I think he starts coming back to earth Saturday and we're closing out Memorial Day at the AAC Monday night.

Man, he was plenty good last night too. He's showing little signs of cracking. I can't remember who said it but they thought he was playing his best game last night. Look at the three goals -- the first was a wild, double-whack out of mid-air by Robo. Hill had his glove on the puck but Robo whacked it out with the stick and then hit it in out of mid-air. The second was a loose puck off a blast from further out that Robo just lunged at instinctively and got it into the net before Hill could recover. (Finally, Robo didn't hesitate, which has been his problem in the playoffs IMO.) The third was an insane one-timer from Captain America back across the grain for the game-winner in OT.

So, more hockey. Awesome. Win the next one, see where this shit goes. Glad we weren't Carolina. 
The good news for us and the bad news for Vegas is i think we're kinda waking up to their game. Maybe too late, but i do like our chances to at least make it interesting
The issue for this team has been consistency.

Olofsson in the lineup was interesting to watch. He had the 2nd most shots on the team with 5 in 10 min of ice time.
For reference Robo had 11 shots with between 19 and 21 minutes of ice time. I'm not sure if TOI includes the PP TOI or not.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Man, he was plenty good last night too. He's showing little signs of cracking. I can't remember who said it but they thought he was playing his best game last night. Look at the three goals -- the first was a wild, double-whack out of mid-air by Robo. Hill had his glove on the puck but Robo whacked it out with the stick and then hit it in out of mid-air. The second was a loose puck off a blast from further out that Robo just lunged at instinctively and got it into the net before Hill could recover. (Finally, Robo didn't hesitate, which has been his problem in the playoffs IMO.) The third was an insane one-timer from Captain America back across the grain for the game-winner in OT.

Don't get me wrong - he was awesome last night.  I'm just hoping he's due for a bad game.  I think it was the second period in particular though where he was giving up a lot of rebounds.  We just never had anyone at the right place in the right time to make him pay.   He tightened back up and played well down the stretch.

Really both goalies played great last night.  That was by far Otter's best game of the series.  He made a save in the first to keep it 1-0 that was huge.   We go down 2-0 at that point and that's probably church.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sounds like they might be buddies with Tie Domi. That would track as they're all either meatheads or play/"perform" in meathead sports.

Yeah, that's a little odd. He's got the numbers to be in. His teams never did much, though he spent half his career with old Winnipeg and then Phoenix. I think he only was on teams that won three playoff series in his entire career. He played in one conference final.

Maybe Jeremy Roenick black-balled him. LOL. Pretty sure Tkachuck's shenanigans that led to Derian Hatcher forcing JR to subsist on a liquid diet back in 1999. IIRC, a dangerous/dirty play by Tkachuk hurt Modano but it could've been much worse (eye injury, maybe). The Stars were chirping pretty bad about the dirtiness of the hit so Tkachuk basically said, "If they're so mad, tell them to do something about it." Hatcher annihilated JR in a late-season game and got suspended for seven games. FAFO, I guess. /shrug

I think it was JR himself that boarded modano in Phoenix back when they had that super inflexible seamless glass, and separated his shoulder. 

with a win tomorrow, would pete have the stones to scratch his captain?  Nah, probably think benn will be looking to make amends, or at least might draw a call or two as retaliation.  I doubt either will happen. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think it was JR himself that boarded modano in Phoenix back when they had that super inflexible seamless glass, and separated his shoulder. 

with a win tomorrow, would pete have the stones to scratch his captain?  Nah, probably think benn will be looking to make amends, or at least might draw a call or two as retaliation.  I doubt either will happen. 

Yes, you're right. But it was definitely Tkachuk who said if the Stars were mad they should do something about it. So they did. There's a phenomenal JR quote that I can't quite remember about that deal where he sarcastically "thanked" his teammate for daring the Stars to retaliate.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Yes, you're right. But it was definitely Tkachuk who said if the Stars were mad they should do something about it. So they did. There's a phenomenal JR quote that I can't quite remember about that deal where he sarcastically "thanked" his teammate for daring the Stars to retaliate.

He thanked him several weeks later, because I'm pretty sure he had his jaw wired shut. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

How we feeling about tonight?  Is it weird I have a little confidence heading into this one?

Pressure is on Vegas to close it out at home.   Steal this one it's series on!  Nothing will surprise me but like our chances as well.

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

How we feeling about tonight?  Is it weird I have a little confidence heading into this one?

Personally I think we're fucked. But I don't know anything about hockey. 

Let's see what happens. 

6SI.gif.bbebab6863e710d19a6c0cc7a4b69236.gif