Dallas Stars 2023 Playoffs Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

That clip didn't capture the best part which was when asked what he could have done differently he said "I would liked to not fall on him and use my stick as a landing point".  LOL.

I mean I completely understand that he said it as a defense in advance of the hearing this afternoon hoping he somehow avoids suspension, and if it was even REMOTELY a gray area regarding intent it would be the right statement to make, but that defense combined with the replay is just laughable.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That clip didn't capture the best part which was when asked what he could have done differently he said "I would liked to not fall on him and use my stick as a landing point".  LOL.

I mean I completely understand that he said it as a defense in advance of the hearing this afternoon hoping he somehow avoids suspension, and if it was even REMOTELY a gray area regarding intent it would be the right statement to make, but that defense combined with the replay is just laughable.  

yeah, he had all night to come up with a better excuse.. he uses that at the safety meeting and they are liable to tack on another game or two

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

yeah, he had all night to come up with a better excuse.. he uses that at the safety meeting and they are liable to tack on another game or two

Benn coming off just like the meathead most assume he is.  I don't know if the Stars didn't put a PR person in front of him, or if he refused to meet with them, but that sure was something after sleeping on it.

yeah... 5 min major and ejection, I should have watched the angle before spouting off.

Also, I didn't have a problem with him not addressing the media last night, but I thought for sure he would have at least prepared when he spoke today. Yikes.

Domi fined for this slash

I couldn't find another angle but I assume this was the slash in question and because the refs missed it and it was so late in the game they gave him the fine? I don't know how the "spin the wheel" of enforcement works.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Probably not conciliatory enough, or apologetic to his teammates, but at least it's something.

It was the least he could do. 

Literally, that was the absolutely smallest amount of effort that he could have made to address his performance last night.

6 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The next day and I still can't get over Benn's actions... rewatching in slow-mo or realtime doesn't matter, it's just brain dead awful. Not that it matters any more, but the league is going to give him 3 games for it and I can't argue with it. Such a sour note to likely end the season on.

I don’t ever want to see him in a Stars uniform again. 

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Razor on with the Musers thinks Oettinger was perhaps ridden too hard during the regular season and is now playing poorly due to fatigue.

Fuck that. He’s been awful awful awful most of the playoffs. Fatigue doesn’t capture all the shitty goaltending we’ve seen even beginning with the Wild series. 

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

My son had a band concert last night, so I mercifully didn't get to watch a minute of that abortion.  

Never been so fucking happy that my son is a band nerd.*

* He's also a soccer nerd who scored the GWG in the Austin Super Cup Saturday.  #notsohumblebrag

Huh. Band and soccer. Dynamic nerd combo.image.gif.153a5aad84c2189431a03abfd35e8bdf.gif 

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

I've been thinking the same.  Our awful defense (see goal #1 last night, goal #2 Sunday) has not been doing him favors the last 2 series but he hasn't been covering up those mistakes with huge saves like we have seen him do.  He's young, and yes, was way overworked down the stretch unfortunately.  In some ways it's impressive we made it this far with inconsistent/poor play from some of our better players throughout the playoffs. 

Defense isn’t near the problem that shit goaltending is. He isn’t what we thought he was. 

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t ever want to see him in a Stars uniform again. 

Fuck that. He’s been awful awful awful most of the playoffs. Fatigue doesn’t capture all the shitty goaltending we’ve seen even beginning with the Wild series. 

Huh. Band and soccer. Dynamic nerd combo.image.gif.153a5aad84c2189431a03abfd35e8bdf.gif 

Defense isn’t near the problem that shit goaltending is. He isn’t what we thought he was. 

I’m not really understanding some of this post. Fatigue could absolutely have something to do with this. It might also be why DeBoer pulled the plug quickly in Game 6 vs Seattle in order to have Oettinger as fresh as possible for Game 7 and he was terrific in that one. Razor pointed out Hellebuyck with Winnipeg looked wiped out in the first round against Vegas. I think he started like 64 games for the Jets.

I’d love to see the Stars get a better #2 netminder to pair with Otter for next season. We’re pot committed there so might as well give him some help and see what he really is moving forward. Better defense in front of him would be nice too. Vegas’ goalie is a journeyman at best and likely no better than Cassidy’s #3 choice if everybody was healthy and he looks like fucking Patrick Roy+Marty Brodeur back behind the Knights’ pack of six stud defenders.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’m not really understanding some of this post. Fatigue could absolutely have something to do with this. It might also be why DeBoer pulled the plug quickly in Game 6 vs Seattle in order to have Oettinger as fresh as possible for Game 7 and he was terrific in that one. Razor pointed out Hellebuyck with Winnipeg looked wiped out in the first round against Vegas. I think he started like 64 games for the Jets.

I’d love to see the Stars get a better #2 netminder to pair with Otter for next season. We’re pot committed there so might as well give him some help and see what he really is moving forward. Better defense in front of him would be nice too. Vegas’ goalie is a journeyman at best and likely no better than Cassidy’s #3 choice if everybody was healthy and he looks like fucking Patrick Roy+Marty Brodeur back behind the Knights’ pack of six stud defenders.

I don’t really understand why you post the same things about Robo 89 times in this thread as if we have somehow forgotten how you feel about him (despite the fact he’s been the lone bright spot for this team this series). 

I can’t explain to you how bad some of the goals he’s given up are. You should instantly recognize it. It’s not fatigue.  Fatigue is the nice excuse-laden manner Razor handles most players not named Benn. Bob does not feel the same way, at all, and if you do you’re a moron. 

18 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Hynamic nerd combo.image.gif.153a5aad84c2189431a03abfd35e8bdf.gif 

He's 24 in his 2nd season as an NHL starter.  Tap the brakes dude.   And the defense in front of him has been absolute garbage the last 2 series.  Constant odd man rushes, turnovers, etc. etc.  He hasn't picked them up but we have 1 elite defenseman and a bunch of JAG's.

Jake may or may not be a long term answer but that's some reactionary BS.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ha, so all your yapping last night was because you hadn’t actually seen the play. That is fucking awesome. 
I saw the one angle live but was busy for most of the first period. So yeah, walking away from the game and getting text updates based on what looked like a dumb two minute minor didn't register the need to go back and look at something I had already seen.

1 minute ago, vtaenz said:
10 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:
Ha, so all your yapping last night was because you hadn’t actually seen the play. That is fucking awesome. 

I saw the one angle live but was busy for most of the first period. So yeah, walking away from the game and getting text updates based on what looked like a dumb two minute minor didn't register the need to go back and look at something I had already seen.

Let's not completely derail this, but cmon....  If you are going to have a minority opinion on the single biggest play of the playoffs (and likely an all-time playoff legacy play for Benn), you might want to actually watch a replay before going to a message board with your hot take.  LOL.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t really understand why you post the same things about Robo 89 times in this thread as if we have somehow forgotten how you feel about him (despite the fact he’s been the lone bright spot for this team this series). 

I can’t explain to you how bad some of the goals he’s given up are. You should instantly recognize it. It’s not fatigue.  Fatigue is the nice excuse-laden manner Razor handles most players not named Benn. Bob does not feel the same way, at all, and if you do you’re a moron. 

So are you just saying Otter sucks or what explanation are you going with?

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So are you just saying Otter sucks or what explanation are you going with?

He’s been bad in the playoffs. It’s not the defense. It’s not fatigue. He hasnt played well. That’s not reactionary. Repetitive ding dong is going to be critical of Robo and give Otter a pass and that makes sense to y’all. Weird thread. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

He’s been bad in the playoffs. It’s not the defense. It’s not fatigue. He hasnt played well. That’s not reactionary. Repetitive ding dong is going to be critical of Robo and give Otter a pass and that makes sense to y’all. Weird thread. 

Robo has played better this series but certainly hasn't been dominant.  Otter probably still has more quality games than Robo over the playoffs.  Which really isn't saying much at all because neither of them have played anywhere close to what is expected of them and the response from both next season (and really in next years playoffs) will be big storylines for this team.  I'm not ready to give up on either yet but next year is a big season for both.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Robo has played better this series but certainly hasn't been dominant.  Otter probably still has more quality games than Robo over the playoffs.  Which really isn't saying much at all because neither of them have played anywhere close to what is expected of them and the response from both next season (and really in next years playoffs) will be big storylines for this team.  I'm not ready to give up on either yet but next year is a big season for both.

I never said Robo was dominant. He’s definitely been better than Otter overall though. 

27 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I never said Robo was dominant. He’s definitely been better than Otter overall though. 

It’s not my theory. It’s Razor’s — and I found it interesting so I shared it with the class. As bad as Oettinger has been, he’s got substantially more playoff skins than Robertson. Oettinger is a big reason why the Stars are in the conference finals this season. Meanwhile, Robertson has been largely invisible for long stretches. My issue with Robertson is that he’s baby-shit soft for a guy who is 6-3/200 but you can probably say that about just about anybody on this team at the moment. He’s got two even-strength goals in 23 career playoff games.

34 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It’s not my theory. It’s Razor’s — and I found it interesting so I shared it with the class. As bad as Oettinger has been, he’s got substantially more playoff skins than Robertson. Oettinger is a big reason why the Stars are in the conference finals this season. Meanwhile, Robertson has been largely invisible for long stretches. My issue with Robertson is that he’s baby-shit soft for a guy who is 6-3/200 but you can probably say that about just about anybody on this team at the moment. He’s got two even-strength goals in 23 career playoff games.

You know Otter didn’t win a series last year. I don’t know what these skins are you’re talking about. He was pulled from what, 4 games in 2.5 series?  Despite being pulled his GAA exceeds 3 and his save % is less than 90%. He’s had exactly 1 dominant game this playoffs, with 2 decent performances on the heels of stifling defense. 2 of those 3 performances were against an offensively challenged Wild squad. He had two other decent performances against the Kraken with 2 goals given up apiece. He has 11 (of 16) shit games with 3-5 goals given up and in 4 of those he was pulled. 

By any metric, he’s been terrible and a big reason why we’ll lose the WCF - the biggest reason. Meanwhile Robo has 15 points in 16 games - only Roope and Pavs have outperformed him - and you won’t shut the fuck up about him. 

Edited by Porterhouse

6 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

You know Otter didn’t win a series last year. I don’t know what these skins are you’re talking about. He was pulled from what, 4 games in 2.5 series?  Despite being pulled his GAA exceeds 3 and his save % is less than 90%. He’s had exactly 1 dominant game this playoffs, with 2 decent performances on the heels of stifling defense. 2 of those 3 performances were against an offensively challenged Wild squad. He had two other decent performances against the Kraken with 2 goals given up apiece. He has 11 (of 16) shit games with 3-5 goals given up and in 4 of those he was pulled. 

By any metric, he’s been terrible and a big reason why we’ll lose the WCF - the biggest reason. Meanwhile Robo has 15 points in 16 games - only Roope and Pavs have outperformed him - and you won’t shut the fuck up about him. 

I think Otter’s been pulled three times this postseason, which is three more than I would’ve expected when the playoffs started. Oh, and Otter had an insane .954 save percentage against Calgary and is the only reason that series went seven games.

We have a lot of guys who have no-showed this series, including Miro Heiskanen, and Otter hasn’t cleaned up the mess in the back like he’s done in the past.

Edited by C-Man

Otter was completely fine the MN series.  He had 1 bad game.   Seattle was up and down with a good game 5 and really good game 7.  He was ok games 1 and 2 against Vegas (I don't blame him for either of the regulation goals in game 2) but also didn't come up with the huge saves we needed that could have stolen game 1 or save Suter or horrible line change in game 2.  Game 3 is on literally everyone.   I think he would be the first to tell you he hasn't played at the level he needs to play at but to say, declaratively, "he isn't what we thought he was" is a little over the top.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think y'all forget (or don't know) we're the 10th-12th (depends on source) youngest team in the league. there are some old players on the team and some that have been here a while, but up and down the lineup there are fresh as fuck faces. the more I think about  how things have shaken out, I'm pointing more to that than anything right now. many guys on this team have decent playoff experience, but not a lot as a group. regardless of what happens this season (can a motherfucker that has watched every game and invested a lot of time and energy in to this group get a motherfucking miracle up in here???!!!!) our window is open for the next 5, at least. we'll be back. 

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

I think Otter’s been pulled three times this postseason, which is three more than I would’ve expected when the playoffs started. Oh, and Otter had an insane .954 save percentage against Calgary and is the only reason that series went seven games.

We have a lot of guys who have no-showed this series, including Miro Heiskanen, and Otter hasn’t cleaned up the mess in the back like he’s done in the past.

He was great last year and without DeBoer’s offensive tweaks we were far outmanned. But we still lost, and Jake’s dismal performance this year (we’ve won no less than 3 games despite him) far outstrips any performance in a Round 1 loss. 

I thought Otter was pulled in Game 3 against Wild and was wrong. He’s been pulled in 3 of the last 8 games. You’re right that our defense hasn’t helped him, and I’m likely being too hard on him. 

27 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

He was great last year and without DeBoer’s offensive tweaks we were far outmanned. But we still lost, and Jake’s dismal performance this year (we’ve won no less than 3 games despite him) far outstrips any performance in a Round 1 loss. 

I thought Otter was pulled in Game 3 against Wild and was wrong. He’s been pulled in 3 of the last 8 games. You’re right that our defense hasn’t helped him, and I’m likely being too hard on him. 

All these games are running together.  His game 3 against the Wild was bad regardless of whether he was pulled.  I remember the first game he was pulled against Seattle the defense was just absymal and I didn't even blame Jake but overall he's not been at the level we need.  I told my buddy I attend games with after the big Game 7 win that we probably need "Game 7 Jake" 4X against Vegas as I don't think we can blow them out and that's proven true so far.  If he played at his top level either game 1 or 2 we win those.   

Regardless I'll be really interested to see what we come out with tonight.    I feel like that late goal in game 2 just broke this team.  It certainly sucked the life out of us and all the Stars fans in the arena in Vegas that were ready to celebrate.  Win or lose hope they come out with some fight like Carolina did last night.

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

All these games are running together.  His game 3 against the Wild was bad regardless of whether he was pulled.  I remember the first game he was pulled against Seattle the defense was just absymal and I didn't even blame Jake but overall he's not been at the level we need.  I told my buddy I attend games with after the big Game 7 win that we probably need "Game 7 Jake" 4X against Vegas as I don't think we can blow them out and that's proven true so far.  If he played at his top level either game 1 or 2 we win those.   

Regardless I'll be really interested to see what we come out with tonight.    I feel like that late goal in game 2 just broke this team.  It certainly sucked the life out of us and all the Stars fans in the arena in Vegas that were ready to celebrate.  Win or lose hope they come out with some fight like Carolina did last night.

This is how Vegas plays. They're like Iceman in Top Gun. They don't make mistakes and just wear you down and then when you make a mistake, they pounce. Games are usually played pretty close with them unless you self-destruct as we did in Game 3.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

For tonight's game 

whatever-happens-cowboy-bebop.gif

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This is how Vegas plays. They're like Iceman in Top Gun. They don't make mistakes and just wear you down and then when you make a mistake, they pounce. Games are usually played pretty close with them unless you self-destruct as we did in Game 3.

Angry The End GIF by Robert E Blackmon