Dallas Stars 2023 Playoffs Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

5 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Otter needs to get himself right before next season. Not been a great playoffs for him

I think Otter is who he is.  If he is our guy we need better D around him and a real backup that can give him some rest.

he's not the kind of guy to stand on his head for a bunch of games.  He's solid but that's about it.

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

How is this team in the conference finals? Playing awful and with no passion.

Got lucky to play a young Kraken team last round. Stars aren’t a legit cup contender with this Ponzi scheme roster construction of all the money going to washed players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This ain’t on Otter tonight. Defense is just dreadful.

Lol. A few of their goals were awful goaltending. Otter is not that good. He’s no Turco and definitely no Eagle, and never will be. How many games where he gives up 4 are you going to say it isn’t on him?  

I’m fine if I never see Benn or Seguin in a Stars uni again. I don’t care about contracts. We’re never going to take the next step with those has-beens infecting this roster. I’m also fine if a never see any defensemen not named Heiskanen on this roster going forward. And Miro was absolute dog shit this whole series. 

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

But ...but.  We have Jim Nill.

"Nill" being the operative word.

Nill is the reason for basically all of our young studs. He gave Benn and Seguin their contracts but trashed them in the media, probably before the delicate fan base was ready for him to do so. And he was dead right and aside from a mini resurgence where he still failed to crack 80 points, Benn has been a 3rd or 4th line talent the last 5 years. For Seguin it’s been the last 4 years and I’m that time he’s displayed much less talent than Benn. Nill never could’ve envisioned neither of his marquee talents wouldn’t break 78 points in their last 9 seasons. That’s not on him. 

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:
Nill is the reason for basically all of our young studs. He gave Benn and Seguin their contracts but trashed them in the media, probably before the delicate fan base was ready for him to do so. And he was dead right and aside from a mini resurgence where he still failed to crack 80 points, Benn has been a 3rd or 4th line talent the last 5 years. For Seguin it’s been the last 4 years and I’m that time he’s displayed much less talent than Benn. Nill never could’ve envisioned neither of his marquee talents wouldn’t break 78 points in their last 9 seasons. That’s not on him. 

Seguin hasn’t been the same since he got hurt back 2019 or 2020. He’s lost any explosiveness that he had left.

I didn’t watch the third period but three of the four Vegas goals in the first two periods were atrocious defensive efforts or egregious turnovers that led to an odd-man rush.

I don’t know what Otter will ultimately be. I’m hoping he’s better than Turco, who never lived back up to his first couple of seasons. Hell of a nice guy though and not your typical goalie — those dudes are usually very, very strange. I thought Otter was a franchise goalie when the playoffs started. I’m admittedly less sure than I was a month ago but he is young and the defense was eviscerated at times this playoffs.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Seguin hasn’t been the same since he got hurt back 2019 or 2020. He’s lost any explosiveness that he had left.

I didn’t watch the third period but three of the four Vegas goals in the first two periods were atrocious defensive efforts or egregious turnovers that led to an odd-man rush.

I don’t know what Otter will ultimately be. I’m hoping he’s better than Turco, who never lived back up to his first couple of seasons. Hell of a nice though and not your typical — those dudes are usually very, very strange dudes. I thought Otter was a franchise goalie when the playoffs started. I’m admittedly less sure than I was a month ago but he is young and the defense was eviscerated at times this playoffs.

You’re right about that. Marty is about as good and normal of a dude out there. 

Wasn’t it the owner and not Nil that “trashed” those two in the media?
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

How many more seasons in Stars jerseys before it is on him?

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Dumbshit Beeper thinks he only played 3. 

?  I was joking because he played 42 seconds of ice time. I thought it was fairly obvious a joke, and also obvious I’m no Benn fan. 

2 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

No. It was Nill. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

How many more seasons in Stars jerseys before it is on him?

Several more I guess. I mean the only thing that really changed between last year and this year is DeBoer and the continued progression of our young guys. Both are Nill. 

2 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

It was Nill as Porterhouse said.

Here's the report card from Game 6. Miro Heiskanen was the worst player on the ice last night.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 8.24.50 AM.png

35 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

No. It was Nill. 

Several more I guess. I mean the only thing that really changed between last year and this year is DeBoer and the continued progression of our young guys. Both are Nill. 

yeah true... I do still like the DeBoer hire and the young guys both here and coming show more hope. I'm still just pissed at how flat we came out last night which isn't on Nill.

Still a great season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

yeah true... I do still like the DeBoer hire and the young guys both here and coming show more hope. I'm still just pissed at how flat we came out last night which isn't on Nill.
Still a great season.

I’m 100% Team DeBoer. Best coach we’ve had since Dave Tippett.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It's crazy to think how much losing Johns hurt the blueline of this team.
Then you lose Oleksiak in the expansion draft thinking you might be able to convince him to still sign with you since he was a UFA.
Then Klingberg's agent oversold his value and we couldn't afford him.

The Seguin and Benn contracts suck now because we aren't getting the players they were. At the time the structure term and cap hit were pretty friendly for their market. They fell off far faster than you would have hoped.

Otter was great last year but too many times this season he let in 3 and 4 goals. That could be due to the downgrade with the blueline and DeBoers style compared to Bones.
Wedgewood looked better last year, but again that could have been different systems between the coaches and the blueline in front.

I like what Dadanov has brought so far.
Marchment started off okay but seems like he was largely invisible.
I like Domi but I don't know if this team can afford him.
We're stuck with Suter for another year.

• Hook 'Em 2

It was Jim Lites, not Nil, but you can't expect a waterhead like PH to make that distinction.

I looked it up last night and it was Lites at one point and Nil essentially agreed with the message but not the way it was delivered. Then Gaglardi also made a statement about wanting more from those two.

Bottom line we need/needed more from those two considering what they’re being paid.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

It was Nill as Porterhouse said.

Here's the report card from Game 6. Miro Heiskanen was the worst player on the ice last night.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 8.24.50 AM.png

It was pretty obvious. Heiskanen looked absolutely lost out there last night. I don't know if he was injured, sick, sick of playing, or what. But was definitely not the same player last night.

It's pretty stupid to blame this loss on Seguin or Benn. I know it's fun to hop on those two, but LOTS of players contributed to that skull fucking last night. If you watched the whole season including playoffs, those two were pretty instrumental in getting us as far as we got. Only stupid, casual fans (or trolls) would say shit like we should have played Olofsson over Benn.

Now hearing Otter may have been playing injured. If true one wonders if we would have been better with Wedgie in there.

The good news, despite a few bad contracts (I'm betting we buy out Suter), we're set up for the foreseeable future. The great thing is Nill can go into next season with minor tweaks to the roster and we'll be just as good, if not better, than this season. Disappointing to have it end like that, for sure, but we have not reached the ceiling yet. Two conference finals in three seasons is definitely something to build off of. I'm fine with continuing to fly under the radar as long we eventually emerge.

Despite it all, it was a really fun season. Until next time, go Stars!

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It's pretty stupid to blame this loss on Seguin or Benn. I know it's fun to hop on those two, but LOTS of players contributed to that skull fucking last night. If you watched the whole season including playoffs, those two were pretty instrumental in getting us as far as we got. 

Agreed.  But man both had a bad series.  Benn obviously given the ejection/suspension but pretty sure Seguin didn't register a single point.  But both are still valuable players.  Just not at that price point.  It is what it is unfortunately.  I'll be interested to see what they do with Suter.  For all the hate he gets (much of it deserved) he has absolutely no business playing this many minutes at 38.  There is still value there with the right role.